Thursday 15 September 2011

Tour of Britain


Yay! It's the Tour of Britain!

OK, it's what Cav calls a "shitsmall race" and it doesn't generate any UCI points, and Jean Vois is no longer in it - pause while I sob and wail - but it's still the biggest cycle race in the UK, and it's going to be the first one that I ever go to. First of many, possibly? We'll see.

It's Thursday night, LLB and I are off to Somerset tomorrow, if all goes well: and then we'll be going  to London for the weekend, so we can watch the final two sections on Sunday.

So don't expect to hear from me for a couple of days - but please be assured that I am Doing It For You, as it's my duty to give you my take on attending a cycle race. Here's hoping that it will generate what PeeDee referred to as a "typically Coug-ish post", and that you will all enjoy hearing about it.

Let's hope that something happens, that I can tell you about!

"Long drive to get there, no-one else there, stood by road for 2.5 hours in rain, peloton went past at 1,000mph whooosh whooosh swish swish (don't forget the rain) taking 0.03 seconds to pass. Went home."

One of my friends, as a parting shot, wrote "Have a great weekend, hope the sun shines for you and all those men in tight shorts." Honestly, she has no idea of my pure and spiritual interest in Andy Schleck cycling in general. Tight shorts? What tight shorts? I have no idea what she was talking about.

But just to hold all you fans of That Andy Bloke (as LLB calls him):


So have a good weekend in advance, everyone, see you next week.

Coug

PS I will be the one waving the Leopard Trek flags: very simple, just white flags with black tops, and a blue stripe.

Look for us at a particularly sharp right-hand bend, within the "loop" towards the end.

And yes, I will be wearing my Stomach of Anger tee!

7 comments:

  1. Yay, Coug is going to a race!!! I hope you'll have a lot of fun and that the English rain won't annoy you - and I also hope I'll be able to spot you in the big crowd!!! ;)
    Have fun dear!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have fun! Can't wait to read about your adventures. Please kidnap Thor and send him to me, thanks :) (Or at least take lots of pics if you can!)

    --Allie

    ReplyDelete
  3. THE shirt!!!!!

    https://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.php?fbid=1909810824799&set=o.24153227756&type=1&theater

    Barbara :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. *w* OMG, have lots of fun, Coug! I will do my best to try and see if I can spot you somewhere! ^_^
    And cannot wait to read how it went!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey, everyone, just a quick note - I've been to a cycle race! Still fizzing with excitement, and I'm off in about half an hour to London, for the final stages tomorrow, Sunday. Will report fully next week.

    Fede - hi, sweetie! Yes, Auntie Coug went to a race, it didn't rain at all, in fact the weather was nice, and yes, I waved my big flag, and wore my Stomach of Anger tee.

    The flag was well worth it, by the way: it attracted the attention of another flag-waving fan ("Hi, Derrie!") whose flag said Hup Holland, so we're guessing she supported Rabobank.

    Allie, I'm afraid Thor whizzed past at 5,000mph, both times, so I wasn't quite able to nab him for you. Maybe on Sunday.

    Barbara, oh no, not THAT shirt! Do they have one each, or do they share it? PS, doesn't that tiny little girl look "wrong" standing between two tall men?! I think potential podium girls need to be a bit taller than that, otherwise they'd never be able to zip up the jersey.

    Hey Hazel, sadly we didn't get on TV - the ITV programme was only "highlights" and they obviously didn't consider our chosen part of the route to be of any interest.

    But maybe on Sunday! I'll be waving the small flag, having decided that the big one is just too big to take on the Underground. Well, LLB gently suggested it would be too big. Personally I'd be prepared to risk it..... anyway, the small flag it is, and I will make a point of waving it to attract attention every time I see a camera-bike.

    Coug

    ReplyDelete
  6. Have a terrific time Coug!!!
    xx

    PS my verification word was 'lotion'... O_o

    ReplyDelete
  7. Someone needs to burn that shirt/s!!

    Brisbane Gal

    P.S. Hope you have a blast at the race Coug and that we get to see a screen cap of you there :)

    ReplyDelete