Thursday 31 March 2011

Should Fangirls Go To Races?

Well, duh, yes of course we should.

But what would we expect? Would it be exciting? Would it be deadly dull? What would we need to take?

Today, we shall explore some of these concepts together. Well, having broken Twitter (see yesterday's post) I can't waste any time on there, so I may as well do this!

Firstly, I have to recommend that you go and read Fede's new blog, Bananas About Bikes:


...which brings together real stories from real fangirls (and fanboys, if there is such a word!) of their experiences at races.  Oh,  I can hear Miss Fede shouting at me "It's not MY blog, it's OUR blog!" as it's a co-operative effort, let's make that plain: this is a fantastic idea, Fede has rounded up some hard-working fangirls who are prepared to write out their first-hand experiences of cycle races, to share with us.

As Figgy said in a comment yesterday, "...if I wanted boring reportage of facts, I could go to any cycling news outlet for that."

And I am sure that there are lots of us who feel the same way: we all have the internet, we can read the Cyclingnews and Velonation reports for ourselves, but it's much more interesting to read about how it appears to other people like us, who don't get VIP passes but stand in the crowd with everyone else.

As you know, Schleckland is actually in the UK, so I'm thinking of attending at least one stage of the Tour of Britain which occurs in September. All I know so far is that it starts in Scotland and ends in London, which is not a lot to go on, but I'm expecting more details next month.

So, what would I expect from attending a race?

Well, I've read the excellent Spectator's Guide to Cycling, which contains helpful hints about where to stand.

For instance, don't go to a downhill section, they will whizz past at 500mph and be a mere blur. Furthermore,  you will have to either walk uphill to get there (puff pant), or walk uphill back to your car at the end of the day (puff pant, phew). The finish is the obvious place, but it will be crowded with hundreds of others.  Personally I think I'll go for one of the small towns en route, preferably one with twisty turny streets to slow them down: or - and/or - one of the feed stations.

Yes, I have a burning desire for a souvenir feed bag, or Musette, as they are properly known (darn, I can feel the Fangirls' Guide to Pro Cycling approaching...) preferably in Team Leopard Trek colours, although it could just as easily turn out to be a Garmin bag, or even a Sky bag.... ...last year I even emailed SaxoBank asking if they had one left over at the end of year, but they never replied (*sniffle*).

I've been watching the race footage very closely, and the riders slow down considerably for feed stations, thus giving more chance to see their hard-working, sweaty little faces. They also discard the emptied bags a few hundred yards further down the road, so that will probably be my position of choice: firstly I'll enjoy seeing them collecting the bags, then I'll run off down the road after them (trying not to look like a crazy fan) and see if I can pick up an empty bag. Who knows, I might even get an unwanted gel bar as well... I've often wondered what they are like.

Incidentally, talking of gel bars, in case (like me) you've ever wondered about them, this is what they look like - right - little sachets with a rip-off top.Worrying similar to hair conditioner or shower gel.... yuck, bet that wouldn't make you pedal faster.   I expect they have strict regimes on the bus to ensure that the shower gel stays on the bus, and the energy gel goes into the musettes....

These are the ones that Team Sky (my second team) use: I guess it's an obvious small sponsorship item, to get your local team to agree to use your particular brand of gels.  The blurb says that Team Sky asked for non-citrus gels, as they thought citrus caused stomach upsets for the riders.. guess it depends how many they eat? We all remember the Specialized commercial, don't we: "I can eat 20 gel bars without throwing up!"  I guess that gives us an idea of what the normal consumption would be...

They seem to cost just under a pound each, by the way: that's about two-thirds the cost of  a loaf of bread, to put it into context for non-UK readers, and to save me having to find a currency converter.

You can see the cyclists fiddle them out of their back pockets, rip the top off with their teeth, squirt it in, then throw away the pack. Apparently the particular benefit of gels is that, being pretty much liquid, they don't contain crumbs: when cyclists are poodling along (as much as pro cyclists ever poodle) they can eat the normal energy bars or muesli bars that we all eat, but when going at speed, the risk of choking on a crumb becomes quite serious, so they take the gels which slide down nice and easily.

Personally I am quite capable of choking on liquid as well as on crumbs, but I see what they mean.

Where were we? Oh yes, talking about going to a race.

Firstly I'm going to come right out and say it, I don't intend to be one of the crowd hanging around by the start line trying to get autographs and a word with the stars.

I know that's probably the main reason for going, for a lot of people, but I so don't want to to be one of "those" fans, you know the ones I mean. The one with the camera shoved in the face of the cyclist, who meanwhile is desperately trying to avoid eye contact and get on with signing in, focusing on the race, interviews with proper journalists etc.  Also, what on earth do you say? "Break a leg"? "Oh I think you're a jolly good cyclist"? "So, tell me, what is the significance of your team number? Do you get to choose it? Do you have a 'lucky' number, I notice that you are often number 6, for example?"  I can't imagine that they are in the mood for any sort of serious conversation, which just leaves "good luck" and "give us a kiss". You can see my problem, can't you?

No, my reason for going is to see whether it's true that the atmosphere of a race is different from watching it on tv: I strongly suspect that the view on tv is going to be massively superior to what you see from the roadside, but I want to find out for myself.

Bearing in mind that I have never been to a sporting event of any sort, let alone a road race, this is what I think the day would be like: settle down everyone, this could take some time.

Preparation:

As soon as the Tour of Britain release details of the route, I download the Race Manual and go though it carefully, checking the stages to work out which stage is a) closest to home and b) most interesting. I'm not sure that I'd take a day off work just to watch a time trial....  I need to work out where to leave my car, and how far in advance I need to get there to avoid the roads being closed off.

As the UK is not quite as committed to road racing as, say, France, it probably won't be that difficult, but I'd like to find a way to be able to get to my car and drive off to another spot, thus doubling my chances of seeing the race and gaining a musette...

Race Day!

Up with the larks, tea and toast - or will I be too excited to eat? Ha ha, no chance, I'll have breakfast as normal.

Sandwiches made the night before, into a bag with bottles of water, camera, spare hanky (in case I get overcome with emotion, or use it to wrap around the scraped knee of a cyclist who falls off  his bike right in front of me and .. no, stop it, aaagh, back to Andyhab!), and a folding camping stool to sit on. Yes, it's a big bag - I'm hoping to collect some loot, remember?

I've already made sure that my car contains useful items such as an umbrella, a selection of coats, spare shoes, more water bottles etc.

Right, we're off! No, I just have to go to the loo before leaving. Right, we're off! I've already worked out my route, so the map is open on the passenger seat.  Spare a moment to wonder if there are any other Schlecklanders doing the same thing, somewhere else in the country.....wouldn't it be great to meet up with some of them... put aside day-dream of meeting other fangirls, and concentrate on driving.

Uneventful journey, arrive in chosen small town in plenty of time, check with policemen on the streets that my plan to get back to my car and drive off will be ok. "yes madam," they say, "you should be fine." UK police are always polite. Scout around for best place to wait. It starts to rain. Go back and sit in car.

Two hours later, things are starting to stir, rain is lessening, so I go and stand by the road.

A long time later, a motorbike with flashing lights comes through, followed by a small group of riders, followed by a large group of riders, followed by a string of vehicles that takes 25 minutes to pass. Well, that was exciting.

Make my way back to my car, move some of the barriers (where did they come from?) so I can get through - luckily it's a small car - and drive off to Location Number Two, the feed station.

Park on grass verge along with several others.

Walk along with umbrella to the Feed Zone: yes, it's still raining, and the wind is getting up. Welcome to sunny Britain. Spot the Team Leopard Trek soigneurs, draped with musettes. Consider asking for one, but I don't have the nerve. Maybe afterwards. Go back and sit in car for an hour or so. Signs of life! Get out of car, oh good, it's stopped raining.

Make my way up to the Feed Zone, now strangely busy. Where did all these other people come from? At last, cyclists! Whoosh!  Funny, I thought they slowed down for feed zones. Oh, they do. They're still going pretty fast, though. Completely unable to pick out any known faces, partly due to them all being splattered in mud and looking grumpy - no smiles to be seen.

Walk along the road until I start finding abandoned bags and bottles. Hmm, pity I'm not an Astana fan.. or a Garmin fan.. or a Liquigas fan....  or - oh, what the heck, I'll just pick up what I find.

Stagger back to my car through the mud, who would have believed that mere push bikes would stir it up so much? Maybe it was the enormous cavalcade of vehicles following, the ones that you never see on the tv. At least I have now seen the famous Broom Wagon!  And I managed to get several bags, one of which might well turn out to be a Leopard-Trek bag, once I get all the mud off - so I'm happy.

Get back in car, struggle to get it off the now-muddy verge. Head for the finish, with the car's heater turned right up - ahh, lovely! Arrive at the finish area, am directed by policemen to park on the outskirts. That's fine, no more than expected. It's raining again, so I sit in the car enjoying the warmth and checking my camera - hmm, a little disappointing, lots of blurred photos of blurred, wet, muddy blokes on bikes. Oh well, pretty much as expected.

Walk into town with my umbrella, receiving strangely warm hails from the Radio Shack bus. Oh, it's a Nissan umbrella, and they sponsor Radio Shack. Shout "Up the R's!" to them. They look at me oddly. Walk on.

Huge crowds of people, despite the rain - well, I guess we're used to it, here. I'm glad my umbrella is a big one, it means I can use it as a shield against anyone who tries to squash me. The barriers are three deep, so I can't see much of the finish, but there's a lot of cheering and shouting.

Suddenly it's all over, the buses are going, so I drift back to my car, change into dry shoes, and drive home.

Well, as you can see, I don't have particularly high expectations of the day! Which is probably better than Plan B:

Arrive early at the start, warm sunny day, lots of promotional gear being given out, get Leopard Trek hat, t-shirt, flag and big foam hand to wave, along with sweeties and bottles of drink. Am spotted by group of ladies who are also wearing Lux socks. Hey, they know about Schleckland! Sing the Eisen Andy song, with much laughter, attracting the attention of a Leopard Trek soigneur, who recognises it despite our terrible Luxemburgisch accents. Andy Schleck comes over and makes us sing it again. He laughs. We give him a chorus of Chou Andy for good luck, kisses all round (several ladies faint at this point but I am made of sterner stuff). The sun shines, we scream and wave our socks as they set off....

.....OK, real life will probably be partway between these two: I am prepared for a long tiring day with no real focus, but I am hoping for a good day with some excitement, some photos, some mementos. Roll on September, I'll keep you posted!

25 comments:

  1. I went to a TdF stage last year. See video clip here: http://thebeetgoeson.net/?p=1525

    We did go to a little village. Get there early so as to enjoy the promo caravan that comes through first. Bring chairs/rain or sun gear/cash for the souvenir bag (I got one and I'm glad!)/camera. Make sort of a day of it.

    If you plan properly, you might also be able to bop around and catch the race more than once (we did not).

    Yes, they fly by you at 90 mph. But it is way cool. If I get to do it again, I want to try the top of a col.

    My fear was of getting trapped by closed roads/cops/parked cars, but that did not happen: once the pelaton flew by, everyone cleared out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Tour de Lux is June 1-5 . . . you could stay with us!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those are hilariously modest expectations, Coug! I do hope just a little Plan B sneaks in there.

    I've wondered myself about the experience of attending a race. The Tour of California is relatively close for me (and near to my brother's home) but it means a two day drive or plane flight so I'm unlikely to give it a go.

    I'm reeling from the idea that you've never attending a sporting event of any kind! How is that possible? In cycling, I've only been to Cyclocross events but they were way fun (they make many loops of the course and you can move about to watch from different sections). But, I've been to many other sporting events (baseball, basketball, a couple of football games). The atmosphere is always better in person than on TV - just a different experience. I think you should try and make your trip happen this year!

    PeeDee

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post CG! And thank you very much for the link to our (Marleen, Marleen, Mar, Leela, Tien, Cristin, Susanne and Fede's) blog! :D
    If any of you has a 'tale from a race' that you'd like to share with other supporters, feel free to contact us (more information available on the blog's webpage)!

    Attending a race can be great fun, especially if you go to the top of a climb (Tour of Britain doesn't have anything similar to Mortirolo or Alpe d'Huez, but the organisers will surely find some hills to include in the parcours).
    Coug, I think you should really go attending Tour of Britain this year, if you get the chance: you won't see the race as well as on LLB's telly, but it will be great anyway. The feeling you get when the peloton is arriving is something really special!

    Btw, I realise I'm getting too lyrical. On to something more pragmatical, here are some little advice for you ;)
    First of all: print the start list of the race the evening before the great day. Start lists usually have the jersey numbers of the riders next to their names, so if a rider arrives on his own during the race you can look at his race number and be able to recognise him (the other supporters will look at you in a very envious way).
    Another advice that I can give you is to look for information about an eventual radio broadcast of the race (listening to it makes time go faster as you wait for the riders to arrive).
    Talking about the musettes, your plan to get one is very likely to bring you good results ;)
    However, be ready to fighting for them with the other supporters (just joking ;)!

    ReplyDelete
  5. RE Gel Bar + Conditioner confusion, I sincerely hope Fabü never gets mixed up or he'd be crying into him planket x

    Eli

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, Amanda, what a great video!! There you are!! (Another lesson: wear simple bright colours so that you pick yourself out on the the videos later.)

    Yes, I had heard about the promo caravan, but I didn't realise they went round the route, I thought that was only at the Start point. Good news!

    Ooh, oooh, Tour de Lux: damn, must get that passport sorted out. (*starts scrabbling about to find the photos again*) I'll certainly look you up if I come there!

    PeeDee, hey! Sorry to be a complete freak but no, I don't "do" sport, not since leaving school. Bear in mind that in the UK, "sport" means "football"... or possibly cricket... the nearest would be that in my teens and 20s I used to follow motorcycle racing, and after than BTCC, (touring car racing) and of course when I worked for Nissan I went to any number of events, but they were all what I call circuit events: and anyway, it's not the same when you are part of the team/support network.

    So it's all quite new to me.

    Fede, (*waves*) hi! I already know about printing out the race numbers, but thanks for mentioning it, as I forgot to do so: I got in the habit of writing them out when LLB and I were trying to follow Paris-Nice and Tirreno at the same time. And, oddly enough, this year, it's getting harder to spot riders by their cycling style. I'm wondering if all this "bike fitting" is making them all pedal the same way? The most ergonomically successful way?

    So yes, I'll have my crib-sheets of rider numbers, with fingers crossed that they don't change numbers on the day. In Montreal last year, Jakob was winning the KoM points in every circuit, and the commentators kept on saying "It's Laurent Didier" and I kept yelling at LLB's tv "No, it's Jakob! I know that nose!" until eventually the commentators said that lots of people had sent in Tweets to say that their list was wrong: LLB was most impressed.

    However, your suggestion about taking a radio is brilliant, well done! A great way to keep up with what's going on. I suppose in these modern times I could also take my mini-laptop and follow a ticker, or the Tweets... except of course that I broke Twitter, and it doesn't work any more. Oops.

    Coug

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Eli, we crossed! I think Fabian uses lots of conditioner, but never, ever, ever uses a comb... or maybe he rubs the energy gel into his hair???

    Coug

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello Coug :D

    Great post! I can honestly say I missed Schleckland... I can't remember ever commenting there, but I was reading and laughing my heart off :D (*bad girl*) ;-)

    Thank you for mentioning our blog!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Cristin! Welcome back, glad to hear that you used to enjoy Schleckland.

    I'm enjoying your new blog too - I read every post really carefully, looking for hints for my Big Day Out!

    Coug

    ReplyDelete
  10. I don't know if they do crits in the UK, but if they do you should try to get to one of them too. The cyclists ride the same round for 20/30/40 times so you can get a really good look at them. It's something special, although a real Tour is much more tense ofcourse.
    My favourite spot (last year Giro and TdF) happened to be a little bit after the finish line. If you are brave you can even touch them..(I didn't dare and assumed the riders wouldn't appreciate it anyway).

    ReplyDelete
  11. I was going to say what Barbara said.... the races where they ride around and around a course are definitely the best! but everything else you wrote about... I saw it happen on the tv coverage haha, I felt bad for people in these villages near Colchester or somewhere, where the riders rode through at about 100mph (ok maybe not that fast) and it was all over too quickly for them. One of the best places was this ridiculously steep hill in Swansea "Constitution Hill" and I imagine that was one of the only good places to watch them at a speed manageable for eyesight.

    I completely lucked out when I went up to London last September for the last Tour of Britain stage (also my first ever and only race I've seen haha)- they went around a set route near the Docklands 8 times in total, and there were places where you could see them go under a bridge and then go round a roundabout and come past you again.... think I saw them more than enough times :D took lots of photos too. There were people that filled the area near the finish line and they were there all throughout the race, must have been so boring. With each lap, I moved to a different vantage point and it was awesome.

    I too am waiting for them to put out the routes for this years race, I will definitely get myself to the London one at least (although I'm worried it will be one that has no laps, just a long ole ride). If the route happens to come down 'sarrf for another stage/somewhere near, I might try and get to it too. :D You should most definitely get to one of the stages!! Even though I didn't see Schlecks or Cancellaras, I saw Wiggins and Greipels huge scary legs and lots of others!!

    'Andy Schleck comes over' LOL.... my saddest (sad as in pathetic) moment, was noticing that the Saxo Bank teamcar racing around the route was one that I had seen Mr.Schleck get into on a photograph. bahahahahahh. Agh.... huge post from me here, just because my only race that I've ever seen is a TOB one :)) Thanks for the laughs in this post, especially the bit about Fabian's gel/shampoo mixup :D

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yes, loops are definitely the things to hope for - no doubt that's why the Loupe race was so popular (er hem).

    Last year the route was announced on the 20th April, drat, so we'll have to hang on a bit longer: looking at past routes, they seem to be trying to cover as much of the country as possible, which is good for us, not quite as good for the riders: they must spend all their time in the team buses, racing up and down the motorways!

    I'm definitely going to get to at least one stage - if only so that I can write a report of it for Bananas About Bikes!

    Coug

    ReplyDelete
  13. Coug are you really not coming back to twitter?? sometimes it's temperamental that's all!!

    Also, hoping for your Plan B, which would be far more fun!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm going to the Tour of California... well, I'll see 3 stages including the time trial. Maybe I can write up something for you. I do a lot of travel writing as a hobby.

    --Allie :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hey Leelu, I can't go back to Twitter, I broke it! (*hangs head in shame*)

    Plan B does sound more fun, doesn't it? (*wistfully*) Say, how are the clog-dancing mice today - still keeping you awake? LLB says are you sure they are mice and not drop bears? I told him that drop bears rarely scrabble around in ceilings, but he thought it might be a mutant indoor variety.... with big claws.... sweet dreams...

    Hey Allie, whoo hoo, Our Glorious Leader says that's he loves that race, so you're bound to see him there - take lots of photos! Yes, we'd all love to read your report of the race, in due course: http://bananasaboutbikes.blogspot.com/ is the best place, to get them all together.

    Coug

    ReplyDelete
  16. I don't care what he does, it looks god damn amazing after he's finished :)
    Eli

    ReplyDelete
  17. lol no just mice this time, thankfully!! But I thank LLB for his concern :)

    Also, you did not break twitter, it still works, COME BACK!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Coug, I hope you will attend and write about the Tour of Britain! Races are really fun to attend even though you have no idea what's going on most of the time. :)

    Hubby and I were at the Tour of California last year. We stood at the highest point of a multi-loop mountain stage. It was the best of everything, great views, slower riding and several chances at seeing awesome riders. At one point Spartacus cheered on my husband who was running alongside the riders (running very carefully, I might add). If ever you see a man running in a rainbow colored clown wig, he would be mine. :) We even scored a water bottle. Woohoo!

    We had looong periods of waiting until the riders came back up the mountain, but we were hanging out with friends, taking pictures of the crowd (lots of crazy costumes) and I think I even had a book! The wait was worth it, especially when the peloton came through. It’s so much fun to cheer them on. Cow bells are highly recommended! I will definitely be there for a couple of stages this year (Hi Allie & PeeDee, maybe I'll see you there! Look for Lux socks ;]), and hope to contribute to the Bananas blog.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hey Gnasher, sounds great! I like the idea of hanging out with friends while waiting for the action! I am hoping that LLB will be able to come with me to a Tour of Britain stage, as I do think it's going to be a little tiny bit sad to be there all by myself.

    Cow bells, hmmm, not exactly very British. Might have to work on that one. Also, I don't own a cow bell, and there aren't any handy alps around here... I might have to think about that for a while.

    Coug

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hey Natasha!

    What stages are you going to? We're going to Seaside, Solvang, and Thousand Oaks. My husband has a cow bell! LOL! (He plays the drums.)

    I want to try to get to the hilly part in Solvang to watch the time trial. As for the other stages: In Seaside, we're staying only a 5-minute walk from the start of the stage, so I hope to get a good place to stand to watch them leave. And we're also within walking distance of watching the race come in for the end in Thousand Oaks. This will be my 1st race! I'm so excited :-D Any tips??

    --Allie

    ReplyDelete
  21. Ooh, fun! I love the central coast! Do you live in that area?? We will definitely attend the Mt. Baldy stage and possibly Thousand Oaks. I haven't seen the tour route yet, hopefully we’ll have a multi-loop stage 8. If that’s the case, I highly recommend finding yourself a nice spot on the hills. Much better chance to see the riders. Last year, we stood on a high point for all but the last loop so we could run to the finish line. A few things we had last year that made me happy: lawn/camping chairs, food, water, a hat! A few of our friends rode their bicycles on the route before the race, so if you're into that sort of thing, it's possible! What else? Ah, of course, your very own cow bell. ;) The ToC needs more cow bells! lol

    ReplyDelete
  22. Ooh, Allie and Natasha, have a great time! I look forward to hearing your reports (and I'll be looking for the rainbow clown wig on the television coverage). Maybe next year for me!
    PeeDee

    ReplyDelete
  23. Ooh, ooh, seconded! Have a great time, and put your reports on Bananas About Bikes, then we can all enjoy them!

    Coug

    ReplyDelete
  24. Just reading this now (a little late). Am a bit surprised by the tone of the post and by the responses, because it seems that no one here has considered just how much more enjoyment it's possible to derive from watching a race as a fan if you have participated in at least one bike race yourself. You understand so much more, and appreciate what the competitors are going through. I strongly recommend it, even if it's just a 20K citizens' race for a local charity. Additionally, if more fans tried a race or two themselves, it would be enormously helpful to getting people involved in our beloved sport.

    ReplyDelete
  25. *laughs* a little late? No kidding! I am now a confirmed "proper" bike racing fan, having been to all the different disciplines, and having stood in the rain right until the end of a TT.

    Of course you are entitled to your own opinion, but I don't think that it's at all necessary to ride a bike yourself in order to enjoy watching it.

    I think that those of us with eagle eyes (ie all Schlecklanders) see quite enough detail to appreciate what the competitors are going through.

    In fact, off the top of my head, I would say that anyone doing a 20k charity ride will have no concept at all of what is involved in pro racing! Pootling along in fancy dress at about 5% of the speed of the peloton... nope, I don't think that would help at all.

    But don't let's argue about it!

    I don't know if you are planning to start here and read the whole thing in the correct order, but if you are, chapeau!

    Coug

    ReplyDelete