Saturday 13 October 2012

Bruyneel: OUT !

Wow, I'm sitting down but I'm still staggering: yes, Mr Bruyneel has been given the shove by RadioShack:


As Mr Bruyneel seems to be firmly responsible for the general unhappiness of our Leopard boys, I can't be anything other than jubilant at this news.

Typically, Mr Bruyneel manages to put a "spin" on it to make it sound as though it were his choice: "“I have decided to step back from my official team activities in order to concentrate on my defence, and in order to shield the RadioShack - Nissan - Trek cycling team from unnecessary distractions,” he wrote on his website. 

Yeah, right. Shielding the team from distractions. Nice one.

I bet there are some celebrations going on in various places in Europe today! It appears from the above report that Fabian had earlier said "it's him or me", so he must be thrilled to bits. And of course Andy and his family must be just heaving huge sighs of relief that this horrible season is now over, Mr B's rule is now over, and next year they can all get back on track and just get on with the cycling. Suddenly, having another two years on the contract does not seem like such a ball and chain, after all.

I don't know if they will be celebrating so much at Frankie's place: I imagine they are still worried to bits about Frankie's adverse finding, but at least they now know that once it is over, Frankie will know (are you paying attention, Alice?)  that he will be returning to a much better environment.

Right, now we can start speculating about the new kit!

5 comments:

  1. I swear I heard a choir in the background singing 'Hallelujah' when I saw that news headline! It's been so sad reading all the bad cycling news lately, but this was definitely one headline that made me cheer, just a little bit. I hope our Leopards have a fantastic year next year!

    Bris Gal

    P.S. Coug - I completely forgot that a new season usually means a new kit! Ah, such fun awaits us (hopefully).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did you see that a L'Equipe has reported that Frank was poisoned to keep him from leaving the team?
    http://www.wort.lu/en/view/french-newspaper-raises-doping-allegations-against-bruyneel-50780057e4b0069dd6579285

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Amanda, thank you so much for that link, that is an absolutely staggering suggestion.

    In case anyone can't follow the link, L'Equipe are suggesting (with no supporting evidence and no indication of their source) that Bruyneel deliberately gave Frankie the wretched Xipamade, "believing that no other team would take the cyclist on if he was suspended from the sport".

    As usual, Mr Bruyneel has missed the point (assuming, as with Lance and Jimmy Savile, that the allegations are true) that Frankie would never leave without Andy. And both of them have said, publicly, that they would honour their contracts. Fabian was the one who said he wanted to leave, and tried to negotiate the buy-out of his contract - only to be given a huge, ridiculous price. So he chose to stay. The Schlecks have not even hinted that they are planning to go.

    But wow, what a thing to say in a major newspaper.

    Maybe they are hoping that Mr Bruyneel will be too busy with the Armstrong/Shack-Sack issues to read it?

    My guess is that his lawyers are already printing off the libel papers!

    Coug

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have to admit I had a huge, huge smile on my face when I heard the news of Bruyneel being fired on the radio. If I weren't driving, I would have made a little dance, haha.

    Bruyneel's attitude and Lance's attitude in all this is what probably bothers me most. Lance is acting as if he doesn't care and Johan is acting like he's a victim of the allegations. Instead, the least they could/should do is making an apology.

    I still have to read all the news on the Lance-file (what a week to be without internet access..) but with what I know thus far, I won't be surprised if Bruyneel actually did intoxicate Frankie. It does make more sense now that his hearing was postponed last week.

    Inge

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi ladies,

    I was doing a happy dance as I followed this story unfold, but am now questioning whether he has actually left the team or whether he is still lurking in the background. I'm truly hopeful that he is gone for good and that the team can have a fresh start, but am aware that there are a few hurdles with the UCI licensing commission that they may have to get through first. Fingers crossed. Kat

    ReplyDelete