Tuesday 10 January 2012

Giro? Not a chance...

There's been a lot of speculation (no, not Schpleculation, sorry - well, maybe later...) that Andy and Frankie might forego the Tour this year in favour of the Giro.

Why? Well, in a nutshell, the Tour parcours doesn't really suit them: not enough mountains, too much time trialling.

(NB parcours = course: route + obstacles + road surface + activities along the way)

And of course a  lot of people, who presumably have nothing better to do with their time, have been saying that Andy should try to win stuff, instead of concentrating on the Tour: that he should not use the earlier races as training, but should aim to get a few solid wins on his palmares, instead of "merely" coming second in the Tour for the last three years running.

At this point, being a staunch supporter of OGL, I will of course curl my lip, make the "Pfff!" noise and wave my hands about in a Gallic fashion. I'm pretty impressed with three podium finishes, personally, although of course I'd like to see Our Andy up there on the top step. And I would repeat that it's very easy to sit in a comfy chair and criticise other people, especially if you have (if "one" has)  never actually been a pro cyclist, or a DS for that matter.

Bjarne Riis has been making rude remarks about Andy, he gave an interview to the Danish media with the headline: “Andy Schleck lacks the will to win the Tour de France” . Oh Bjarne, how grown up of you ("not"). Not only did he fling various insults at Andy, but he sang the praises of Contador in a sky-high, "I have been sniffing glue" sort of way. Well, frankly, that's pretty much what you would expect from someone who had Andy, then lost him:  and whose entire team's points (nearly) came from just one rider, Contador, who is still riding under a cloud of suspicion. Not a nice situation for poor Mr Riis. Not to mention his sponsor problems.

Andy responded in a mature, sensible way, with thanks to Elle for the link to this VeloNews article - as she said in her comment, "Well ladies - I think our boy is all grown up...".  As Andy says, "It's time for me to win the Tour".

In the article, Andy makes the point that although Bjarne paid him, it was Alain Gallopin or Kim Andersen who were in the car on the race days, which is a clear "Nyaar nyaaar nyaar" to Bjarne, in a very grown-up way. He also comments that he will be training harder. I don't think we can ask for any more than that. (Apart from more photos, possibly...)


But to get back to the original point, Andy may or may not be doing the Tour - if you read that article carefully, he doesn't actually say that he and Frankie will be there this year. However, he almost definitely won't be doing the Giro.

Why? Tour of California, that's why. The dates clash, and if you remember last year, the pair of them went to the ToC even though it's a non-UCI points race. And the reason for that? Well, that would be sponsor pressure. Trek - US company -  were a major sponsor of Leopard, and oh look, the biggest stars of the team went to the ToC. This year, both Trek and the Shack are sponsoring the team, both are US companies, and both are going to want their major stars to do the US race.

I would have thought that Andy, Frankie and Chris Horner would be definites for the ToC, leaving Kloden and Jakob to head up the Giro team.

So it seems likely that the Schlecks will still be participating in the Tour this year ("Yay!") and we will have the chance to cheer them on again: and earlier in the year, we will all be dropping in on Boulderado to stay for the Tour of California, in the hopes that they will go through Boulder again, and that she will be able to do some top quality Schleck-stalking on our behalf.




Now for a slight digression: could it be an omen?

Today, my Leopard flags fell off the wall.

They've been up there, in my hall, (right, sorry about the quality, no flash on my camera-phone) since the Tour of Britain. But today they fell down.

I put them back up - and they fell down again. Are they trying to tell me something?

(And yes, I have bookcases on the half-landing of my stairs, I have books everywhere, they are taking over the house...)
Perhaps they are prompting me to update them with a red stripe and possibly some colouring-in of the logo.

Perhaps tomorrow I'll go to my haberdashery shop and see what they have in the way of red ribbons...

12 comments:

  1. Coug said "we will all be dropping in on Boulderado to stay for the Tour of California, in the hopes that they will go through Boulder again, and that she will be able to do some top quality Schleck-stalking on our behalf."

    Whoops! California is a few thousand miles away from me (although my son generally goes out to Cali for at least a few stages of Tour of California). I, however - am in Colorado - where we have the Tour of Colorado or USProChallengeColorado...and this takes place in August (week of my BDay) - so it's mid/late August - and no conflict with TdF or ToC. And yes, I will be in full stalking mode for that!!!

    It's so easy to get them confused.

    BE

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also...I would eat my hat if Frandy did not do the TdF this year! I had read that Andy was considering the Giro as well.
    Wonder how it will all pan out? I'd also heard that Jakob will be captain for the Giro.
    Giro ends at the end of May. TdF doesn't start until the end of June. USPCC starts towards the end of August. Plenty of room between races.

    BE

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, Giro and Tour of California conflict - I see.
    BE

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just read that Frank might do the Giro. He did not do the Tour of California last year - Andy was there alone. Jakob's contract will end after this year - so he is really motivated to shine in the Giro...so personally - I hope Frank does do the ToCalifornia. That would give Jakob a better shot.
    BE

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aaaack! *tears hair out*

    Tour of California: non-UCI, clashes with Giro, US sponsors will insist on attendance, Andy will most likely be there. Hot. (Apart from the snow.) Not where Elle lives.

    Tour of Colorado: up North, Boulder, where Elle lives, scenery to swoon at, not the same as Tour of California, therefore does not clash with Giro.

    Sorry, Boulderado! *facepalms forehead*

    Coug the Confused
    PS I can hear Pahola faintly in the background, laughing at my terrible geography...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually - east of california....almost middle of the country.

      Delete
  6. *teasing* Okay, with your Tour of Britain post in mind, I've added to my "bucket list" go to the Tour of Britain to look like an idiot and randomly call out "Hey Coug!" to see who turns around AND now I can add the Tour of Colorado to call out "Hey Elle!".

    Don't worry ladies, with my personality that is sooo not going to happen! But if you ever travel to Vancouver BC for no reason connected with RSNT whatsoever and yell out "Hey Kat!", I'm sure that will work! ;)
    Kat

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh and Coug ... LOVE the bookcases on the half-landing; you're giving me ideas! :) Looking forward to hearing what creative ideas you come up with to modify your LT gear because yes, it was a sign! ;)

    BE - I'm sitting at my computer smiling because your comments are often exactly what I'm thinking. I need to make sure that I check for a comment from you before I comment myself! :)

    Kat

    ReplyDelete
  8. I actually thought Andy sounded slightly bitter in that article when he was talking about Bjarne. And yes, I know you're all probably thinking 'well Leelu's gone back to the "dark-side" anyway now and loves Bjarne so of course she would think that,' but really, I do believe Andy wouldn't be where he is today without Bjarne's hand in his development. Bjarne owns the team and obviously has other responsibilities besides filling a DS role as well. I'm sure he was in the car at some races for Andy, but really can Andy expect he would be in that car every single time for every race if it was Kim Anderson (presumably) in charge of Andy's race program? I'm not necessarily saying that Bjarne was right in saying what he did about Andy, but if we're calling Bjarne's comments childish, then I don't think Andy's comments can exactly be referred to as 'not childish' either.

    I've read also that Frank may possibly do the Giro. I really hope he doesn't because I can imagine then the whole 'joint captain' bullsh... nonsense will come back into play and Jakob's chances will be diminished.

    Coug, I've figured the flag thing out for you! It's a long shot, but bear with me. What do you have in front of those flags? bookcases. where do you put your books after you've *read* them? the bookcases. what colour are your flags now missing? RED. I think they keep falling towards the bookcases because you need to add the red to them! ...ok I need to go take my medication now :P

    also, sorry for my own slight bitterness in this comment! lol

    ReplyDelete
  9. Bjarne and Andy are human. How could there not be some level of bitterness? Bjarne feels he "discovered" Andy. Andy doesn't agree and considers the person yelling in his ear to be the driving force - not all that it takes to get that person to be yelling in your ear....youth. But for his psyche...he has to say what he's saying.

    I agree that the flags fell for a reason. Coug - the kit is public, we have all the team members and your flags are not reflecting that change. We've not wanted to accept any of this - but we must. Once you put a red stripe on them, I bet they'll stay put. I actually think they have made every effort to retain the Leopard Trek "energy" so people like us will continue to support them. They know...and I bet they heard Barbara's black socks and shoes commentary. They know that as a team they still have to win our hearts. Many of the riders already have our hearts - and they know that too. I think they are really trying and have to give them props for that. They are publishing news and pic's daily. They are like a person holding out a treat for stray dogs - will we come to them or not?
    Personally, I need to see them function as a team before I do any final judgments.
    Did anyone else see Jens comment from the "gala" when he was asked if he thought he could control the Smurfs? He asked if they meant his kids or the riders! Gotta love that man!
    BE

    ReplyDelete
  10. *red in the face* I've only ever failed one exam in my life, I did mention that, didn't I? And that was my Geography O level... mind you, I didn't take the classes, so it wasn't really surprising that I failed the exam.

    LLB even bought me a School's Atlas in the hope of improving me: when I watched X-files, I would stop, take out the Atlas, and find the place that they were going to, in an effort to improve. Clearly, it didn't work. Sorry!

    Yes, Leelu, I quite agree, Andy did sound a teeny bit bitter in that interview, as did Bjarne in his: and frankly, they both have the "right" to be a little bitter about each other. We all know the heartache of breaking up with people, or falling out with friends, and their relationship must have been a little of both, as well as being Boss/Mentor/Coach etc. It can't have been easy.

    Love your tortured logic on the "read" bookcases! You are probably right. I have some time off this afternoon, I will go to the fabric shop and see what I can get.

    Kat, my plan is that when those two bookcases are full, I'll get two more and stack them on top! Luckily that half-landing is quite wide, so there's still room to get past. Of course, it's not easy carrying the hoover up the stairs anymore, so I've just stopped hoovering the top floor. *sneezes massively* OK, that was a joke, honest!

    When does TdU start? Must be soon....

    Coug

    ReplyDelete
  11. TdU starts Sunday the 15th.

    No judgments from me about geography...I'm old enough that most of what I learned about Europe is all changed now anyway. Would never expect you to be on top of USA geography. Our President apparently doesn't even know how many states there are! You are totally forgiven.

    BE

    ReplyDelete