Wednesday 13 July 2011

A look back in time

Quote from Wikipedia on the first ever Tour:

"The men waved their hats, the ladies their umbrellas. One felt they would have liked to touch the steel muscles of the most courageous champions since antiquity."

Ah, how little changes.

If you've never bothered to look back at the history of the Tour, I can recommend having a quick read through the Wikipedia entry. Fascinating history!

I love the idea that they used to have to scrounge their own food and drink en route...

Here you can see an early Jean Vois, centre, wearing his German national sash, accepting his trusty steed from the team's top mechanic. Or possibly the butcher.

A member of the Junior league warms up, ready to pace Jean Vois back to the peloton.

Meanwhile, just as a bit of light relief, I found this amazing video on Yootoob, showing the lengths to which the Mavic neutral service guys will go in order to get cyclists back on their it-fits-me-I-don't-want-your-horrid-yellow-one bikes:



Great, huh?

Stepping back in time yet again, I found this lovely little article whilst trawling through news archives - don't ask, it was one of those days when you look up one thing, then you see something interesting and go and look at that, and then you see something else.... anyway, Little Fab, back in his early days

Gerolsteiner's Fabian Wegmann rode the Clasica San Sebastian Sunday for the fourth time, returning after a two-year break. He never had much luck with the race in the past, and things didn't go much better this year.

It started out well and went fine until the peloton came up against the protest by the ETA, which blocked the road on the Jaizkibel. "Disguised types with a chain jumped into the road to hold us up." Familiar with such actions from the Tour de France this year, for example, Wegmann and the other riders don't let themselves be beaten. "At times like this we riders aren't particularly squeamish and are willing to fight our way through," he noted on his website, www.fabianwegmann.de. "Singly and at intervals of about 30 seconds we went by the blockade, rider by rider, which meant, of course, that the field was totally strung out."

So Wegmann had to catch up with the field in front of him, and "I went all out." He made it to the group but "I overdid it in the chase. The natural result: I totally exploded on the next hill."

But Wegmann's bad luck day wasn't over yet. Not willing to give up entirely, he says, "I sprinted for 50th place and 100 meters before the finish line fell flat on my face. Suddenly a rider pulled over and rode directly into my handlebars. How embarrassing, I lay there with one tire off and had to carry my bike in my arms over the finish line.

"Conclusion: This race doesn't like me, and I don't like it either. But I will still come back again."

Yay for Little Fab! Who has turned out to be 4 years older than OGL, oops, sorry Little Fab, not so little, but you know what I  mean...

Moving smartly into the present: today's stage of the Tour was pretty dull by the sound of the ticker - thank heavens for that! - and just in case you think I've forgiven and forgotten, here's a pic of what Johnny Hoogerland looks likes after that barbed wire fence:

Poor man, not only 33 stitches (we can see about 11 of them here, ouch) but he spent the rest day lying on a bed with his legs encased in "cold compression" tubes, I can't imagine that was a bundle of fun for him.

Still growling about the hit and run driver.....

And, to end on a good note, with thanks to Figgy for the link, here's a photo of OGL in the sun on the rest day:

13 comments:

  1. The "old Tours" were totally intense~! They carried tools, wheels, food, (wine and cheese).
    Dudes were awesome! I bet Johny Schleck and his dad have awesome tales!

    Sometimes, I think technology isn't so great - then I think about how much I do love what the internet brings and I realise, I am just getting older and older...........and I can only imagine what life will be like on this little ball in 50 years. I am glad I grew up when I did. I was born in 51.

    Lovely pic of OGL. You do have a way of finding the best shots!

    Looking forward to the climbing tomorrow. Have to get up at 4:00 AM, (yikes) but it will be worth it I'm sure.

    I told Frankie and Fabian that we were "willing" no rain, no wind! Support me on that if you can!

    Curious to see how COnti's knee (ahem, ahem) is tomorrow!

    Onwards............
    BolderEL

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Nationaal Archief in The Hague has a beautiful collection of old Tour photographs:

    http://www.flickr.com/photos/cycling_racer/galleries/72157622995730283/#photo_3153878359

    I love photographs of people watching cycling races from their balconies. I guess I cannot help but romanticise such images—I do wonder what other people’s lives are like, and there’s something about their stillness, juxtaposed with the movement the cyclists passing by, that I think says something about the ephemerality of life.

    When I took a French culture studies course a few years ago, I remember reading that the origins of the Tour had something to do with the Alfred Dreyfus Affair (Dreyfus was a Jewish officer in the French army, accused of selling military secrets to the Germans.) Le Vélo, the largest sports newspaper at the time, were backed by Dreyfusards (people who believed that Dreyfus was innocent). Among the anti-Dreyfusards (mostly anti-Semites from the French political right, I’m sorry to say) were automobile magnates like De Dion, and Édouard Michelin. They established a rival newspaper called L’Auto. In order to generate interest in their new paper, and to promulgate the anti-Dreyfusard agenda, one of the journalists for L’Auto, suggested that the paper sponsor a long-distance cycling race around France.

    BolderEL, Alberto's knee? Pure gamesmanship. He's been grousing that he's still enervated from the Giro, yet it hasn't hindered him from attacking at the last minute on some of the smaller uphill finishes. You know what will test that knee? A swift kick in the shins, from a mountain goat.

    It's the Tour people, and I really don't have the patience to pretend that I like Bertie. I don't.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Susan - I am not fond of Conti either. Actually, I am sad for Andy that the big challenge has gotten co-opted by all the insanity with the crashes. I don't trust Conti as far as I can spit - and I generally hit the front of my own shirt - so it's not much.

    I do think Johnny H is my new hero though. No one can replace OGL for me - and many of the LT guys - but Johnny has won my heart as well. Actually, he did that when he moistened his finger and touched it to the camera lens in the middle of the race one day and I thought to myself - he's different, who is that guy?

    Well, we're dealing with flash flooding here - so I should probably go. Not in my yard yet - but fairly close. Time to pay attention.
    Be well folks!
    BolderEl

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah yes, the history of the Tour is full of fascinating tidbits. I especially enjoyed learning about all the cheating that happened when riders were riding at night, so of course they eliminated that! Another great close-up of OGL--thanks so much!
    Cyclekat

    ReplyDelete
  5. Flash floods? That sounds quite serious. I hope that your house is on some kind of elevation, or that you have sandbags in place. Be safe out there!

    Cyclekat: The photograph was taken by Alan Taylor. You can see more of his amazing work here:

    http://www.theatlantic.com/infocus/2011/07/tour-de-france-2011---part-1/100105

    Ignoring the image of the Suisse Devil, who I think is just trying to get hired for kiddie birthday parties--why else would you own a van emblazoned, "The Suisse Devil"?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ah, I love getting lost in those Wikipedia entries. I remember reading about some of the early TDF winners who died in the "Great War."

    Cougs, this is one entry late, but I love your blog and comments layout just the way it is for reasons other Schlecklanders already listed.

    *pets pretty picture of Andy* He also looked peach fuzzy like that in person. :)

    Meh, Contador.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Susan! All is safe and sound for me. I live at the base of the Rocky Mountains - so when there is lot's of snow melt coming down our many creeks and we get many inches of rain on top of that -the creeks rise very quickly. We had a 4 ft wall of water coming down the main creek. I am a bit north of that - so no problem. On my north also there are many burned out areas which causes problems when we get heavy rains. 1500 lightening bolts in an hour - quite intense storms we've been having. Makes me feel like I'm at the Tour~! Let's hope their weather is better for the rest of Le Tour!
    BolderEl

    ReplyDelete
  8. That first quote made me laugh!! ah yes...'steel muscles'...bahahahaha. That mechanic on the car was also very funny... and that was only in 2005?!!?! The madness that is cycling! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ah, we love it!

    So, Conti couldn't beat the Schleck Sandwich yesterday, huh? That's the way to do it, boys! Attack one after the other until the rivals are gasping for breath, then whoever is freshest pings off the front and gets a podium finish, yay!

    The other option is to swap jerseys part-way through the race, so Conti ends up marking Frankie and doesn't notice Andy shooting off up front.

    I've been watching the overhead shots carefully, and Conti doesn't seem to care if he has team members around him or not, as long as he is half a bike length behind OGL. As tactics go, it's a perfectly acceptable one. Now we just need the Leopards to either do the decoy action, above, or to box Conti in while Andy zooms round the outside. ("Round the outside? Round the outside!")

    And this afternoon I might actually be watching it live, if I'm good, and work really really hard this morning...

    Coug
    PS BE, hope you didn't get washed away by the floods? (*sends virtual sandbags*)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Way to go Boyz! Stage 13 should be
    interesting. LT is strong. I expect more attrition.

    All here is dry and safe, thanks Coug!
    BolderEl

    ReplyDelete
  11. BE, hope nothing bad happens to your house and area. It's so beautiful out there, but also so strong. Overwhelming to be there as a tiny human being...

    Coug, same as you. I worked so hard this week, just to be completely free to watch that awesome Plateau de Beille stage. Now only my nerves have to be in control and my voice ofcourse...

    ReplyDelete
  12. http://cyclismas.com/2011/07/cartoons-from-eric-tour-de-france-2011-stage-14-andy-schleck-interview/

    Irreverent I know - but sure made me laugh out loud!! The boys are doing great! Lot's more sweat before the end of this. Hope Jensie is good - and Jakob was having a hard time with hip & back stuff - hope he fared well also.
    BE

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh Boulderado! How can you encourage such things! (*shakes finger, pretending to be cross*) "But he left you the other day, did-n't he?" (in robot voice)

    Moving on.... oh Jean Vois! What an amazing rider.

    Well, they all are, having seen the carnage and bravery of this Tour so far.

    Yes, what's happened to Jakob? Did he fall earlier? He's been disappointingly absent from the climbs, but I didn't know that he was in pain.. maybe cutting his hair has sapped his strength?

    Coug
    Rushing to make quick post about Very Funny Incident where Andy slapped a fan....

    ReplyDelete