Thursday 21 July 2011

TdF stage 18 - Andy Schleck, Stage Winner!

It's raining heavily in England this afternoon, so I had to stop work, come home, and put the computer on. Oh look! The Yahoo ticker is on, I can follow the race - yay!

I've come in at just the right time, with 60km to go, Andy attacks. Quickly, I sign in to Twitter so that I can squee "Go, Andy!" with everyone else.

As I don't have any pictures of the stage (and I'm having to make up the visuals in my head, always a dangerous thing) here's a great pic from yesterday, when Andy was descending with some style, and with his tongue hanging out in concentration:


Hey, look at his socks! I have a pair just like that! (proud).

The squeeing on Twitter has reached huge new heights, even Tom Stamsnijder is saying "Go Andy!". Poor Nim is having nervous breakdowns watching Andy descend, and Gnasher wants someone to hold her hand, it's so scary. I tell you, I can't wait to watch this footage tonight!

Have you encountered the Eurosport Yahoo ticker ? It's brilliant if you can't get live footage - which I can't - and it's even better if you sign in to Twitter at the same time, so that you can get more information from all those crazy people who watch it live, but manage to Tweet at the same time.

This is what it looks like:



And the little cycling figures are animated! They even have the right jerseys on.  And every so often, they lean forward as though putting in a bit of extra effort. Adorable.  The red bar shows you whereabouts in the race the leaders are, which is very helpful.

Underneath, you get a text description of the action, which is automatically updated, so you don't need to keep refreshing the screen. Like Twitter and blogging, the newest one is on top.

They've just commented on Contador calling for a new bike partway down this final descent, in preparation for the final climb. They say "He changed his bike a lot before the final descents in the Giro. Then, the tactic paid off. Will it today?"  I am now struggling not to bring up the subject of mechanical bikes again!

A lovely little touch on the Yahoo ticker: as the stage was won by Andy ("Yay!") look, his little avatar has it's hands up in triumph!


Well, I'm emotionally exhausted now, from all that squeeing, but well done Andy, well done Frankie,  well done all the fangirls who contributed virtual pushing for the last 15kms: Yar Boo Sucks to all the critics (who are now shrivelling up inside their holes, as Gnasher said) and let's hope there's a bit less Schleck-bashing now.

And tomorrow I will be watching it live! No, on TV, not "live", live. (Although I do now have a passport, great news and look out world.)  So fingers crossed for an equally exciting day,  I probably won't be back here to comment until after the weekend, so good viewing, one and all!

12 comments:

  1. hooray Andy! Courage and guts, and a thrilling race today!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sad to see him lose out on yellow by just 15 seconds due to the uglies >;(
    but an epic triumph from someone who actually makes the a race an actual race unlike the "others" who just sit there.

    Also glad to see that Conti and his boyfriend, Sammy, are completely out of contention! ;D
    Holly x

    ReplyDelete
  3. (*singing*) Happy (sha la la), it's time to be happy (sha la la), Schleck won the sta-age (sha la la), and on Sunday he's wearing yellow! (sha la laa)

    Ok, after behaving in such a ridicolous way, I can go fainting somewhere ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. YeeHaw!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Andy found the Glory today!
    I am just so, so pleased and happy for Leopard Trek! So deserved!
    At a boy Andy! That's the guy we know - the BEST!
    Just finish off the butt kicking tomorrow and I hope he shows how much he's worked on TTing on Saturday. Just a few more days Andy, you can do it!
    I hope he recovers really well tonight. Time for some adrenalin to help carry the load and I believe that was installed today!
    Proud Andy Fans today!
    BolderEl

    ReplyDelete
  5. A few hours later ...*checks pulse* ...yep, still excited! :D
    -Gnash

    P.S. Great screen capture of mini ticker Andy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Man, if I had that much adrenaline going through me during the race, how must it have been for Andy? What a great race.
    PeeDee

    ReplyDelete
  7. Absolutely incredible riding today! I was getting race updates on my phone early this morning (Tucson time is 9 hours behind France time!) and I couldn't concentrate at all on work! I was jumping up and down in my office with the excitement of a Schleck 1-2 finish--I'm so proud of Andy and Frank!
    Cyclekat

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Geo-Girl, hi Holly - nice to hear from new people, welcome to Schleckland! Yup, a great result, shame about the 15 seconds, but my goodness, what a race.

    I am hoping that all those critics have their heads firmly in buckets today.

    LLB and I stayed up until half past midnight to watch the recording of the stage, and even though I knew how it ended, my pulse was joining in on the descent - especially when he wobbled at the edge for a perilous second!

    Fede! So glad to hear you singing again, that must have put your Father, Uncle etc in their place! No more "why do you support the Schlecks" in your household, I bet!

    Hey Boulderado, all the fangirls on Twitter were giving "virtual pushes" to help him up the hill - I think we were all exhausted by the end!

    If only, only, only he can do it all again today - well, perhaps not quite in such spectacular fashion, but to get a couple of minutes over Robin Voeckler and Evans - and preferably get that yellow jersey today, and squash Conti down another couple of minutes: not a lot to ask for, is it?

    Hey Gnasher, have you got your voice back yet after all that yelling at the screen? I am convinced that it was our support that helped him, aren't you? (only joking!)

    PeeDee, long time no speak! I wasn't even watching it live, I was following the live ticker and repeatedly tweeting "Go, Andy, Go!" and that was pretty exciting, actually. Poor Nim stayed up until 2.30am her time to see the end of the stage - I bet she's asleep over the lunch-table today. It WAS a great race, wasn't it? Yar boo to the critics, that was the way to shut them all up. Pulling a break from 60km out, and doing the last 15km all alone, up that hill, goodness, I can't even contemplate how his legs must have felt that night.

    Did you see Voeckler as he came over the line? He couldn't even get off his bike, he just sat on it, being held upright, head hanging, with his minder/soigneur fending off the cameras. I didn't see Andy's post-stage interviews, we're going to finish those this afternoon then follow Stage 19 more or less live - which reminds me, I must go!

    Cyclkat, I do hope the peeps in your office are understanding! It was pretty awesome, wasn't it?

    Right! Get ready to give virtual pushes, everyone, final climbing stage today! Yay!

    Coug

    ReplyDelete
  9. Maillot Jaune for Eisen Andy today.....on Alp D'Huez. Focus and strength in tomorrow's time trial....and yellow on Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Greetings, Coug. I'm a little puzzled here. I understand the bit about the 14-year-old girl bit and the squeeing and the way too young for me factor, but I don't really see the problem. What's to recover from? What's so awful about being gorked on.... um.... Andy Schleck all the time. You can make yourself a nice little alternative reality where you two share an Uncommon Passion and where everything is always fabulous all the time, except it gets a little lonely when you choose not to follow him to every single race. You can watch him communicate with you from afar via secret gestures. When you're feeling feisty, you can even pick a fight so you can make up later (whether he grovels to get you back is up to you). *sigh* It's a nice life. Or are you trying to say I need to go to Fabianhab?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Allez Andy!
    And I'm sorry - but Conti never ceases to just irritate and bother me. Cadel pisses me off as well.
    As my son says "you're just gonna defend and protect that team (LT) and those guys regardless...".
    I really hope the Boyz slam it tomorrow. From the beginning - I like what they stand for (the Schlecks and the LT team) - I like what I know of them as people. I want to see them succeed. I don't trust Conti - I think Cadel has much deeper issues - and that repels me. I see the Schlecks as healthy, wholesome and good guys. So I support them with vigor.
    Here is to a great day tomorrow.
    BE

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well. I'm not downhearted, two guys on the podium is pretty damned good!

    Dirtbunny: (love the name!) *points finger at Naughty Corner* Get thee behind me, Satan! That's pretty much what got me sent to Andyhab in the first place!!!! And yes, you need to go to Fabianhab, right now, missy!

    Oh, Boulderado (offers shoulder for you to cry on) you and me both. Never mind, let's just be proud of what they did achieve, and let's all all laugh hard-heartedly at Conti.

    Two Schlecks on the Podium! Yay!

    Coug

    ReplyDelete