Monday 12 September 2011

Jean Vois leaves Tour of Britain

Oh noes!

It's true, on the very first stage of the ToB, practically at the first corner (well, we didn't get much coverage, and it was about 2 minutes in to the programme) there was a mighty crash, and Jean Vois was one of those who hit the deck.

He broke a finger, and he's retired from the race.

Boo hoo! Poor Jensi!

(Mind you, I would have thought it would take at least a broken leg to keep him out of  a race.)

Also, poor us, here in the UK, as Jensi was definitely the star of the Leopard team, and I was looking forward to waving at him later in the race.

I was even planning to add "40 ! " to my big flag, with the 0 being the Leopard logo, of course,  as it's his 40th birthday this week.

Now, alas, he's been bandaged up and sent back to Berlin for "an operation" on his broken finger.

Actually, the Leopard site says "He will return to Berlin for an operation sometime in the next few days."  So it's not quite clear if he's going to return to Berlin now and have an operation in a few days' time, or will return to Berlin (for an operation) in a few days's time.  Ah, English as she is translated. If it's the latter, then Jensi, why don't you come to Shepton Mallet on Friday, you can stand next to me and watch the race, if you like. I've saved a space for Andy but I don't think he's coming... but if he does, you are both very slim, there's plenty of room for both of you.

I'm laughing as I write that, as I am confidently expecting LLB and I to be the only people in sight for miles in either direction. We are planning the journey to get there well before the race starts, to ensure that we can get a place to park and a good position from which to watch.

We've selected a likely corner, as it's quite clear that corners mean "slowing down" so there's more chance to see them as they whizz past.

We also have a back-up position in case we cant' get it to our chosen one - it's a small hill which might slow them up just a little, with some good laybys for parking in. But I have a feeling that we will be able to park wherever we darm well like! Especially if the weather continues like this - it's wild, wet and windy today, with more to come.

So if you are watching the footage later this week, and you see the peloton take a sharp right-hand bend with two forlorn little figures under umbrellas (mine will have "Nissan" on it, of course), the shorter of the two waving a sodden Leopard flag, with no-one else in sight for miles and miles and miles.. that's LLB and me.

6 comments:

  1. Awww...and today's stage was cancelled! I'm so sorry for you and LLB. And everyone who was hoping to see the race!
    And Jensie! What rotten timing! He's getting a lot of hand injuries lately isn't he?
    BE

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks BE, it's worse for everyone who was going to be somewhere on the route.

    We're not going to it until Friday - weather permitting - Stage 6, and then the London stage on Sunday. We're doing Sunday no matter what, but we might give Friday a miss if the weather is too 'orrible.

    Ah, I love England in the late summer...!

    Coug
    PS Are you on Twitter? If so, pop over there right now and cheer me up....

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am on twitter - awshucks10
    What is your "handle"?
    BE

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Cougar Girl,

    I have changed my name from Anonymous to......Canadian LT Fan or Canadian Leopard Trek Fan. I know....I know the team name is changing - but I fine with living in denial:) Sorry to hear that the race got cancelled. The weather in Montreal was absolutely gorgeous.

    I will give you highlights of the trip. I won't bore you with silly details like COMPLETELY running out of gas in my car and finally finding a gas station only to find out their system was down. I was stuck...NO GAS. Story for another day.....

    To start, we stayed at the official hotel of the race. I was really excited and did not know what to expect. BTW.....brought my dog with me to the hotel. This information will become relevant later on. So, checked into the hotel and headed to the elevators to go the room....and what do I see? Official team lists taped to wall with the riders names and room numbers!!!!!! Oh my......could not believe my eyes.

    My sister was the first to have the LT encounter, she was heading up to the room and got to the elevators and inside was Kim and Brice and lots of bags. She hesitated for a second and was not sure if her and the dog would fit. She decided to wait for the next one. She is still kicking herself.

    Later that evening, I had to take the dog out, I got on the elevator and it stopped on the 6th floor, doors open two LT guys get on. Did not recognize them.....must have been Support Staff. One of them asked if they could pet my dog....'Sure' I said. Oh my.....how many degrees of separation is that from the Schleck brothers?????

    So, the morning of the race.....I headed out early - 9:00am - because I had to walk to the race site and I wanted to get a good spot. Well, I round the corner and.................NOBODY!!!! I think what is gong on? I walk a little further, still nobody, just me, my dog, a few Sunday morning walkers, a cameraman and few Tech guys. The race starts at 11:00! Anyway people didn't start showing up until almost 10:00. Note to self - for next year - 10:00am.

    The race started with the team sign-in and introductions.....so cool!! I had a spot right across from the podium. Got some good pics and video of the race I was hoping to share, but I cannot upload anything to this site.

    Other than that the race was so great. I finally got to see how fast these guys really ride. We had to leave the race a little earlier because we had drive back to Toronto. So, on my walk back to the hotel I noticed that part of road was barred of with pylons and then suddenly three riders go flying by. I then realized the road had been marked for them to find their way back to the hotel. I tried to get a pic....they flew by way to fast.

    Finally, made it back to the hotel, I was waiting for my car and a BMC rider came through the door with his bike. He went up to his room....but returned a few minutes later. I overheard him asking a hotel attendant where he could get a room key. He was told to go to the front desk.....there he was standing in line with everyone else waiting his turn. Too funny!

    Anyway, those were the highlights.....will try to go again next year - might go to both Montreal and Quebec.

    Later,

    CLTF

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so sad he crashed out in the first stage!! :( We won't get to see Jean Vois now... hope that his finger is ok!
    I will be looking out for you on the tv on Friday's stage, Aunty Coug! and maybe bump into you in London :P
    Ps. Did you see Ben Swifty's swift dental appointment photo? :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Cougar Girl,

    I have finally come up with a good name.....Canadian Leopard Trek Fan or Canadian LT Fan for short. I know....I know the team name is changing soon and I am fine with living in denial :)

    I'll fill in on the highlights of my trip. Won't bore you with things like....COMPLETELY running out gas in my car. I barely make it to a gas station and guess what?! Their system was down.....story for another day.

    So, to begin we arrive on Saturday to check into the hotel - it is the official hotel for the race. Very excited about who I might see :) BTW....brought my dog with me - this information will become relevant later on. So, we head to the elevator and what do I see? Taped to wall next the elevators are official team lists - with all of the riders names and their hotel room numbers. Oh my........could not believe my eyes.

    Well, it was my sister that had the first LT encounter. She was heading back to the room when she got to the elevators, she headed to an open one and inside; Kim, Brice and lots of luggage....she hesitated because she did not think there was enough room for her and the dog. So, she decided to wait for the next elevator. She is still kicking herself :)

    Later that evening, I had to take the dog out. Heading down in the elevator and it stops at floor #6 - the doors open and two LT guys get in. Oh my.....I did not recognize them, so they must have been Support Staff. One of them asked if they could pet my dog. I said 'Sure'...he was playing with her until we reached the ground floor. How many degrees of separation is that from the Schleck brothers?!

    Well, the day of the race I decide to head out early to get a good spot and I had to walk to the race site. I got there at 9:00am - the race started at 11:00. There was NOBODY...I thought what is going on? Anyway, people didn't start showing up until almost 10:00. Note to self for next year.....don't get there until 10:00.

    This was the first time I have gone to this type of bike race. These guys ride sooooo fast. The race started with the team introductions....we were right across from the podium. I have some pics and video of the race I wanted to share but I can't upload anything to this site.

    So, a little before the race ended we had to leave....long drive back to Toronto. When I was walking back I noticed that part of the street was blocked off - and suddenly 3 riders go flying by. I then realized that the city had created a 'pathway' for the riders to ride back to the hotel. I tried to get some pics of them but they were to fast.

    Finally made it back to the hotel and a BMC rider came in through the lobby and up to his room. As I waiting for my car......he came back. I overheard him asking one of the hotel attendants where he could get a room key. He was told to go the Front desk - there he was standing in line, patiently waiting to get a new key. Too funny......should have taken a pic.

    Anyway, will definitely try to go back and next year and will see about going to Quebec as well. It is only another 2 hours drive from Montreal.

    Later,

    CLTF

    ReplyDelete