Sunday 17 July 2011

Jean Vois, and Andy Slaps A Fan!

Oh, Jean Vois! Gasps of horror/amusement as he emerged from the bushes part-way down the Port de Ler,  waving his bike in one hand, and operating his radio with the other ("I need some bike parts") (can only imagine what the tufty-headed mechanic was thinking - "some" bike parts?  What has he done now?), then howls of "Noooo!" as he hit the deck hard at that following corner.

He said that his back tyre had popped on the descent, hence the dive down into the greenery, but he didn't know what happened the second time. Brave Jean!

Alas, I have no photos of any of the action: I have been thinking that my photos of the TV screen aren't exactly wonderful, but now I realise that they are much better than nothing! Will try again, I promise.

Well, things are progressing a little: Andy and Frankie did the Schleck Sandwich and Conti didn't like it one bit: he was looking much stronger today than he did earlier in the Tour, but luckily he still couldn't quite attack, and Andy was the stronger brother today, making up a couple of seconds on Conti.

It's still quite annoying to hear the commentators all saying how they were expecting more from the Schlecks, and prophesying that Conti is getting stronger every day and is going to be back on top form in the Alps.

But I guess we have to admit that Conti really is the best, strongest Tour rider of the current period: Andy himself said so a couple of years ago, he, commented "Alberto is a simple guy, with both feet down on Earth. You can laugh a lot when you're with him, he's a nice guy and we get on very well. Unfortunately he's also a very strong rider, perhaps the greatest talent of the last 10 years. It's a pity that I've had to come across him during my career. Anyway, he's not unbeatable".  (With thanks to Miss Fede for the translation of that interview.)

So, just briefly, I had to make a quick post while you all still have videos of the recent stages.

Anyone else spot it? Andy slapping a fan?  (*laughs*) Not really a slap, I don't know if there's a word for it. They do it a lot in comedy shows. Read on.

Stage 12, when the race was about 1.5kms from the end, Frankie and Andy had done the Schleck Sandwich on a not-quite-with-it-Contador, and Frankie had pinged off the group and came in 3rd.

Andy was just going under the 2km-to-go banner.

He was just behind Conti, and in my opinion was just about to swing to his left round Conti for another attack, now that Frankie was safely out of the way up ahead, when a fan came running up alongside. You know, one of those annoying spectators who think it's somehow encouraging to show the riders that they can run faster uphill than these guys can cycle....

Look out for him, he's wearing a blue top, red shorts, and black leggings.

He runs alongside Andy, and Andy does that lovely thing where he puts the palm of his (left) hand on the guy's face, then pushes him away.

Not a punch, that would be aggressive and painful. Not a slap, that would be pouffy and spiteful. Just a simple hand-off in the face, and the fan goes spinning off the road, probably in embarrassment.

Hilarious!

I'm hoping that someone will get this up on Yootoob, but for now you'll have to rewind the videos for yourselves.

Lovely to see OGL defending himself for once.

Actually, he was quite funny on the after-stage interview from Stage 14 in the Pyrenees: after politely answering the usual questions, he had to ask the interviewers to "give me some space here, please"  as there were a dozen or more hands shoving recorders and mobile phones (how unprofessional is that?) in his face. (*smiles proudly at OGL standing up for himself in the face of intrusive, pushy, and stupid-questioned journos*)

Right, that's all for now, time to rush back to LLB's to watch Stage 13 which should be mostly flat and a bit dull, but is on the coast so there might be (*spine-chilling chords*) WIND which might be fun.

I still think that Andy and Frankie should swap jerseys, as Conti is clearly sticking with Andy no matter what. Unless L-T have decided to decoy Conti altogether, and are actually planning for Frankie to go for the GC?

We shall see.... enjoy the racing, everyone.

10 comments:

  1. Hi Cougs
    I afraid I am not feeling good vibes for OGL and Frankie boy. I don't think they are riding smart at the moment.

    I think they are looking like the stale bread that gets thrown out whilst the meat gets eaten (albeit tainted with a bit of clen) or the pies( Evans, Voeckler, Sanchez, Basso etc) are number one at the picnic table! Terrible analogy I know but baad stage 14 for me. Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Cindy,

    Do not despair,little one! (*Obi-Wan tones*)

    1) Frankie and Andy are both in the top 5, and have been in the top 10 all Tour so far. Conti has only just scrambled in there.

    2) The Alps are much more "their" territory. Andy said of yesterday's stage that the climbs weren't steep enough or long enough for them to do a proper attack. (hate to think what the rest of the peloton are muttering under their breaths about that!)

    3) To win a Grand Tour is asking a bit much of a newly formed team. Even one with as big a chunk of already-team-members as this one. The stresses and organisational teething troubles are HUGE and there will be/have been mistakes made this year that will be rectified next year.

    4) Luck is on their side (so far): no major prangs, no broken bones, no mechanicals. I know a Tour is not won by the luckiest rider, but they are doing all right.

    4) Andy said that 2 years ago, Conti was stronger than him. Last year he said that Conti was no longer stronger than him. This year, he is looking stronger than Conti.

    5) Contador, tolerate him or despise him (!) is incredibly strong, he is on fantastic form, he's won any amount of races this year, he's currently ranked 2nd in the UCI worlds rankings: (Fabian is 6th, Frankie 19th, Jakob 27th, Andy 36th) he's come through a period of enormous pressure with style, he should be exhausted from the Giro but he isn't: I think we have to accept that he is probably the strongest rider out there at the moment. He might even beat our boys. But they are still a pair of fantastic cyclists.

    6) A lot can happen in a week.

    In case this makes you think that I am predicting that they will lose, that's not quite the point: I want one or other or both of them (preferably Andy, sorry Frankie) to win, but I can see that there's a possibility that they won't. (*gnashes teeth quietly*)

    This will not change my admiration of them, or my support of them.

    It's easy for us to sit here and say "Oh, they should be doing this, or that" but they have professional advisers, their DS is/are very experienced, and we can just cross our fingers that things are actually going to plan. The L-T site doesn't seem concerned, and best of all, they aren't "puffing up" the performances in the rather ridiculous way that they did earlier in the year. This makes me think that things are indeed going to plan.

    Stale bread makes a terrific bread pudding, by the way, whereas pies just make you fat!

    Coug

    ReplyDelete
  3. Coug, the only video I could find, grainy, but there it is around the 8:49-8:50 mark: the unmistakably polite Schleck variation on a punch:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_u2o8BfHKI

    I remember he was obliged to punch a Basque flag out his way, on the climb up the Col du Tourmalet last year. Really, these spectators, what kind of synaptic misfire is happening there? "I know, I'll vociferously show my support by getting in the cyclist's way, invading their personal space, and being a general nuisance."

    I'm sorry Coug, but in my inexpert, "I had to look up what palmarès meant" opinion, I find Andy's constant looking back, frustrating to watch. Particularly as his domestiques (as an aside, I think Fuglsang is way too good a cyclist in his own right, to be a domestique) are killing themselves to give Andy, and Frank, an advantage towards the end of the stages.

    In fairness though, I think Andy did try in earnest to drop the other General Classification contenders yesterday--it just didn't work out. I mentioned on Fede's blog that Phil Liggett, MBE, and Paul Sherwen put a bit of fear in my heart, when they suggested a few stages ago, that it would be difficult to wrest the maillot jaune away from Voeckler. Well, it seems to have been an astute observation--that guy is stubborn! He also needs a permanent tongue depressor, and/or a priest, to exorcise his positively demonic tongue.

    I think stale croissants, with eggs, sugar, raisins, vanilla extract, and half-and-half make a particularly excellent bread pudding :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I immediately saw the "Andy Hand response" and thought of Eisen Andy - oh-oh, somebody tried to touch his butt! It was a very stylish move on Andy's part, I thought.

    Andy tweeted that doping control snagged him after the race finish of Stage 14 AND AGAIN 1 HR LATER at the hotel where he had to walk past diners in the restaurant with his urine cup in his hand.
    He was not a happy camper. Can't really blame him. What are they thinking?

    Frank over-reacted to a headline in Cyclingnews then had to retract some.

    Fabian apparently did a mini explosion at the smothering crowds seeking A&F at the bus.

    Their tension is showing.

    I'm glad they get a re-set day tomorrow. I think the LT team has done some tremendous recon and the boys are very well versed in the capabilities of their rivals. Next week should be very interesting. I know the goal is 1&2 placement on the podium in Paris for F&A. I think they will do everything they can to accomplish that. These last 2 weeks have not pushed the Schlecks to an edge at all. They are waiting. That's my story, and I'm sticking to it. The other GC's HAVE pushed it to keep up and stay close. Hopefully, that will be apparent next week.
    BE

    ReplyDelete
  5. New hashtag on Twitter #wondertwins
    and this was one of the posts I thought I'd share:
    Andy and Frank look around so much because if one goes too far from the other, they lose their super powers.
    BE

    ReplyDelete
  6. Haha, I remember the strong arm move by Andy. It pleases me when riders push spectators away, especially when they pop over the barrier to where they're not supposed to be!

    I think Andy's only mistake is constantly looking back, most likely for Frank. I love their brotherly bond, but Andy needs to accelerate and show these people who is boss. Especially Voeckler. ;P Andy looks strong and he's at least trying unlike some other GC contenders. I'm still hopeful for the Alps.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Arrrraaauuuugggghhhhhh - my son is now at the hospital with a broken collarbone and hopefully nothing else after a bike crash today. I have no details on how or why he crashed yet. He already broke both collar bones when he was 14 when he got run down by a car. They told us that once they break they heal so much stronger - they usually don't break again...WRONG! Shoot. He's a very unhappy camper. 3 months into a new job....(he's 36 by the way, not a kid). Well, (takes big breath) a little up close and personal compassion training for all those guys in France.....
    It really sucks.
    BolderEL

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, BE, so sorry to hear about your son! I hope he heals quickly and as painlessly as possible.
    PeeDee

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well...looks like a separated shoulder - hospital not much help - separated clavical bone from acromion bone on left shoulder. Sent him home in a sling and back in a couple of days for an MRI and very likely surgery unless it pops back in on it's own in the night or something. OUCH! Even at 36, he's always my baby - and I am so hurting for him and wanting to somehow fix it. Sigh. He wasn't hit by a vehicle or anything. It was 97 degrees today and he did a 3 hr ride and basicly "bonked". He had one of those gel paks that he was planning to use on the ride home and it had exploded due to the heat - and he just bonked. He's feeling pretty stupid right now...as this was preventable and should not have happened. Trials of an over-achiever.
    Sigh.
    BolderEL

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awww, Boulderado, so sorry to hear about this. Poor boy! I do hope that his shoulder pops back of it's own accord (*eyes watering at the thought*). Sometimes it's worse for the person watching (ie you) than for the person suffering, isn't it? You just wish you could take on the pain yourself, to give them some relief.

    Coug
    PS glad that other people also spotted Andy's stiff-arm, I now have a sort of picture of it, see next entry (see, I am learning.)

    ReplyDelete