Thursday 8 September 2011

GreenEdge are looking good!

Well, it's a big warm Schleckland welcome then, to the new Aussie team, GreenEdge.

So far, most of us don't know a great deal about them, so - as I'm still off work with a mega stiff neck (it's ok, it's improving now, but the weather is awful so I'm quite  happy to stay indoors) - I thought I'd do a bit of digging.

After all, Our Stuey has gone there, leaping in joyful bounds like a playful little kangeroo.  Oh, all right, Leelu, I can hear you - a kangAroo, then! By the way, that kangaroo that was spotted in a domestic garden in southern England is still on the loose......

Plus, senior Schlecklanders Leelu and Nim live in Oz, along with quite a few other Schlecklanders, so we naturally have an interest in them.

Plus, they sound as though they're going to be fun! Can you imagine a team comprising 75% Aussies? Oh, those hotel rooms! Oh, those podium girls!

Anyway, back to the research:

Back in January 2011, GreenEdge announced that they had their financial backing in place, and were in discussion with the UCI regarding their application to join the ProTeam calendar. This shows that they haven't rushed into it, but have been "doing it right" from the very beginning.

The quotes are good, too from Shayne Bannan, the Team Manager, who is described as "a former high performance director at the Australian Institute of Sport (AIS)":

“The critical point is that we already have committed funding in place.”  We like to hear that, let's hope it's from a range of government and business sponsors, with not too much of the private individual... I think we've all learned that lesson. So far, their sponsors are Scott (who make bikes) and Santini, who make sports clothing. Well, that's a good start - something to ride, something to wear.

They also have funding from Jayco, Cycling Australia, Australian Institute of Sport and Canyon, so that seems like a nice spread of backing.

"This is not about a short-term bid to get a team into the Tour de France"  which is the perfect way to take the pressure off, and a subtle dig at Leopard at the same time!

“We are aiming to create a team that will stay at the top end of world cycling for a long time to come.” Well, we all like the sound of that.

And finally, "Bannan insisted he would not resort to illegally poaching riders from other teams for the new outfit."  Poaching? Sounds more as though most of them flung their contracts out of the window with great glee, and leapt on to the nearest plane!

Their rider roster is looking good - the recent news reports have them saying they are 90% full - so there might be room for a couple of spare Leopards - and they have certainly confirmed the following list, in no particular order:

Jack Bobridge (comedy name - why does that make me laugh? Oh, the Bobbit case. Sorry.)
Cameron Meyer
Travis Meyer (who has just GOT to be related to Cameron Meyer)
Michael Albisini
Matt Goss
Simon Clarke
Daniel Teklehaimanot (how's that for a name? Bet they call him Tek for short)
Sebastian Langeveld (a traditional Aussie name)
Stuey - yay! go, Stuey!
Simon Gerrans - who went from my No 1 team, Team Sky, with my kind permission... joking...
Matt Wilson
Baden Cooke (something to do with boy scouts? Let's hope not)
Pieter Weening (something to do with sausages? Again, let's hope not)
Jens Mouris
Svein Tuft - who of course we already know in Schleckland. Go, Tufty Boy!

This lot have a total of 563 UCI points - yes, troops, breathe a sigh of relief, I did it for you:  I risked my soul by spending time on the UCI site, checking out the individual rankings. Not quite as soul-sapping as reading the rulebooks, or the press releases, but still not an activity to be undertaken lightly.

563 points puts them 10th or 11th as things stand at the moment, which means that they should get a ProTour licence with ease. The bottom 4 at present have 367 points down to 297, so they are the ones who will be quivering in their boots come the end of the year.

As an aside, now that the UCI has made it all about points, I do wish that they would also publish a table of the Pro-Continental Teams by ranking of ProTeam points, as well as by their own Continental tour points. This would make it very easy to see which of them are in a position to take over a ProTeam place.

And look, GreenEdge already have a bus!

So all in all, they are pretty much ready to take their place, and to fill the gap left by the so-called merger of Leopard and the Shack.

I think - haven't actually checked this yet - that we should have the same number of teams next year.

Omega-Pharma-Lotto have split into two, but Quickstep are merging with Omega Pharma. No net gain/loss.

Leopard and the Shack are "merging", and GreenEdge are starting. Again, no net gain/loss.

So it should still be 18 teams at the highest level. Unless I've forgotten anyone, in which case do feel free to tell me.

Talking of buses, digression, I wonder if Mercedes will, in a fit of pique, take back all their team buses and cars? That would serve Leopard right, don't you think? Then Nissan would have to hand over some hastily-sign-written vehicles to get them about to the final few races of the season. Or maybe they'd just give them whatever they had hanging about in the yard, which could be amusing.

Ooh, what a mean thing for me to say. But if they do, then remember, you heard it first on here!

19 comments:

  1. LOL Coug, you make me and Nim sound old... "senior Schlecklanders" hahaha

    Also, Cam and Travis Meyer are brothers ;)

    And I think Baden Cooke and Matt Wilson are bff's

    Hmmm... this is starting to sound like another team we know. Let's hope that's where the similarities end!!

    I'm hoping to go to TDU in January, hopefully with Nim, and I think GreenEdge will get a really good reception. ESPECIALLY because Stuey is on the team AND Adelaide is his hometown! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/bruyneel-and-becca-speak-out-on-new-team

    Oh no! I don't like the sound of things at the end of this article re Jens.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yup, Anon (do add a name, go on, doesn't have to be a real one!) that's what promped more poking of Mr Becca with a sharp stick.

    We were discussing this point on Twitter just a short while ago. From both sides of the globe!

    Leelu, I thought "bff" was best female friend, or best friend forever..... is there something I should know about these two?

    Hey, you're going to TDU, fantastic! Stuey will be the hero of the day, for sure.

    Coug

    ReplyDelete
  4. bff = best friend forever. Or perhaps when referring to guys, we might use bromance ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Not that Jens wouldn't be able to basically walk onto any team he wants (well, except for RaNT apparently *shoots evil death stare out into the world hoping to obliterate Becca*), but perhaps we need to start a 'Save Jens' or 'Find Jens a New Team' campaign?

    A

    P.S. I too, hope that Mercedes take back their buses and team cars right now and leave them scrambling for whatever they can get their hands on. Such a despicable way to treat a sponsor when it's so hard to get companies to sponsor cycling teams nowadays. Becca doesn't exactly make himself out as a guy you'd want to do any sort of business with does he?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lol, Brisbane Gal, I like your evil death stare, I think we should all have a go at that.

    *focusses own evil death stare on small squeezy ball which has been designated as "Becca Substitute" in a warped voodoo way*

    Coug

    ReplyDelete
  7. HTC is out next year (sadly).

    I am looking forward too to this team. They have a great line-up. And that must be a lot of fun having them in your hotel, I guess. :)
    I actually think that Fränk, Andy and Fabian should take Jens and the others along and join Stuey on GE, (or form their own team, I don't care, as long as they get out!) I mean, if Becca and Bruyneel don't have to respect contracts, they don't have to do so as well!

    Inge

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh poo, I forgot about HTC! Thanks, Inge, Ok, so we are going to be one team down. Hopefully that makes room for Geox to get back up to Pro-Team status.

    Sadly, I don't think that our boys breaking their contracts would help, and "starting their own team" is pretty much why they left SaxoBank.

    I can't believe that Mr Becca, allegedly a businessman, can talk so calmly about breaking contracts. I bet that he has spent his life terrorising any firm that dared to try to wriggle out of any of HIS contracts!

    Coug

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like the GreenEdge project, I hope they get a World Tour license :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just heard that Jens signed for 1 yr with Bruyneels team. RaNT
    Smart move for them! I'd imagine they were fairly bombarded with "we want Jens" from fans.

    Hope it's true!
    BE

    ReplyDelete
  11. http://handlebarmustache.blogspot.com/2011/09/cycling-wiki-leaks-radio-shack-nissan.html?m=1

    Great letter from Johan to Schlecks....
    Trying to locate my sense of humor again.
    BE

    ReplyDelete
  12. I was going to say Coug, what Lee said, you make us sound old and frail!! :P We are far from that, we are fit young Aussie girls....chansing after some Leopard boys.
    And its very lovely to read this post, I like new beginnings and GE sure is that, a new team on the block!! Cant wait to see how they go, playing with the big boys ;-) But its greta to have an Aussie team-we've been waiting awhile for this!!
    And Yes, I'm hoping to go to TDU with Lee too, fingers crossed we can go!! If we do Coug, you must be sure to watch us on TV, we'll try and get into every camera shot we can and as we are so pretty, they wouldnt mind us hogging the camera ;-)
    I do love the GE bus, very retoro- will they have the names of the riders on the side *sobs*, remembering the LT bus and how it will be no more :'(
    Ah yes, as BE points out, I read also that Jens has got a 1 year deal with the RadioShack-*name too long to spell* *sigh* what they were thinking at the beginning of NOT giving him a contract- total bollocks!!
    I beleive gap toothed-money man had a brain fart and forgot all about Jens and then when the fans protested, he caved in!! Of course he had to- it's Jens we're talking about!!
    Anyways I best get back to learning about the lower GI tract and the sphincters that are located around the rectum and anus...lovely, isnt it!! ;-)
    Bye Coug *waves*
    PS. Hope the stiff neck is improving, the amount of time you have spent indoors is concerning me. You've been on twitter like 24/7 these past days, I fear your Vit.D levels are running VERY low!!
    xx
    Nim

    ReplyDelete
  13. To anyone watching the ProTour races on TV in Canada, Rogers Sportsnet (the same channel that airs Universal Sports' coverage of the Giro, and Vuelta) will be broadcasting the Quebec City race from 1:30PM - 4:30PM on Friday.

    Just as last year, CBC Radio-Canada (a French channel) will be broadcasting the race, but not the CBC. This is because the Canadian Broadcasting Company, like Leopard Trek management, is run by high-functioning Sea-Monkeys.

    No, that's not fair. Sea-Monkeys last 2 years.

    ReplyDelete
  14. BE, I sure do hope that the Jens rumour is a firm one! I've had a quick trawl through the cycling press this morning and can't see any sign of it, but the day is yet young.

    I thought this blog entry was a good one, it made some good points about the affair from a business point of view, which is refreshing as we are all huffing and puffing about the how-can-you-treat-your-riders-like-this point of view.

    http://bicycling.com/blogs/boulderreport/2011/09/06/easy-come-easy-go/

    At the moment, I'm happy to read anything that points out the flaws in Mr Becca's personality.

    But, there is some "nearly good" news: if you check the new page, the one called New Team, you can see that there hasn't actually been a wholesale clear-out of Leopards. Yet. Perhaps the rumours of "11/12 riders to get the shove" were just rumours?

    So far, five have gone, but if Jensi is signed, then only 4 - Stuey was out anyway, so that's 3, plus Brice is almost definitely out, so we're back to 4. Out of 25, that's not so bad?

    Coug
    and no, I haven't forgotten about the loss of 50% of the combined soigneur, mechanic, cook, carer, driver and support staff....

    ReplyDelete
  15. It's confirmed! We get the fabulous Jens Voigt for another year, still in service for los Schlecks - http://www.velonation.com/News/ID/9725/Jens-Voigt-extends-for-a-year-will-race-with-RadioShack-Nissan-Trek-in-2012.aspx.

    Brisbane Gal (previously known as A)

    P.S. Coug, still sending out my death stare into the universe. Waiting for cyclingnews.com report that Becca has mysteriously spontaneously combusted.... Perhaps if we all concentrate, we can take out Bruyneel too and thus save ourselves the pain of seeing our fav riders having to work with him?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sending death stare, sending death stare, sending death stare........

    Communication from Kloden - "why the distress, this is how it works"...my response - "fine for you to say, you are OK - what about all the others? - it was poorly handled!"
    BE

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Cougar,

    I have been reading your blog for quite awhile - it is really good :). For the first time in years I was able to watch the TDF everyday - and now I am totally hooked. And recently became an Andy and Frank fan. I am from Toronto, Canada and will heading to Montreal to watch the race (Grande Prix de Montreal) - it is about a 5 hour drive, could be less depending on how fast I drive.

    What is funny or not, is the only reason my friends and I were going to the race ( I will admit) was to get a chance to see Andy race. When I found out he had to pull out of the race, I was not very happy. Of course I do want him to have a good recovery. Anyway, still going to cheer the rest of the team on.

    As well, thanks to 'Susan' for your post I was looking all day to try and find out who was going to air the race. I will record while I am away.

    Also, happy to hear that Jens will still be part of the team.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Shiver me timbers, someone in the GTA that follows Eisen Andy, and it isn't me!

    Just as a heads-up, I see that Sportsnet 1 is airing Sunday's race from 4:30-7:30PM.

    Good on you for making the long haul out to Montreal. I have friends at McGill, but if I'm honest, my enthusiasm to attend the race went with Andy's wisdom tooth. That, and classes start at UofT on Monday.

    Have fun at the Grand Prix De Montreal, though!

    Oh, and rather unaccountably, I like seeing my name in singular quotation marks. It makes it seem like that could be some kind of nom de guerre, and that I might lead a secret double life.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Yay! So thrilled to hear that it's official, Jean Vois is staying for another year! There you go, the new team isn't "all" bad, they found a way to make an accommodation with Jensi.

    I don't have time to update the New Team this morning, but I'll do it on Monday.

    Brisbane Gal and BE, well done with the death stare, keep 'em going. Mr Becca will be feeling unaccountably itchy, any minute now. Then the itchiness will spread... then he won't be able to sit still... ahah, the end of his reign of terror is nigh! (Keep taking the tablets, Coug.)

    We've been watching the Quebec racing, all good stuff: yes, it's a huge pity that Andy isn't there, but by now he probably looks like half man, half chipmunk. Don't forget to write a report about your experiences for Bananas About Bikes, will you? I'm all agog to hear more about going to races.

    And I'll be off to the Tour of Britain myself on Friday, if all goes well, and over the weekend too. I've decided to put "40" on my big Leopard Flag, for Jean Vois. The 0 will be the Leopard logo, of course.

    Thanks again to 'Susan', for the TV coverage info. (*sniggers mightily at Figgy for liking seeing her name in quotes. Figgs, you are a strange and wonderful character*) (*oh look who's talking, the one who was thrilled to bits to be referred to as "the Coug" some while ago...*)

    And the Vuelta has just been more and more exciting every day! Killer rides, different jersey holders every day, Leopard win a stage, and two Sky riders on the podium, if all goes well. Fantastic!

    Enjoy the rest of the weekend, folks,

    Coug

    ReplyDelete