Monday 4 July 2011

UCI cock it up again

 It's 5am.  It's Stage Two of the 2011 Tour de France, Contador is well cross at having been caught up in a spectator-caused accident close to the finish - but not close enough to be covered by the 3km rule - and being now 74 seconds behind the Schlecks. There is much grumbling over breakfast.

And it's the Team Time Trial, no-one's favourite day. Oh well, come on, say the coaches, get your bony butts out there and get spinning.

The boys are all togged up, the practice bikes are all rolling, numbers are pinned in place (*yelps of pain from the back of a coach as one rider tries to pin his own numbers on without taking his jersey off first*) and soigneurs are anxiously checking lists to ensure that riders are presented in the correct order.

Suddenly, a stir goes through the Village.

"They want to check our saddles."

"What?"

"They want to check our saddles. UCI Rule 1.3.012 says that the TT bike seat support must be horizontal, and they are doing spot checks now, right now, before the race."

"Whaaaat!"

Yes, in an utterly bewildering move, the UCI decided that it was time to spring a surprise inspection on the TT bikes, right before the TTT. In the TdF. The biggest bike race in the world. The biggest cycling event of the year.

Are they crazy? After all the kerfuffle we've had with doping, Contador, race radios, etc etc, they now decide to throw this into the mix.

A hilarious jig was produced: 


....  there - isn't that just the most ("least") professional-looking bit of kit you have ever seen?

And the bikes were trundled up one by one, fitted onto the jig and if they "failed" then the mechanics had to alter the saddle positions until they were accepted.

The report in VeloNews said that almost every one of the 22 teams were caught out by this, and in the SaxoBank team, nearly half of the bikes had to be adjusted.

Can you imagine how upsetting this must have been? I mean, I don't ride a racing bike myself, and I've certainly never attempted to achieve the TT position, but I've read enough times about how hard it is to maintain. The briefest and least-informed of looks tells you that their backs are pretty much horizontal, and they need to be able to see ahead, so if you stand up straight and tilt your head back until you can see the ceiling above your head (*terrible cracking noises as Cougar Girl attempts to look up: just ignore them, I'm built of Meccano*) then you have partially achieved it. Add to that the effort required to pedal, to keep your balance, to assess road conditions, to cope with the distraction of your DS shouting in your ear "Faster, faster! Go on! Don't brake! You can do it! Faster!" and so on, and even a complete non-cyclist can appreciate that having your saddle position changed could well be disastrous.

Bjarne Riis summed it up beautifully when he said "This is bullshit," and  “I’ve never seen something like this before. Bullshit.”  I make no apologies for repeating his language.

Radioshack's Johan Bruyneel was pretty miffed as well: he cornered the UCI WorldTour manager, Philippe Chevallier, and apparently said

“The whole season you’ve ruled like this (with last-minute decisions and poor communication with the teams),” and. “We spend thousands each year in the wind tunnel and today in front of the world’s press, at the most important race of the year, you do this!”

Chevallier replied curtly, “I won’t discuss this here.”

The report goes on to say that "team managers from several of the world’s biggest teams insisted on stepping behind the bike-check tent and airing their grievances in private to Chevallier and the other UCI commissaires in attendance. "

"Airing their grievances" - I bet they were!

And best of all, and I wish I could take the credit for spotting this, check out the highly technical device used to get the jig level before they start checking:



Can you see it? Yes, there is a little pebble underneath the bar. Wow. I am speechless. (Well, nearly.)

They create a jig specifically for measuring level-ness, and omit to add a simple mechanism for levelling the jig first???  A little screw-out leg, perhaps, with a spirit level built in at some point?

Unbelievable.

Meanwhile, as we all know (*hangs head in shame*) my mean-spirited and small-minded suggestion that maybe Contador would be stung by a bee (or swallow a wasp) has completely backfired, as apparently Frankie did exactly that shortly after the TTT began.

The report in AP - which has been repeated by about a dozen papers word for word, but for which I can't find any additional details - says that "he initially “panicked” before remembering previous similar experiences that helped calm him."  Does this happen a lot, then? I know when I was a dirty greasy motorcyclist, back in my hell-in-leather teens, swallowing flies was pretty common (motorcycle joke: how can you spot a happy motorcyclist? Ans: by the flies on his teeth. Sorry.) but I didn't know of anyone swallowing a bee/wasp. I imagine that could be pretty nasty, as a lot of people are allergic to them.

It didn't end there for poor Frankie, apparently: "he also cut his nose during the stage after hitting a camera."

Held by a spectator, presumably? What is it with the spectators this year?

Talking of which, if the UCI want to throw their weight around a bit, I suggest they leave the orientation of the saddles alone, and force the organisers to do a bit more work on  crowd control, and marshalls to stand on the traffic islands.

All year so far we've been watching what you might call "lesser" races, and comparing their camera work and marshalling to the TdF, either favourably or unfavourably. Now I'm thinking I have to revise my standards downwards - after the various dramas of Stage 1.

Right, that's all I have to say for today, other than a general complaint about the monotony of the search terms over the last few days.  If I told you that of the top 10 search terms, eight of them contain a combination of the words Andy, Schleck, Girlfriend, Jil, and 2011, well, you can imagine the face I am pulling.  30% of the people who came here via a google search, ie the ones who don't already know where it is, came via "Andy Schleck girlfriend 2011".  30%!!!

And of course I've had to go and Google it myself now... yes, Eisen Andy is first and second on the page, with Miss FeeDee in third position ("Hi, sweetie!") Well, why do I worry? Welcome, Schleck fans! (As long as you are not deranged obsessive stalker-types, we don't like that sort.)

Right, I'm off to finish watching the Schleck On Tour documentary, with thanks to Susanne for the link: it's here, in case you didn't find it.

And thanks to BoulderEl, the new Schleckland Top Newshound, for bringing the whole Bike-check episode to my attention!

12 comments:

  1. Thank you very much for pointing out this 'Saddle-Gate', I didn't know anything about it!
    Reading about it really leaves me speechless and makes me agree with Bruyneel: UCI's way of ruling Cycledom really sucks.

    Talking about search terms: I'm shocked by the amount of visitors who've recently found my blog by typing 'Andy Schleck girlfriend' in Google. The day after I wrote about Jil, my blog received more than 500 visits, it was insane! :O

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Fede! (*big hugs*) On the one hand, it's lovely to have new visitors, but on the other hand.... well!

    No thanks to me, it's all BoulderEl who spotted the story. I haven't had much time for research, so I'm very grateful for any suggestions (hint, hint) for new posts.

    Otherwise I will just have to do lots of posts about "Andy Schleck girlfriend" just to get the new visitor.. and that might get a bit dull, as we don't know anything about her!

    Coug
    (*goes back to watching last 14 mins of the Danish documentary*)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Coug, I will attempt to serve well.

    These are the 3 weeks of the year that historically, I am grateful I "don't have much of a life". I'm down to only part time work these daze and, being an "older gal" (I don't date and am not in a "relationship" with a fella right now) so I have TONS of time to research while watching the days events over and over and over.

    This year, since coverage is so much better for all the races, I've really been able to follow the Tours and Classic's - and have really loved having that opportunity.

    Being an American (though I've lived in England and Switzerland) it was pretty thrilling to have Tyler Farrar win Stage 3 on our 4th of July!, with an American team in the lead. I remember the FIRST year American's participated in Le Tour. Come a long, long way!

    The bah-humbug news of the day was Cav & Thor being disqualified from the intermediate sprint due to the head caresses they exchanged. Cav said that Thor offered to take the whole penalty himself (since he's not interested in Green and Cav is) and that, of course was rejected. It sure shows what charater Thor has though and Cav sounded really appreciative.
    What amazes me is "they" think THAT was excessive contact? Robbie McEwen said he thought it was a simply ridiculous decision. Does anyone that runs these races actually understand racing????????????????

    Frankie says he's not sure what kind of bug it was...eweuuuu! Just grateful he is alright.

    Can't say this Tour has been off to a slow start eh?
    AND - The Pro Tour in CO (LT will be HERE!!!) begins on my birthday (8/22). It's a good cycling year for this lil spectator.

    Onwards,
    BolderEl

    ReplyDelete
  4. Coug,
    Thank you so much for posting the documentary - I wasn't able to access it before , yet, it was sure worth waiting for.

    In best Jens voice....GAWD!

    Cross another item off the bucket list for this ol gal - I have watched Schlecklette (my tag for OGL) shower, shave his legs and get bodywork...
    My oh my! Thanks!!!
    BE

    ReplyDelete
  5. Coug, and Fede, two people (or one pertinacious person) wandered into my blog, from your blogs, clicking from your girlfriend-related posts. Hee hee hee!

    I hope you enjoyed the recipes for roast chicken sir, or madame :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ah, networking, we love it. If we get it right, we could trap these browsers in an eternal loop of jumping from blog to blog...

    Thanks are due to Susanne for finding me the link - thanks, lady!

    Oh - did anyone notice if Andy was wearing his watch in the swimming pool? (*pulls innocent face, knowing that many people will now have to rush to go back to the video to re-watch it!*)

    I read about the Cav/Thor thing, but I haven't seen it yet.

    Here in the UK we're getting the daily highlights programme available via the internet (Yay!) but it doesn't appear until very much later than it was broadcast, so I'll be a day behind with an opinion on everything! But I guess you guys are used to that...

    Coug

    ReplyDelete
  7. *I'm* wondering if the UCI is sticking it to Contador (and in order to do so, they must stick it to everyone) about absolutely every little dumb detail in every rule?? Hmmmm.

    ReplyDelete
  8. No problem - everyone should have a chance to enjoy that documentary!

    And if anyone's really interested in what Bjarne is saying I may be persuaded to translate some of it. (Can you tell I have nothing to do? :P)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey Amanda, are you psychic? You have already guessed which conspiracy theory I am detailing in my next post!

    (*checks webcam to make sure it is still safely turned off*)(*replaces industrial thickness oven-glove and super-strong tape*)(*on the camera!*)

    Susanne, if you have nothing to do, can you do my botany learning work for me? (*opens top of head to allow information to be pushed into it*)

    Coug

    ReplyDelete
  10. Interesting to me that LT has made no comments about the saddle thing. Do you suppose they are "a together enough team" to have actually paid attention to the communications from UCI? They (UCI) said notification was sent out....
    And it seems that UCI is certainly very supportive of LT - like, does McQuaid go visit other teams and stress how important they think they are? Notice Garmin didn't seem to have an issue either? Johan B has already burned so many bridges....
    And yes - if it's possible to translate what Bjarne says in the documentary - I'd sure love to hear it.
    BolderEl

    ReplyDelete
  11. I wouldn't mind doing your botany learning work, Coug, but I don't think the result would be good.

    Anyway, translating what Bjarne said in the documentary gave me a reason to watch it again so I'm happy :P
    Some places it might sound a bit weird because he sometimes has strange ways of expressing himself. I've also edited out all the swearing :P

    First part:
    Andy is good at showing respect for the people around him in a nice and pleasant way. He is always popular. He meets people with an open mind and is just happy. You care about him because he is, who he is.

    Second part (about Matti Breschel and Andy as neo-pros):
    Just a happy boy. I'll never forget the day I came in... He was sharing hotel room with Matti who was a neo-pro too. I could barely kick in the door for all the clothes and junk lying around. I come in and look around. "What's happened here?" And the two boys are just smiling: "Er... nothing." That won't do. If you want to go somewhere you have to get your lives under control and that begins in the suitcase. The talent is obvious but things just go as they go. It'll all work out in the end and it will to a certain degree.
    (I'm not entirely sure of what he's trying to say here but how cute are Andy and Matti as neo-pros? xD)

    Third part (about signing Andy):
    Friends in Luxembourg said: "Fränk is strong, but there's another on his way. His little brother is even stronger." When I saw the brothers going down a descent together and their technique... It looked great. I thought: They can supplement each other well in a lot of races in the mountains and on the descents. There were many good results in the future. The potential was there anyway.

    Last part:
    He is an excellent climber without being the typical climber. But when he's down in weight he can ride uphill really fast. I still think he can improve. But... now he's not riding for my team so I won't give him any tips. (Laughs)

    I thought I remembered Bjarne talking about the Vuelta but I must have been wrong... Or I completely missed it? Ha, ha xD

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, thanks Susanne, great stuff!

    This has changed my views of Bjarne somewhat: I'm used to him being the heavy-handed Boss-Man, it's nice to see that he has a softer side.

    And it's very nice to see that the awful antagonism has gone, and he can make jokes about Andy not being on his team any more.

    Coug
    (head now at least containing a little bit of botanical knowledge)

    ReplyDelete