Tuesday 23 August 2011

Vuelta - first two days (and Vattenfall)

OK, Vattenfall first, as it was pretty small, from our point of view, but here are our Brave Boys:

(I coloured Dominic's hair in, specially for Leelu.)

Our Eurosport coverage started at 49kms to go - and yes, Lars Bak is at the front! I just never get tired of that joke.

Linus leads them up the hill, to cries of "Go, Linoooosss!"  and then he is looking back over his shoulder. LLB makes sarky remarks about Team Leopard sending their guys on Training Camps where, instead of practicing TT or picking up musettes, they practice looking back over their shoulders.  I give him a Look, which should suppress him for the time being.

However, that's an interesting thought - do they have training sessions for riders and soigneurs, to practice holding/collecting the bidons and musettes? I have often thought that the helpers ought to hold the bidons by the bottom, and not by the top, to reduce that wrist whiplash effect.  I asked Ken Sommer via Twitter, but he hasn't responded. (*sobs quietly - oh Ken, I thought we were friends!*)  I have an image of the training camp turning into something like a Pony Club outing, with cyclists circling the new soigneurs at ever-increasing speeds.....

Where were we? Oh yes, the race. Tom Stansjnider made a sudden break, (cries of "Good boy!" ) and they showed it three time! Once, in slow motion!  The director must like him.


Our commentators kept on saying how scary Greipel (left, in an old kit) looks: how mean he looks, how tough he looks, what a scary face he has: but I just don't see it, he looks like a muppet - you know, sort of soft and somewhat toothless.

Not scary at all.

Wonderful cheekbones.

Apparently Giacomo was hoping for good things, but he had to withdraw partway through the race with stomach pains, poor boy.

At the end, it was Sky who came out on top, they did a text-book lead-out and flung Eddie Boss across the line in first position.

So that was the Vattenfall classic.

Then we turned to la Vuelta, yay!  A classic start, with a Team Time Trial, and speaking as a fan of the team containing Fabian Cancellara, I am all in favour of starting with a TTT, hee hee.

My first comment has to be about the strange colours of the footage we received. Our Eurosport commentators went to great lengths to point out that they were receiving the pictures from the host broadcaster, and didn't have anything to do with what they showed, or what colour it was.

I believe "over-saturated" is the technical term. Or possibly "headache-inducing" as the blue kits were so bright it hurt to look at them, and all the fluorescent parts - Geox's bikes for one - were actually strobing. Most distressing. And then there was the camera-bike who had chosen to put a different filter on his camera, turning orange to brown. Very odd for the Rabobank riders.

So, we started off our coverage with BMC on the ramp, looking rather dull red and matte black: in fact, they looked as though they were in camouflage kit, and could barely be seen against the dull red of the start ramp. Some of the bike-holder girlies looked a bit confused by it all, or perhaps they were miffed because they had been hired to stand there in shorts and halter tops - with extremely un-flattering baseball caps - and many of the cyclists had considerably slimmer legs than they did. Excuse me while I laugh unsympathetically.

The BMC team contained the Swiss National TT champion - Martin Koehler, poor guy,  who will forever have "but only because Fabian chose not to enter this year..."  after his name

Cofidis were the same - we could hardly see them start. Things went from bad to worse for them, the commentators were saying things like "oh dear, they've lost their shape completely" and they were down to just five riders about half way through. Little did we know that worse was to come...

But it was nice having so many familiar faces from the Eneco Tour. Which reminds me that I haven't written anything about that yet, sorry! Later, later...

Leopard looked cool and comfortable, and did a cracking time. Go, guys!  I thought it was particularly kind of Fabu to let Jakob lead up the last few metres, and take the red jersey. What a great guy - he could easily have taken a big turn and arranged it so that he was the first across the line.

Vacansoleil set off, with a team containing no sprinters and no GC contenders. Why are they here, then? For the TV breaks, of course! That's all they ever do, stick a man in the break and get lots and lots of name-checks to please the sponsors. Not every team is in it for the wins, for the glory - some sponsors just want lots of TV time. Mind you, as Vacansoleil are currently sitting a the bottom of the UCI team ranking, they might be looking at relegation next year, if they aren't careful.

Radioshack come to the start ramp -oh dear, the caption on the footage calls them Radio Shark. Lots of fishy jokes... oh dear, Brajkovic drops a chain immediately after coming off the ramp,  argh! The mechanic is out of the car and running to fix it with no delay, but what should the team do? Rush on without him? Or wait for him to catch up? There is much debate amongst our commentators as to what is the right thing to do. They decide that it depends on whether the rider being delayed is your big GC contender, in which case you should wait. But if it's just a domestique ("just!") then you should storm on without them. In this case, Brajkovic was team leader, so they did they right thing by waiting for him.

Rabobank are off next: aw, no Graeme Brown on their team, boo! (*says "Graeme Brown?" in Leelu's voice*)

Andalucia next - they are wearing mostly blue with a lime green sleeve - 'ere, hang on, isn't that the Liquigas kit? Oh dear, perhaps a Liquigas soigneur was trying to be helpful by passing on some old kit to a lesser team? Anyway, they are a complete shambles. "What a terrible sight" say our commentators, "How not to do a TT" they say, "All over the road" they say. Oh dear. And they are right, they are truly terrible at the TTT. The commentators don't like their kit either.

Aha, SaxoBlank. Oops! One of them nearly took a tumble at the start-ramp! Luckily no Contador this year, thank heavens. Nice to have a break from him. Wonderful/terrible moment (depending on whether you still support them or not) at the dead turn - that's where they have to turn right back on themselves, like when they block off a road and just do a U-turn - when Nick Noyens gets a puncture, doesn't quite take the corner, bunny-hops up the kerb and plunges straight into the bushes, aaargh! Luckily nothing was broken, and although he said that he was bruised all down his right side, and his left hand was very sore, he was otherwise all right.

Ah, Omega Pharma Lotto. Many sighs from the commentators - "that's the last time we'll be seeing that kit" they say.

Lampre hit the start - oh dear, literally, one of the riders has a serious wheel malfunction, the aero disc appears to have fallen out.  "Well, that's a long ride by yourself, then" say the commentators.

Movistar are ready to go, while the commentators say " they're not counting 2011 as a good year," Especially after having lost Tondo, I should say not. But they get off the ramp ok.

HTC are ready to go - again, the last time we will see that kit.

Sky - ah, now we get interested. Oh dear, what's happening? There are only four of them! Four? That's not enough! Bradley Wiggins is at the front, and he's having to practically stop to allow the others to catch up.. finally a fifth Sky rider appears, and they steam off. The commentators have no idea about it either, as they only have the same footage that we are watching, although they do have the benefit of hearing Race Radio, so occasionally they can add some extra information. Later on, we found that they'd had an early crash which took out Kurt-Asle Alvesen, and delayed a second rider: and they were having what they called "communication problems". Normally that means with their own radios, so the one in front can't hear the DS screaming "slow down, you fool, you're losing them!"

Geox are on the start ramp now, we admire their fluorescent yellow bikes and their Farnese-style kits. They are wearing seriously strange TT hats: but at least they have proper TT bikes, and David Harmon says "They are here to win." Well, we'll see.

This leads to some discussion about the position of la Vuelta in the cycling calendar, and the fact that it's still considered to be a "lesser" race than either of the others.

Personally I think it won't achieve better status until the transfer season is delayed until the end of September. I mean, how can you true commitment when half the teams are looking at either getting or losing riders? Or worse still, closing altogether? I really can't see the point of allowing the transfer season to start before the main races have finished. Honestly.

Euskatel set off - ah, my favourite carrot, Igor Anton is team leader. Go, carrots!

Geox are then shown going round the dead turn and going splat! as they did so. Whoops.

HTC are looking the best so far, they are down to seven riders, and Tony "Dripping Cod" Martin now drops off the back. This is a bit worrying, as Leopard are leading with the best time so far: phew, they didn't make it, yay!

Finally, we get Liquigas (wearing Andalusia's next-year's kit) doing a storming ride, they are actually faster than Leopard Trek at the split time... much biting of nails, but phew! They come in just 4 seconds down, Leopard have won the TTT!

As a final laugh, the commentators say  - and I write this phonetically - "Foogle-Schlang will be pulling on that red jersey..."  Oh noes, if Leelu is listening, she will be cross!

So that's the prologue done, then: none of the teams liked or appreciated the course, they all said that the tight corners and strange obstacles were dangerous and unnecessary, and not condusive to a good TT. And I have to say that I agree, this was not a "proper" TT course at all, and it wasn't pretty to watch either.

Apparently there was carpeting laid out across the sand to the start ramp, so the riders had to wheel their bikes across - possibly this meant there wasn't any chance for last-minute adjustments? Although I have to say, as a non-competing, non-team-mechanic, I would expect them to have checked and rechecked everything beforehand..... but still, to not be able to ride up onto the ramp is very odd.

I still think that a TTT as a prologue is the best way to start a stage race - although I don't think there is any point at all in awarding the KoM and Points jerseys until the first day of proper racing. But more of that, later!

21 comments:

  1. Some nice pics of today's Stage 1 USAPCC.
    Steeplehill get's credit for them. Nice!
    http://www.steephill.tv/2011/usa-pro-cycling-challenge/photos/stage-01/

    BE

    ReplyDelete
  2. You crack me up, Coug, with the colouring in of Dominic's hair!! hahahaha And who can blame the director for replaying Tom 3 times?? I would've just put that footage on a loop!!

    I was watching a Spanish stream of the TTT and they kept pronouncing Jakob's name Foolslang. But, to be honest I was so nervous/excited/over the moon that I didn't even care. It was extremely awesome to see him in that red jersey and I hope he manages to get it back again sometime during the 3 weeks!! :D

    Leelu, Out.
    GRAEME BROOOOOWN!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hilarious post, Coug! I really enjoyed it :)

    I'm so relieved to know that I'm not the only one who has problems with the colours of the Vuelta broadcast! On Sunday Quickstep's jerseys seemed black and dad commented on that by saying that changing kits at this time of the year is useless :P

    I think that Greipel's face isn't scary at all. However I must admit that, if I were a colleague of his, I would be really frightened by his legs:
    http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/140348

    Foogle-Schlang (*horrified look appears on her face*)? Oh my! In order to avoid mistakes like that, the Italian Eurosport chronist simply calls Foogle 'my friend Jakob' :P

    I must confess that I couldn't help laughing out loud at LLB's joke about LT's training camps - so hilarious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Boulderado, Steephill always have really good photos, and I strongly recommend their site for all sorts of coverage of all sorts of races. It's not the prettiest of sites, but it has excellent info on it. Well done, Steephill!

    Hey Leelu, I think we all want to see Jakob in that Red ("brown/orange/crimson" whatever colour it comes out) jersey again.

    AAAAARGH! That is a truly scary pic, Figgy, thank you so much ("not!") for sharing Greipel's horrible gorilla legs with us. Just one thing - can you imagine what they would look like with normal leg hair? (*shreiks of horror fade into the distance as Schlecklanders for miles around run away screaming*)

    Talking of which, Linda from Luxembourg, still waiting for you to email me! The link is just there at the top of the page - go to my Profile and click on the "email" bit. You were here 10 minutes ago, and you are still using the search term "singing eisen andy"... come on, before I give out your ISP!

    Coug

    ReplyDelete
  5. Coug, why am I getting dubious credit for Greipel's legs? That was Fede!

    Here's my contribution: http://www.cyclingnews.com/tour-de-france/stage-5/photos/180969

    ReplyDelete
  6. @MissFede Greipel's thigh muscles look like they're about to attack his knees. Scawy.

    So I'm not the only one struggling with the Vuelta footage! Honestly, I've given up on watching it. I have enough headaches in my life. :P *drama*

    What's the story with Linda from Luxembourg??

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think Greipel and George shouldn't shave their legs anymore. Some (a lot of) hairs would disguise a lot and for George it would also limit his chances of bleeding. Those veins look terrible and there was a rumour about them being caused by certain products. I really have no opninion about that, but I noticed there were already some smaller signs of horrible veins on the naked butt pictures of Johnny Hoogerland.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My son confirms that "certain products" DO cause the major varicose veins. Was quite sad to hear that. Keep in mind - he passed on going pro because of what he'd have been required to do....
    BUT - that was a long time ago and I believe what we are seeing is residual not current damage.
    Awesome race today. I am really happpy for George. Levi said on the descent he was just freezing - I can only imagine the Schleck shivering that must have gone on. Levi at least has some meat on his bones. It must have been miserable for them. And wet roads on the descent.
    But - believe me - the weather could have been so very much worse! Good day for cycling in CO!
    BE

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have also heard that story about certain "products" causing knotty veins, but I have also read that long-term heavy use of the limbs can also cause knotty veins, so let's not jump to any slanderous conclusions, hey?!

    Otherwise there are certain elderly ladies of my aquaintance who are going to have to answer some questions......

    Having recently had that experience of large medical dressings on my wrist, I cannot agree with any suggestion that cyclists should stop the shaving. Shave, guys! I can barely imagine the pain from ripping out great big thick black hairs in large quantities... it was quite bad enough trying to get the dressings off of my delicate female fluff.

    Ooops, sorry Figgy, of course that was Fede's link - but yours is quite horrible, too! I was trying not to say "George Hincapie is a good example of knotty veins" as I rather like him. And now we can all look at his unlovely legs. Poor man, whatever caused it, that's not going to be comfortable in later life, is it?

    Ah, Linda from Lux. (Possibly not her real name.) She was on here quite a while ago, trying to get us all to go to another blog and diss the owner. You know, the one we don't talk about. I asked her to contact me direct as there were a few things I wanted to say to her. She never did - scaredy cat!

    Recently I noticed that her IP address had popped up again, (I don't check my stats all that often) and she's been here for the last few days, generally for a short time at around 8.30 am, then often back either at mid-day or about 2pm, then again later afternoon, 5.30-6ish. ("Lindaaaaa - I's waaaaattching yooooo!"

    Despite several invitations, she still hasn't emailed me, and I would so like to have a word.

    So, another day at la Vuelta - not very exciting so far, or it could be the terrible quality of the images.

    Hey Gnasher - no, you are not the only one struggling with it. The colours are just horrible, and the streaming footage is really not worth watching. I was trying to watch it on, er, Tuesday, was it? and I ended up with a headache all evening. I kept counting "3 seconds and JERK! 3 seconds and JERK!" as the footage was buffering.

    Even the three seconds wasn't smooth - no wonder cycling doesn't get new fans from on-line streaming. You don't appreciate the beauty of it unless you are watching quality footage: the way they seamlessly swoop to and fro, miraculously not bumping wheels. No, I'll wait for the weekend.

    In the meantime, I've worked out that if you read one of the tickers, you can see what happened, and you can make notes of the "kms to go" of anything exciting, so that when you watch the footage later, you can "predict" what's going to happen - ha! ha! Great fun.

    I'm also looking forward to a bit of Colarado footage!

    Coug

    ReplyDelete
  10. Don't shoot the messenger Coug! There was a period of time when virtually all the guys used something. Thankfully those days are behind us now - we are just seeing some of the long term result of those indulgences. Like everything in life yes?
    I had the same response to my son - that it was the riding or the circulation affected by years in the saddle (or behind a desk - your friends are fine I'm sure!) And I got that "Oh Mom, you are so naive!" look. I don't want to believe him - but he's lived it and I haven't.

    And - most importantly - we are in a new place now hopefully, with clean riders.
    BE

    ReplyDelete
  11. http://blogs.denverpost.com/captured/2011/08/25/the-game-usa-pro-cycling-challenge/4600/

    BE

    ReplyDelete
  12. Coug I just want to say that I prefer lying in bed with a man with hairy legs. I don't object to see young guys with very brown and bruised legs without hair, but if a man gets somewhat older and has some beauty defaults I just prefer some masking of it. Maybe all this is just related to a personal experience when I was 18 yeears old. There was a guy who was very nice and introduced me to a lot of people and stuff. Then 1 day he came from the shower to my room just dressed in his duster (don't know the correct English word) and his legs turned out to be totally hair-free and white. This turned me off completely and from that point on I prefer some hair on men.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm glad too I'm not the only one having issues with the live streams of the Vuelta! Watching cycling isn't much fun when you only get to see it in 2 second bursts at a time!!

    LOL Barbara. I'm guessing 'duster' either means he was wearing a towel or a dressing-gown. But now I have mental images of a man with glaringly white legs, wandering into your room naked and holding a feather-duster! :P

    Confession: I spent a good deal of time checking the legs of men passing me by on the streets of Europe to see if they were cyclists or not... especially in Denmark.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hey Leelu, I had never thought of doing that.... we assume they were wearing shorts? (*image of Leelu stopping passing gentleman with a polite "Excuse me?" (rising intonation) in her lovely voice, then gently rolling up their trouser legs to check the hairiness or otherwise, while they -and their mates/girlfriend/companions - look quizzically at her.*)

    I thought a "Duster" was a sort of overcoat: in Angel "making of" documentaries they refer to Angel's leather duster, and in Cheaper By The Dozen (the book) one of the girls cries "It's these damn dusters!" when they had been mistaken for an orphanage during a family outing.

    But I prefer the image of Barbara's fella with white leggies and a feather duster.

    Oh, I've just googled it (it's ok, it's pouring with rain outside, so no rushing off to work for me today)and according to the Urban Dictionary, it's "a woman's loose summer coat with wide sleeves and no buttons, popular in the mid-20th century"

    Barbara, do your men friends normally wear your loose summer coats around the house? (we are teasing you, of course!)

    Right, now I have to find some gainful employment for today... I suppose I could attempt a re-write on the So You'd Like To Go Out With A Schleck? post...

    Coug

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Coug! I really love your posts. :D

    Just a thought, where did you find such crappy coverage of Vuelta? I remember that my Eurosport froze like 15 km into the stage after Andy won Galibier, and I managed to find an almost TV quality live streaming with very little delay...

    My chronist also says Foolslang, or something like that. I almost spat my tea through my nose when I first heard that.

    @Fede and Figgy
    Some frightening photos, even though I had seen them before. I shall never let my baby see that, for she'll have nightmares, lol :D

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Cristin! I was watching the ITV4 Player coverage, which you would have thought would be of pretty good coverage.

    But it wasn't.... *gloomy face*

    I've tried a number of other streams, and they are generally very poor quality: also, I'm a bit wary of totally unknown streams, as I know someone who picked up a virus from a sports streaming site. I thought I'd be ok with the ITV4 one, but it really was not very good.

    But never mind, I'd rather watch it with LLB at the weekend anyway.

    Not least because sitting at the computer all afternoon leaves me with a headache!

    Well, for your general information, it's late August in the UK and I am sitting here in sweat pants and a fleece, with the central heating on.....

    Coug

    ReplyDelete
  17. COUG :D Ok this will be a very short post cause my last one was massive and I was intoxicated by chocolate last time, not so much now ;-).
    Have to say I had a good laugh reading your post- funny stuff in there and I agree with Lee, colouring in Dominic's hair-hehe.

    LLB makes a very good comment there. That DAMN 'looking back bug' *gah* the fustration I had during the TDF watching Andypants and Frankie looking back-every single time...I felt like catching a plane, flying to France and just running naked in front of them, that way at least they'll not turn back!! ;-) and I thought the 'bug' might have subsided, alas no, I saw Frankie 'looking back at US Pro Challenge' *slaps Frankie* naughty, naughty boy!

    ok, keeping it short and sweet, would love to write more *I'm the queen of rambling on* but I have to go look for your comment on the tour tracker now-so much to do, so little time :D

    Later, Aunty Coug xx
    *pops another chocolate in the mouth* *hides behind table before aunty Coug throws something at me*
    xxNim

    ReplyDelete
  18. Nim, are you allright? I'm a bit worried about your mental state. I hope it's just a chocolate-intoxiation, because if you act like this I cannot recomment you for the Italian races to help out in the back of the bus.

    I heard another rumour about OGL. It comes down to another gf. I hope someone from Lux can tell us the truth about this. This can't be fun to TinkerJil..
    There's also another thing that keeps creeping into my mind and that is that Cadel started to be a person/star after his wife/girlfriend, Chiara, became involved in his cyclinglife. To my opinion it's a much nicer way to stay in contact with your fans then acting so mysteriously and hidden. Even Martine could do a job here, because cycling is great and making you a bit more accessible to the fans of your husband, isn't making you a less woman.

    Coug and Lee, with duster I meant dressing-gown. It wasn't with feathers, but some greyish thing and I wished you were there at that moment. It would made the situation so much more comfortable...Now, every 2 years or so I come across this guy (on the street, in a store etc.) and the rememberance of those legs completely blur my vision and feel so happy that I married a man with nice black hairs on his legs.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Barbara, I cannot even begin to describe how disappointed I am that his dressing-gown did not involve feathers.

    Coug, yes, they were wearing shorts. So far I've managed to restrain myself from rolling up the trouser-legs of random men on the street to check if they shave! hahahaha

    ReplyDelete
  20. Whew! Wow! What an amazing race in CO! TdF Style! This has been an incredible week. Now what am I gonna do?
    BE

    ReplyDelete
  21. Dear Coug,

    According to the Leopard Trek calendar, Jens is en route to the Tour of Britain. Viva, Jean Vois!

    Sadly, no Frank Schleck at the ProTour races in Quebec. I'll just take the consolation prize of his younger brother:

    http://www.leopardtrek.lu/calendar/grand-prix-cycliste-de-qu%C3%A9bec

    http://www.leopardtrek.lu/calendar/grand-prix-cycliste-de-montr%C3%A9al

    *trying not to lose equilibrium, and retain a modicum of dignity*

    ReplyDelete