Wednesday 7 September 2011

Sponsors V Rich Men

Leopard Trek are in trouble, we all know that: the so-called merger is actually RadioShack - a team which was on the brink of folding - taking over Leopard Trek, creaming off the highest-scoring riders, and discarding a dozen or so perfectly good, talented, under-contract riders.


(Get yourselves a felt pen and draw lines through the ones that aren't going to make it...)

OK we're all pretty bogged off about this, and in my opinion we have a right be be unhappy.

About this time last year, we were all sitting here wondering if there was any truth in the rumours that Andy and Frankie were going to leave SaxoBank and start a new team.

Then we learned about this Rich Man (Mr Becca) who was a personal friend of the Schleck family, and was a multi-millionaire, who wanted to be a cycling patron and have his own team. He didn't even want to have his name on the jerseys, which we thought was a good thing. (BeccaTrek - hmm, not the catchiest team title. Mind you, compared to the ridiculously clunky Radio-Shack-Nissan-Trek, it might not have been so bad....)

Early this year, this Mr Becca said "we don't need a main sponsor".

But suddenly, two days ago, he announced that it wasn't possible for a cycling team to go forward without a main sponsor, so he was reducing his financial commitment by 50% (we are assuming that he has reduced his emotional/moral/friend-of-the-family commitment by about 99%) and has basically flogged the team off to the Shack.

Now, takeovers, mergers and changes of sponsor happen all the time.

Indeed, it was SaxoBank's announcement in Jan 2010 that they were withdrawing sponsorship at the end of the year, and Bjarne Riis' failure to find a replacement sponsor all the way through the summer that lead to the Schlecks leaving in the first place.

You have only to look at the history of the ProTeams to see how much sponsors change: take the lovely pink and blue Lampre team, for example:

2005 Lampre-Caffita
2006 Lampre-Fordital
2007 Lampre-Fordital
2008 Lampre
2009 Lampre-NGC
2010 Lampre-Farnese-Vini
2011 Lampre-ISD.

As you can see, although they've always been Lampre, over 7 years they've had 6 different names.

Geox, in the last 5 years, have been Saunier Duval-Prodir, Saunier Duval-Scott, Fuji-Servetto, Footon-Servetto-Fuji, and now Geox.

It happens - sponsors change.

So, why are we all so unhappy about this most recent change?

Answer, sponsors change because they have financial criteria to meet. Money is available, times change, money is no longer available. The sponsors themselves get taken over, or merged, or get bored with sponsoring cycling (Saxobank). We all know about big corporations: they make decisions in a boardroom somewhere, and although we may grumble mightily about it, there's nothing we can do, "it's business".

But a Rich Man - that should be different. He's rich, he doesn't have shareholders, he's a personal friend, he wants to have a cycle team, he doesn't even want his name all over it (which he could easily have asked for), he doesn't have a board of directors to answer to.

He said "I have lots of money, I want to be a patron of cycling, I'll pay for it." He promised 4 years of funding.

And now he's turning his back on the team: to some extent, he's throwing them to the wolves by selling them to Mr Bruyneel, who is proud of his reputation as a whip-cracker, and who has made his biggest fame by taking one solitary rider (Lance) and building an entire team around him, allowing no-one else to interfere with the goal of Getting Lance To Win The Tour.

In which, of course, he succeeded magnificently, doing it 7 times. But there wasn't much of a look-in for anyone else in the team. It was understood that they were all subordinate to Lance. Which is fine if that's what you sign up for, but our Leopard boys are not being given much choice in the matter, are they? You, you and you, you're in. You 11 over there, you're out. Charming.

We are all disgusted at the way the news was broken, of course: there is no excuse for denying everything less than a fortnight ago, and then announcing it out of the blue on Monday morning, WHILST STILL failing to tell your own riders about it.

How to demotivate your riders, Mr Becca.  Oh, of course, you don't care any more, do you?


Please feel free to throw virtual custard pies at Mr Becca.

I think that is why we are so outraged by this: we expected better from an individual. We believed his promises of a 4-year commitment, thus meaning that we didn't need sponsors.

And now he's let us all down.

Worst of all, he's done this less than a year into the new team's life.

Not even a full season! Leopard are sitting at the very top of the UCI team rankings - we are team number 1, we even beat BMC, who had the TdF winner on their roster.

OK, Gilbert has won more races that the entire Leopard Team put together, but Team Leopard are still team number 1 in points.

There has also been some criticism that Team Leopard have come 2nd rather more times than they have come 1st: but this is the team's first year, the shake-down year. Even the unlovely Mr Becca has referred to this as being the "apprentice year" (although none of us remember hearing anyone use that phrase before) so it seems quite ridiculous to go to all the trouble of setting up a team, then dropping it like a hot potato less than a full year after starting it.

Mr Becca, we know that you have your reasons, and to you they are probably compelling and believable reasons, but we feel that you have treated Team Leopard like a disposable toy. And we don't like you any more.

Update: incredibly, "they", whoever "they" might be - presumably Mr Becca and Mr Bruyneel - failed to tell Mercedes about it!!

A few minutes ago, this report appeared in Velonation, with Mercedes - who kindly supplied all the vehicles, buses, cars etc - only just finding out about it.

Needless to say, they are pretty cross: Nissan will obviously expect the team to use Nissans now, so where does that leave Mercedes with their "long term contract" ?

Spitting nails, is the answer.

And at the bottom of the report, as an afterthought, Velonation add that yesterday, Mr Becca confirmed that Brian Nygaard is out on his ear.

Two minutes later, Brian tweeted "Leaving Leopard. Thanks for all the amazing support and above all: best of luck to riders and staff wherever the road will take you."

Poor man.

18 comments:

  1. Nice to read I'm not the only one upset about all this. I too think it's disgustingly disrespectful towards all riders and staff involved the way this is all handled. When your very own employees need to find out they will likely been thrown out through the internet, or Kim Andersen only hearing the news through the press, something is very, VERY wrong with your management!

    If the reason behind this really is Becca being upset about the team not winning every race they participated in, this merger is not going to help at all. Because next year, they will have to adjust as new team-mates, staff etc. AGAIN! And with even more big names on the roster, the pressure is going to be bigger too.

    I don't need a superteam to support, I like to support a team that's family-like and friendly (except the big-talk-before-performing-attitude) and where they have fun and care about each other.

    I will be very, very upset if it turns out that Jens is out now, while guys like Popovych get to stay (what's he been doing over the past years?). Jens deserves a lot of respect and a wonderful way of saying goodbye to the sport, and not this.

    I also don't believe the rumours of Andy faking tooth problems, dental surgery is something you don't just make up. And in the GP Wallonie, he also has to race with guys who are on the list.

    Moreover, I think that the way Bruyneel worked with Lance, and later with Bertie, that worked. But Andy is no Lance (and certainly no Bertie). To me, Andy doesn't seem to be someone who wants to win over the back of his teammates. He's way too gentle for that and he really cares about them.

    Last thing (and then I'll stop ranting, lol): I feel very sorry for all riders and staff at Leopard involved. For both the people that will be kicked out, but also for the people that get to stay. Must be rough to see your colleages treated that way..

    Inge

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Inge, thanks for your comments - I think that we are all feeling pretty much the same about this fiasco.

    Your point about having to start all over again with team-building is a good one (*darn, I should have remembered to include that!*), and even though RaNT might be (on paper) a "super" team, they will still have all the first-year teething troubles. (Sorry, Andy, not meaning yours.)

    I also liked your point about Andy being a very different type of person from those with whom Bruyneel has worked in the past. Brings up a scary mental image of Bryneel rubbing his hands with glee and drooling at the thought of getting his hands on Our Andy's training schedule...

    ...and where would Frankie be, in all of this? And Fabu?

    Let alone poor Jensi, I just can't believe the way that he appears to have been left out of the deal.

    It does not bode well, as yet: I'm not quite ready to start proposing optimism, I'll need a bit more time for that.

    I haven't read anywhere what Mr Becca's actual problem is: most people are assuming that it's about money, whereas he did state, back at the beginning, that he wasn't in it for the money. Oh well, maybe things change.

    Hopefully in another week or two we might start to see positive aspects of all this, and I certainly hope to hear that all contacts have been "respected" in the sense of all staff getting damn big pay-offs...

    Coug

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am really going to struggle to support a team with Bruyneel in it. I too am disappointed at the way it seems it was handled in respect to the riders and staff.

    I think Mr Becca's (who I recollect is a billionaire but also looks like he better keep an eye on the old blood pressure) sole ambition was to get a Lux rider to bring the TDF title to Lux. As Schleckies are his mates sons and pretty good riders then I would think he is only concerned with what was best for them. Mr Bruyneel has probably been chatting in his ear about what a crap job Nygaard has done and is out of his depth and the same for Kim Anderson.

    Becca wants someone elses dollars to be coming into the team and RS are folding and it probably looked a good deal to pick up RS best riders and staff and a certain high profile ex cyclists well known organisation. Deal done! Great for Bruyneel and great for Mr Becca. Keep the most appropriate riders for Becca/Bruyneels goals and ditch the rest. Lose the staff that thought they were part of the LT family and don't worry about LT fans etc as they will automatically go where Schlecks go.

    It's business and it's life. But I (and I'm sure a lot of other fans of both teams) have value issues with it. 'excess rider' and 'excess staff' are people who deserve to be treated in my opinion a little bit better than they appear to have been.

    I can't imagine the Schlecks were not privy to such information before this was made official but I really don't think they will want to rock Mr Becca's boat (which had better be pretty sturdy and appropriately reinforced).

    It's disappointing and I wait in anticipation as to who is getting flung to the scrap heap (there are strong rumours that Nygaard is going back to PR for GreenEdge). Bjarne must be wetting his pants in laughter about all this.
    Cindy (potential non Radio Shack Nissan Trek supporter).

    ReplyDelete
  4. In addition to the poor LT riders and staff, isn't this a great way to treat one of your committed sponsors? http://www.velonation.com/News/ID/9696/Mercedes-not-impressed-by-Radioshack-Nissan-Trek-merger-with-Leopard-Trek.aspx

    Say bye-bye to all those shiny Mercedes buses and team cars! A

    (P.S. Would it be bad of me to say that I really, really hope the rumours of Nygaard going to work for GreenEdge are wrong? I sincerely hope he doesn't set a foot near their PR stuff - I couldn't stand to see them suffer through the same overhyping crap as LT had to)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Don't worry, A: Brian wasn't the PR manager for Leopard (although as a former PR person, I think that he might/should have kept an eye on it), he was the team manager.

    He was pretty good with PR for Sky in their first year - not brilliant, in the sense that they made a few mistakes, like fencing their riders off from the public instead of encouring mingling, which they do now. But he got a completely new team up off the ground, and running.

    Whoever goes to GreenEdge, I really want them to succeed - they might even become my 2nd team!

    Coug

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Coug - I feel slightly less apprehensive now about him possibly going to GreenEdge. I definitely think GreenEdge will be my 2nd team, potentially even 1st, with the way things are going (though I'll still be cheering on the Andy and Frank + Fabu and Jakob). What I really want to know now is what's happening to Jens?! This can't suddenly be his last year, it will be too traumatic and devastating for fans worldwide if it is! A

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like your calling the new team RaNT - that seems to be what they have inspired so far.

    I'm quite new to following cycling so I am trying to wrap my head around why this merger seems such a strange event. (Leaving aside the terrible way it was handled).
    I guess I am more used to franchise sports teams rather than sponsor-named teams. The franchise can be sold, but usually the name remains the same. The owners can change; the directors, manager, coaches can be hired or fired; players drafted, traded, demoted to the minors, lost to free-agency; the stadiums renovated or replaced, but it is still "my" team, because the name is still the same even though everything else has changed.
    It seems cycling teams are more a collection of individuals who work for their leader, rather than a team who "play" together as in other sports. There are different leaders for different types of events, not a common goal as in a year end championship.
    Fans seem to follow their favorite riders from team to team, rather than stick with a particular team. There seems to be some team loyalty based on nationality.
    I guess, from these observations, I have just realised that pro cycling is a whole different animal from any other sport.
    Sorry if all that seemed obvious to you all before.
    emjay

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Emjay, spot on! What an excellent critique of the difference between pro cycling and just about any other sport!

    If you would care to check this Wiki page, it shows the evolution of names and teams, it's quite interesting to see how they change:

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UCI_ProTour

    The chart does clarify that most of the teams do indeed continue, merely under a different sponsor name: the type of merger/takeover that we are enduring here is not that common, thank heavens.

    (I will be interested to see how they update the chart to show the Shack/Leopard takeover!)

    GreenEdge, I don't know why, but I just feel that they are going to be a lot of fun next year. I think that they will have a very strong Aussie mentality, which should be very entertaining, and I'm really hoping that they get sufficient rider UCI points to make Pro-Team status straight away.

    The UCI really tried to help Pegasus (if you all remember that from early in the year) so I'm sure that they will extend equal courtesy to GreenEdge - and I'm pretty sure that GreenEdge will have observed the problems/mistakes of Pegasus, and won't get caught out in the same way. Go, GreenEdge!

    I very much doubt that I will be able to support RaNT (I'd love to take credit for that acronym, but someone else came up with it on Twitter, drat!), so I'll be promoting Team Sky to being My Team, and I'll always be following Andy as an individual rider.

    Thank heavens I called the blog Eisen Andy, and not anything to do with Leopards!

    I'm still a bit miffed about spending all that time making my Leopard flags to wave at the Tour of Britain... but Kara says she's going to look out for me waving them, so I've decided to take them and wave them, as a final farewell to Leopard.

    Oh, and as for poor Jensi, what on earth is happening?

    I can't believe that Andy and Frankie would allow Mr Becca to just drop him: and although I am sure every single ProTeam would be lined up with contracts in hand, I hate the idea of him just being "allowed to go".

    Jensi hasn't even mentioned the possibility of retiring, so it would be quite horrible if he more-or-less HAD to retire, and we didn't get a whole season to say goodbye to him.

    Coug

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'll be the saddest baby panda on earth if the venerable Jensi doesn't get a proper retirement year with the Schleck brothers! No one, official that is, has mentioned his name! *angry frown a la Coug's logo*

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yeah - angry frowns all round!

    Although the thought of you as the saddest baby panda is making me well up *sniffle*

    ReplyDelete
  11. Although I don't really want Nygaard at GreenEdge, I've been told he is really good at the PR stuff, so my worries are subsiding a bit. And I don't think he can 'over-hype' anything any more than what they already do. Currently, their annoucements of new riders is similar to how LT did it last year. Although perhaps without the slight 'we are so f***ing awesome' edge to it!

    Andersen is staying with the team next year. I don't know if everyone knows that yet?

    There's no way Andy and Frank didn't know this was going on. And sadly, it just makes me think even more that he pulled out of the Canadian races because he couldn't face the rest of the guys on that squad.

    Becca's assumption that fans will just 'follow the Schlecks' is stupid! I think this whole thing is tarnishing their name even more than last year's Saxo-drama, and I for one am not supporting a team again just because they're in it. GreenEdge is going to be my new No 1 team, or maybe equal 1st with Sky. You're right, Coug, I think GE will be fun. Especially with some of the guys on it already, and yes, hopefully the team culture will be laidback and fun and demonstrate that 'all too important Australian value' of mateship. I sincerely hope GE pick up some of the LT collateral damage! Jakob is VERY angry and apparently looking at leaving the team. I hope he does! And one of the girls I follow on twitter said that Martin M just started following one of the staff from Saxobank... here's hoping he goes to Bjarne!

    Leelu

    ReplyDelete
  12. It certainly seems this merger/takeover and the whole JB and Lancelot asociation is creating some ill feeling about the whole thing. Am I being mean in saying that Becca and Co deserve it!

    Also a tiny bit peeved that OGL and Froink cannot just say something to indicate that they are sorry about the "family" breaking up and riders/staff having to go. Anything would be better than silence and withdrawing from races with convenient wisdom toot removals.

    I am definately supporting Green Edge and shoot me now girls but probably will be supporting Riis and Bertie(if cleared) next TDF just cause I don't want Radio Shack Nissan Trek professional cycling Team to do well in their first year. They need to eat a bit of humble pie in my opinion.

    I'm not sure about Brian Nygaard at Green Edge doing PR. I know he was GM at LT but he was still ultimately responsible for the hogswash that their PR team used to release. He does come across as quiet and respectful in the few interviews I have seen of him though.

    I think Jakob Fuglsang should go to another team. I also think Jens and Fab should have left as well ( I know we still don't know where Jens is going).

    I also had to laugh at someones post on one of the forums that said JB should infuse OGL with a few of Levi Lepheimers blood bags to improve his TT abilities. ( I know Levi is going to another team).
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  13. I kind of agree with you Cindy re the need for RaNT to eat humble pie, and a very, very large part of me hopes they do eat it next year. I think GE will be my 1st team next year too (scratch that and make it 'from now on'), so I really hope that they get a protour licence! There was a nice interview with the GE backer, Gerry Ryan on cyclingnews.com and in comparison with Becca, he definitely seems a lot more humble/nicer. Not to mention he and his company have a lot longer history supporting cycling (Jayco Herald Tour) so if GE don't win the TdF next year, I don't think they'll suddenly be involved in a violent takeover (sorry, 'merger').
    Glad to hear Jakob is angry and potentially looking for another team. He should leave, but I wonder though if Andy might convince him to stay? THey are (were?) good friends. And what about Jens? My wishful thinking hopes maybe his good ol' friend Stuey will lure him to GE, but I think that really is wishful thinking. If the Schlecks did know this was coming, I rather like to imagine Jens giving them a good talking to about all this :)

    A

    P.S. One of the best nicknames I've come across for the new team is 'Shrek'. Might work well, being the name of a big ugly ogre... Maybe they can wear those green Shrek ears on the Champs next year, like the Danes wear the Viking helmets?

    ReplyDelete
  14. More bad news - Mr Becca confirmed today that Jensi is out.

    http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/bruyneel-and-becca-speak-out-on-new-team

    And if you are feeling a bit mean and spiteful, you may enjoy this spoof article:

    http://cyclismas.com/2011/09/becca-confirms-additional-leopard-reorganization-plans/

    I do hope that Jensi goes to another team, it would be very sad to never see him race again. *pokes large pointed stick at Mr Becca's stomach*

    Coug

    ReplyDelete
  15. I just followed your Cyclismas link above and was looking through some Cartoons From Eric and saw one called Never Fail the Jens Father. It was a parody of The Godfather with Jens condemning Andy for failing the LT family by not winning the TDF. He "had to send him where no cyclist wants to go". The next image was a Radioshack jersey.The clip was dated July 30.
    emjay

    ReplyDelete
  16. OooOOOOooooOOOO Spooky!

    And yes, it was uploaded to yooyoob 29th July - 3 weeks ago.

    Strange that they show last year's RadioShack kit, though!

    Coug
    *gold star goes to emjay*

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi there Coug. Well I'm not even going to comment on this post, cuase you pretty much know how I feel, all my anger I unleased over this 'merge' was unleased on twitter, so I come here in peace and serenity, with a calm mind and soul.. of WTF am I saying- I HATE WHATS HAPPENING TO LT!!! Its stuipid stupid and more stuipd. It's what you get when you have money hungry-gap toothed man as the owner!! SICK SICK SICK!! Disgusted at the way the riders are being treated and thats what's pissing me off the most, forget the merge and all, cant they show at least SOME respect for the riders?!?!? I mean it's not going to break your back just to inform your riders before all this gets out in the news and then you have riders finding out about it through the media. Well we know one thing, gap-toothed-money man really doesnt care about cycling!! As long as he got money rolling in, he'll continue to roll in that money
    *sigh*, that felt good, now I'm back to being calm XD
    xx
    Nim

    ReplyDelete
  18. Well done Nim, good to get all that out of your system.

    Now, deep breath in - hold it - and gently release.

    (All together now: uuuuh - pffffffff- phoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo. Well done.)

    About the only "good" thing - apart from the excellent news that Jensi has signed a one-year contract (why only one year?) - is that if you check the New Team page, it's not quite such a complete wipe-out of the team as we first thought.

    Although it is going to be a significant wipe-out of the support team.

    I expect that the top few riders will be "allowed" to keep their specific soigneurs - don't they generally go with them when they change teams? - but the mechanics will mostly get the shove, I would have thought, even though the bikes remain the same. Likewise drivers, carers etc - probably the majority of the support team will be Shack people.

    Any bets as to how long they stay based in "Belgium and Luxembourg" ? I'm thinking that before next summer, it will prove to be more "efficient" to have them all training in the US.

    Oh well.

    Grr.

    Coug

    ReplyDelete