Thursday 1 September 2011

Vuelta - thank heaven for Rest days...

...as it gives me time to catch up with posting about what's been happening.

I have to start with the truly horrible camera-work that we are suffering - Eurosport keep on telling us that it's not their fault, they are just relaying the images that they are receiving. Does that  mean that everyone else in the world has to watch the last grand tour of the year rotating between these equally un-lovely colour schemes:

1) Camera Bike 1 at the head of the race: all orange kits have gone brown.
2) Helicopter: pulsing colour so the trees go bright green... then dull green ... then BRIGHT green.... then dull green....
3) Camera Bike 2 on the peloton - dull colours and somewhat out of focus.
4) Camera Bike 3 - floating around - BRILLIANT TECHNICOLOUR so bright that the blue of the Andalucia team actually hurts the eyes.

The only point of note in stage 2 was spotting JVS with his sleeves rolled up, yay!

Then for some reason - ie there not being enough hours in the weekend - we jump straight to Vuelta Stage 6. Look, there's a Garmin rider with his sleeves tucked up. "JVS!" I squee. Hang on, he's nowhere near tall enough. Errrr, it's a different Garmin rider! What's going on, are they doing this to tease me? Or has JVS - also known as Garmin 2 - started a trend within the team? We will probably never know..

Stage 7 - well, nothing of interest happened, and LLB and I were getting a bit distracted by the scenery. If you can call it that. Barren..... bare earth.... olive trees! More bare earth.... dead grasses..... olive trees!

Stage 8 starts with the news that Tyler Farrar is out, he had a bad crash the previous day and probably shouldn't have even tried to start this day, but you know what these cyclists are like ("supermen") and they will insist on riding if not actually dead. So Barbie Barbie is off the leash! And there he is, out there in the break. Go, Barbie Barbie! (In case you've forgotten, Heinrich Hausler is sometimes known as Barbie, and a superbly talented and amusing fan made a Barbie Barbie doll... and a sort of live-action-with-dolls-cartoon-strip.  Actually, the "making of" page is even more fascinating.... )

Today, we have an addition to the Terrible Camerawork: the main BikeCam has a big smudge on the lens, just to the right of the centre. It's a bit like that CCTV footage of vandals and burglars, where their faces are fuzzed out to protect their privacy. I have no idea why random, and ever-changing, cyclists need to have their privacy protected.

No wonder la Vuelta is considered rather a lesser race than the Giro and the Tour - if they can't even get decent pictures out, well!  Our Eurosport commentators are suggesting that the Eneco Tour is going to be "bigged up" and the Vuelta reduced to two weeks of racing. I am beginning to think this might be a good idea - thinking back to the excellent Eneco footage.

Awww, Anton, my favourite Carrot (Euskaltel), after struggling like a dog for the last few days, has suddenly popped up in 6th position! Go, Anton!

General observation: LLB and I are staggered at the parched, empty landscape of southern Spain.The land appears to be dry and barren, apart from the very neat rows of (presumably) olive trees: then there are some empty buildings in the middle of nowhere, which are presumably olive processing plants. At last - a village! Hmm, no-one in sight. Well, ok, it's siesta time, but I mean - no-one? Not a soul?  With a big cycle race occurring? 

And there don't seem to be any shops. How do they live? I am prepared to accept that maybe they have a simpler lifestyle than we do -  perhaps they buy a bag of flour once a month, and maybe veg from the local market (where is it grown?) each day or so, but still, you'd think there would still be a need for some sort of local shop, and I can't imagine it being anywhere other than on the main street.

LLB thinks that they are zombie towns.

Oh, here's another one: this one has a single line of rail track running into it. The track is as near to overgrown as you can get, in a situation where the weeds can't grow.... there are no cars, just more empty buildings and empty houses. How do they get to the olive processing factories, then? Walk? Cycle? Donkey? (didn't see any signs of donkeys, either.)

Aha, we're entering a biggish town. Hmm, population 25, and apparently all of them have turned out to see the race. They are cunningly all standing on the shady side of the street.

Out of the town and back through the dead landscape. There are small fields, with scrappy hedges around them, but nothing growing or grazing (no grass!) within them. Just the olive trees. How do they live? ("As zombies", says LLB)
("What do zombies eat?" I ask.)
("Each other" he replies.)
(I pull a face.)
("Passing cyclists?" I ask, facetiously)
("Oh yes," he replies cheerfully, "some of the lesser riders will never be seen again.")

Stage 9 is the TT, and it's a nice casual start for the riders, not much in the way of crowds. We can hear the man with the microphone desperately trying to whip the small audience up into a frenzy, somewhat like a children's TV presenter.

Jakob appears, and for once the wobbly, jittery, blacking-out-every-five-minutes camerawork stays steady long enough for us to see him lick his lips, then put his tongue out.

"Leelu will have that on her blog - ooh, any second now!" I say, looking at my watch.  [Pause while I go and check Just Fuglen: shock! horror! Leelu has failed to catch that moment! And here was me thinking that Lee and Nim were the acknowledged world experts on Jakob with his tongue out. Shame, ladies, shame...]

Well, as we all know, Jakob dropped a chain, but picked it up very quickly, almost before the mechanic could leap out of the car - we saw the door of the car opening - and he was away, "going like a train" as our commentators said.

Despite the heat, and the rising wind, Jakob did a fantastic TT and very nearly beat Fabu! Gosh, can you imagine what Fabu would say if he did? Actually, Fabian is such a great guy, I can imagine him actually being pleased for Jakob.

And then we have the rest day, and I get a chance to catch up with blogging.....

26 comments:

  1. So...........did anyone watch the USA Pro Cycling Challenge other than me?
    BolderEl

    ReplyDelete
  2. BE, I watched what I could of it (spent a long weekend with extended family so I had to pretend to be social instead of watching multiple bike races!). I LOVE the Shack Tracker! Dang, that is one hell of a beautiful state you've got there.

    PeeDee

    ReplyDelete
  3. We didn't get much coverage of it, here in the UK, but my next post.....

    Coug

    ReplyDelete
  4. We're getting Universal Sports coverage for the Vuelta and they keep apologizing for the pictures too. It seems better now than at the beginning though, except one of the camera bikes keeps losing the signal.
    I watched some of the USA Pro Challange, except I forgot twice and twice I just missed it. I don't know why, I guess having the Vuelta on TV made me forget to "tune in" the computer. I did watch the last few km videos to catch up. I like the Shack Tracker too.
    Now I'm looking forward to the Canadian races on Sept 9 and 11. They're going to be on English TV here this year - last year I managed to find them on one of the French networks, but my French is not good, even after 6 years of high school classes. "La plume de ma tante est sur la table." is about my speed. I could pick out a few words with the closed captions on, enough to get the gist of what was happening.
    I've been trying not to listen to the team/trade rumors. Radioshack combining with Leopard Trek (sorry, LEOPARD TREK)???ShackTREK? TREKShack?
    emjay

    ReplyDelete
  5. emjay, are you not going to try and drive out to the ProTour races? I'm definitely going to be at the race in Quebec City on Friday, and hopefully I'll catch the Team Presentation at 10AM. I'm still debating if I'm going to drag my friends at McGill to the race in Montreal, but it just seems like too much of a good thing. Besides which, my classes start on the 12th!

    Anyway, it would be great not to be the only Schlecklander there.

    My cover is Ryder Hesjedal :P So if you hear an especially suspect chant of, "Goooo Ryder." That would be me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi MJ, I'm looking foward to the Canadian races too - we really enjoyed Montreal last year. Especially as, being a bit later in the season, there aren't many other races to watch!

    That rumour is just such a silly one! Apparently Johan Bryneel flew out to Lux recently, I think that's what started the rumour.

    Or, you could assume that, as RadioShack are in all sorts of trouble, they are looking for teams to merge with, and started with the best?

    Coug

    ReplyDelete
  7. I heard that Becca wanted nygaard out and the radioshack dude in...no idea where, teen memory and all...
    I loved the shack tracker followed as much of US pro as poss but had to miss last three days due to music festival, anyway, I heard out about Andy's attacks on stage 5 (i think)from a fellow LT obsessive who then got graphic on what she'd like to do to him...Let's not go there. Will be watching US pro next year for sure!
    Vuelta coverage has put me off watching it so I just look at articles on the day's racing, glad to see Wiggo, Jakob and MM in top 10 (:
    Holly

    ReplyDelete
  8. Susan: It's too far for me to go to the Cdn races - I live in Nova Scotia. I will be watching though. Go Ryder!!
    emjay

    ReplyDelete
  9. emjay: I remember watching the Pro Tour races on Radio-Canada (the French CBC) last year, too. How like the CBC to NOT air our own homes races live in their inaugural year.

    Rogers Sportsnet started airing Universal Sports' Grand Tour coverage last year, beginning with the Vuelta. It would be great if TSN (ha ha, yeah right), or Sportsnet, started airing some the Classics as well.

    Me and my family are driving from Ontario. We haven't visited Quebec City in about 10 years, which is a long time to be craving Chez Marie maple butter.

    Anyway, Go Ryder!

    ReplyDelete
  10. breaking news: "I have to withdraw from the upcoming races in Canada because of an untimely, but imperative dental operation at the bottom left wisdom tooth."

    I repeat again, GO RYDER! :P

    Tell off Andy to Jean Vois for me, Coug.

    ReplyDelete
  11. And kudos to Velonews for the most hilarious headline ever: "Toothache yanks Andy Schleck out of Canadian races"

    It kind of encapsulates the absurdity, and LAMENESS of the situation.

    I feel more badly for the Quebec organizers, who are trying to promote tourism in their province. It would have been a real coup for them, to advertise that the second runner-up of the Tour De France, was going to be racing there. But, thanks to the sinewy bison meat, or whatever he ate, we'll never know. Hopefully, no other riders will withdraw.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Something different:

    http://www.theweeklycycle.com/2011/09/scrotums-and-things.html

    Barbara.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sorry Figgy, I was disappointed for you when I saw that news, but I don't find a wisdom tooth infection to be an absurd or lame excuse even if the decision is disappointing to many. There's a great deal of shake-up in the L-T world right now. Between that and a serious dental infection, home seems like the place to be over a PR race.

    This merger rumor is mad, isn't it?! I wish it wasn't true, especially for such a young team to undergo a major change, but if L'Equipe is reporting it...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Awww, poor Andy. He will need lots of cossetting after having a wisdom tooth out. What a good thing he has TinkerJil to look after him, now, otherwise he would be all alone in his apartment while everyone else was off racing.

    Or - *brightens up* perhaps he'll pop over to the UK to recuperate: he can stand in the crowd (next to me) waving a Leopard flag and shouting "Go, Jean Vois!". Yes, that's probably the best way to deal with it.

    Barbara, I haven't followed your link but I just know that it's poor Tom Boonen you are talking about. Ouch! Any report that features the words "scrotum", "hole" and "had to stand on my pedals through the entire 47km TT as it was too painful to sit" is one that should be approached with caution. Thank heaven there are no photos of the afflicted area.

    Returning to the Tooth Issue - what a coincidence, both Leelu and I are lucky enough not to have wisdom teeth, and we are both very happy about it! (Big discussions on the subject on Twitter yesterday. Well, the race wasn't that thrilling, until the last 25kms)

    She was born without them, and I have what my dentist described as "vestigial roots" which means hooray, no wisdom teeth, but boo, if I ever have a lot of teeth removed, they might decide to wake up and start growing. Am trying to avoid that scenario. (*brushes teeth frantically*)

    At this time, I can't see ANY substantiation for the merger rumour at all.

    L-T are soundly based, financially: they are winning races, winning UCI points, they are in every way successful so there does not seem to be any need for a merger of any sort.

    RadioShack, on the other hand, are in deep s&&* having only 13 riders signed for next year, and having the whole Lance thing hanging over them. They desperately need a merger, or a takeover, or something.

    So I should imagine Johan Bryneel is rushing around from meeting to meeting. Common sense says that he would approach smaller teams who might also be struggling - check Vacansoleil, who are currently bottom of the UCI points league, and show every sign of being relegated to ProContinental status next year. Now, they could really do with an injection of a few points.

    And just remember how easy it is to start a rumour these days! Cynically, I wouldn't be surprised if RadioShack started the rumour themselves, in order to get big headlines tellling everyone that they are looking for a merger.

    But I think it's more likely to be a careless comment on a blog or on Twitter somewhere, that was passed on as insider information, and some journo (and we all know how well they research their stories, don't we?) took it to L'equipe, who are a bit short of news at the moment, what with Conti's case being put off yet again, and with nothing coming of the Lance issue as yet.

    Sigh.

    It's a bit unfair that our boys are going to be affected by this rumour, so let's hope that they can put it out of mind for the remainder of the season.

    And there's only 4 more races to go! Boo!

    Coug

    ReplyDelete
  15. @Coug - I would love to see a pic of Andy looking like a chipmunk after getting his wisdom teeth out!

    Have to say I find the merger rumours a bit worrying but mostly really annoying. I hope they don't merge - LT seem fine how they are!

    @BoulderEl - that's waaay too much info from Boonen!

    A

    ReplyDelete
  16. Natasha, I sincerely apologise to you, if I caused offense. I seem to have a worrying knack for being horrible to people, and you're right, a wisdom tooth infection is no laughing matter.

    That said, the deeply cynical part of my brain thinks that the last-minute decision to pull out of the ProTour races, has a lot more to do with the merger craziness. I hope I'm wrong.

    According to L'Equipe (who I sincerely hope got their sources straight, before publishing this sensationalistic article), Flavio Becca will announce the dissolution of the company by the end of the month. If that's true, then I hope the support staff can hastily find other employment--finding yourself suddenly out of work, without a steady source of income, and seemingly out of nowhere, would be a shock for anyone.

    http://www.lequipe.fr/Cyclisme/breves2011/20110905_093745_leopard-c-est-fini.html

    So what happens to RadioShack riders like Levi Leipheimer, and Chris Horner? I don't see these guys acting as domestiques in the interests of either Andy, or Frank. Why should they? They're perfectly capable of winning tours themselves, as the Amgen, and USA Pro Cycling challenge bore out.

    Moreover, what precipitated talks of a merger in the first place? Was Becca underwhelmed by the results of the team, thus far, and thought he needed to bring in a "ringer" like Bruyneel to get the brothers one step up on the podium at next year's Tour? Was it prompted by BMC's acquisition of Thor Hushovd, and Philippe Gilbert?

    Eh, as someone whose had wisdom teeth removed, I would say he'll want cossetting in the form of very powerful prescription painkillers, like Percocet.

    Anyway, don't you have a hunting license, Coug? *hears the sound of a rifle lever, clicking in the distance*

    Er, gotta go!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I don't love the idea of a RS/LT merger but I do believe that there is so much talk about it that it seems it is a strong possibilty. Becca is a business man who has put a lot of his own money in and he wants results. Bruyneel is said to be only focused on the TDF and that would suit OGL. Again, I don't love RS but it seems teams are always changing a lot lately (or maybe I'm still in mourning for the good old days of Saxo/Sexo Bank with our boys).

    There is some vision of Tom's sore rearend but luckily not offending scrotum or perineum. But it does reiterate that there is still a long way to go in regards to bottoms and bicycle seats design.

    And Cougs and Leelu, you can boast that you are further along on the evolutionary chain than us mortals who have had to endure wisdom teeth removal.
    Cindy

    An

    ReplyDelete
  18. Don't panic, Figgy, L'equip is only a journal, and it's written by journos, and we all know how often they get things wrong.

    Johnan Bryneel apparently went to Lux, that's all that started it: and I do think that once the rumour started (probably on Twitter!) JB was very quick to make a "no comment" that was cunningly worded to make it sound as though there was truth in it.

    What did Leopard Trek say? “On the team's behalf, I can flatly deny that there is a merger with Radioshack," said their spokesman, TimVanderjeugde.

    That's good enough for me.

    And the fact that the riders haven't been told anything officially - could this be because there is nothing to tell them?

    Don't worry, Schlecklanders, all is well....

    Auntie Coug

    ReplyDelete
  19. @A........I did not post the info on Boonen. I believe that was Barbara.

    Handy for Andy to have a wisdom tooth flare up right now. Would you want to be in Canada with all the LT/Shack stuff flying about? I'd doubt it. Especially if he "can't comment"....
    I don't believe it's a rumor. Even an interview with Jakob saying the riders are concerned - and no solid confirmation or denial of this "rumor"? Rotten to do to the riders.

    I think there was an assumption that the team would win everything and when it didn't the Sugar Daddy is less than excited about paying up for 3 more years.
    I remember hearing, more than once from Frank that this year was really important that they perform really, really well.
    I heard Kim Andersen really yelling at Andy after stage 5 of the USAPCC - just as Andy started an interview. The games he and Ten Dam and Basso played cost them that stage. Andy said "if I can't be first, then I don't care about it"...and at the end of that interview Andy closed the intervivew saying "I f**'d up"...said on air. Whups!
    My question is - how long will Johann be available? The investigation is not just about riders - but also management and Jeff N is looking to remove them all from the sport (physically if needed).
    When I realized this LT thing appears to be more than a rumor - it made me very, very sad.
    I hope they really enjoyed this last year.
    BolderEl

    ReplyDelete
  20. @Figgy, I appreciate your apology although you don't need to apologize for your opinion. :) I just happen to disagree with it, and think Andy could use the support of his fans right now. It's well known that Andy strongly prefers the TDF and classics over other races so your cynicism is well-founded, but I do think he seems genuinely disappointed. Andy has repeatedly stated over the years how much he loves N. America.

    If he chooses not to race because of merger drama, he has my empathy there too. The boy has the weight of a team, many fans, a nation, and a supposedly impatient rich man on his shoulders. I think the Schleck brothers would find this change personally challenging.

    I hope it's not true. Rumor from Luxembourg is that RTL tried to interview Becca, he refused but did say there will be no merger. Who knows! Maybe Linda from Luxembourg has some insight. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  21. http://www.velonation.com/News/ID/9674/Leopard-Trek-confirms-collaboration-with-RadioShack-and-Nissan.aspx

    BE

    ReplyDelete
  22. http://leopardtrek.createsend3.com/t/ViewEmail/r/9336888E0462C091/419D4CA59AEE007DF039C523302FD418

    Link from the kindhearted, sensible, and classy Natasha.

    Though I'm disappointed that Andy won't be at the Quebec races, and less than impressed with LT management for putting his name on the roster, probably in the knowledge that he was not in good health, I think it's for the best that he's gone back home.

    Notice the absence of Jakob Fuglsang, and Levi Leipheimer on the provisional roster? Wow. How did that pink slip go? Hey Levi, you've just won the USA Pro Cycling challenge, maybe it's time you took your services to another team?

    Just poor, poor form by all the higher-ups involved. Not telling your riders, and the support staff that a hostile takeover is about to take place.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Levi Leipheimer already signed to Lotto some time ago.

    Barbara.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Wow! When I first mentioned the merger rumour a few days ago I thought it was just a ridiculous speculation. Now it's been confirmed.
    And what a horrible name. I prefer my suggestions of ShackTREK or TREKShack.If Nissan is a sponsor, will they have to give back all the Mercedes?
    emjay

    ReplyDelete
  25. So the rumours turned out to be true, although maybe they denied the merger because it's more like a take-over by Radioshack! :(

    Barbara is right, Levi has signed with Lotto a while back.

    I couldn't believe my eyes, reading that press release from LT. No Jakob mentioned as being part of the team at all and he has been worked to the bone all year!! However, an article by Velonation just out:

    http://www.velonation.com/News/ID/9678/More-details-emerge-about-new-RadioShack-Nissan-Trek-team.aspx?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+velonation_pro_cycling+%28Cycling+News+%26+Race+Results+|+VeloNation.com%29

    A 'stage race specialist'?? For god's sake Jakob, get out now!!

    I'm really disappointed, as I have already stated in my rant on my own blog. I can't believe a team could think this behaviour is acceptable, especially not telling riders/staff. And I don't care what the article above says, surely some contracts are going to have to be broken.

    PS yes I am higher on the evolutionary chain... I'm enjoying my view from up here with Coug, sans wisdom teeth ;P hahaha

    ReplyDelete
  26. @BoulderEl - my apologies! I must of just had your name on my mind for some reason while I was writing my comment. Hope I haven't caused any offence :) A

    ReplyDelete