Tuesday 22 March 2011

The Face Plant: now I know what that means...

If you've been following this blog, you'll know that I'm a bit behind with my cycling viewing at the moment: we don't get much TV coverage in the UK, so we have to be grateful to Eurosport for what we get.

Unfortunately, we got 8 days of Paris-Nice and 7 days of Tirreno-Adriatico, all on at weird times of the day, and overlapping.

Now, as I have mentioned, I don't actually have TV at home (no, really!) so I rely on my boyfriend to let me watch his TV if there is cycling on. Luckily he has just bought a Hard Disc Drive recorder - I will still be using words like tape and video, but you know what I mean - and we managed to record pretty much all of it, but it's taking us a while to watch it. So you'll have to excuse me if some of my comments here are a bit out of date!

Anyway, the "Face Plant".

I heard this expression for the first time, then, over the weekend, it cropped up in the commentary on the Tirreno-Adriatico.

It was used in reference to Andre Gruipel from Omega Pharma Lotto, apparently he fell off in the warm up on the first day, and had to do the Team Time Trial looking like this (right), poor man.

He was obviously feeling bad, as he pulled out of the race on the following day.

I guessed from the context that he'd fallen off in such a way as to make contact with the tarmac with his face.

And then I found this:




There's not really a lot I can add to this, except AUTCH! as Andy and Frankie say!

And actually, I can add something (apart from "anyone know who the rider is?" ) and that's another face plant:

Oh dear!

It's a wonder that any pro cyclists have any teeth left!

And yes, Figgy, I don't have TV. Well, why should I? I don't care for:

a) Cooking shows - I can already cook.
b) Garden progs: see above. Plus they make me throw things at the screen.
c) Reality TV (*makes throwing up gesture*)
d) Football (*repeats throwing up gesture*)
e) House makeovers - for heaven's sake, throw out the clutter, paint it plain colours, how difficult can it be?
f) Soaps (*repeats throwing up gesture*)
g) So-called Talent shows - ugh, shudder, not likely.


Is there anything else on tv these days? LLB lets me watch the cycling at his place, along with Pro Bull Riding if  I am good, and occasionally we pass the time with winter sports - we're both quite keen on Nordic skiing, bob sled, and I don't mind Skeleton Bob even though it's quite scary to watch, but I'm afraid I cackle hysterically at Luge:

I  mean, can you imagine a less flattering angle for a photo?

And the way the competitors' bodies, in slow motion, wobble around like a wet-suit filled with custard - sorry troops, can't take it seriously.

Where was I? Oh yes, now that Stargate SG-1 has finished, there's not a lot of point watching tv, so I don't.

Instead I have an extensive library of DVDs, and I have just finished watching Twin Peaks. This has been quite a revelation to me, as I didn't watch it when it came out (guess why? Yup, no tv), and now at least I know who the Log Lady is/was.

And I've seen David Duchovny in drag. Very convincingly! I shall leave you with this image, and invite any comments...

5 comments:

  1. WOW!!
    At first sight I thought it was Freddy Mercury.
    Which movie?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mulder?!

    I don't care for reality television either, I do enjoy quite a few shows produced over in the UK however, like Lewis, and once upon a time, Inspector Morse.

    I'm not sure if the BBC is considered public television, but I find that publicly funded stations here, have fairly good programming. They mainly air reruns of shows like Midsomer Murders, Cracker, Prime Suspect, and a lot of costume dramas, but there are also fascinating documentaries about things like the Thames Barrier, child geniuses, and how artworks from the Louvre were safeguarded from Nazi expropriation during the war years. I loved learning that the Mona Lisa was preserved in a temperature controlled ambulance!

    I'm also a fairly hopeless Doctor Who fan.

    Aww, I wish I was a self-taught cook. I mostly learn from reading cookbooks. In the very least, tv chefs are good for a bit of a laugh. Especially when they assume that people have ingredients like truffles, and lemongrass on hand.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey Barbara, impressive,huh? Much prettier than Freddie Mercury, I think.. it was an American TV series called "Twin Peaks" which came out in the late 80s/early 90s. What they call "a cult success" as they still have an annual festival where fans go to Snoquomie (is that how it's spelt?) where it was filmed, and dress up as characters from it.

    Yes, Figgy, the BBC is publicly funded, but is increasingly dumbing down to get audience figures, and honestly (shakes head) it's not what it used to be. And it doesn't seem worth the licence fee and the mental pollution to catch the occasional one very-good programme, so I just don't bother!

    Coug
    (and you thought that YOU were the Luddite!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Did you know that that gorgeous David has been treated for sex-addiction not so long ago?

    For quite a few years I was addicted to the X-files and before that also to Twin Peaks, but now I just got OGL.. For how long? Time will tell.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Barbara, you fickle thing, you!

    I'm also very keen on the X-Files - hmm, let me think, David Duke, slight overbite. Kevin Sorbo, slight overbite. Andy Schleck, slight overbite.

    Is there a pattern emerging here?

    (Kevin Sorbo = Andromeda, and Hercules before that.)

    Sex addiction? I thought all men had that, as part of the natural order of things?

    Coug

    ReplyDelete