Sunday 26 June 2011

Tour de Suisse Finals: and the Mollema Incident

OK, at last we have finished the TdS footage, and it was very interesting to watch Stage 8, the last road stage, with the hindsight of having read about the Mollema Incident.

Mr Mollema is currently crying about the Leopard boys steaming away from him when he unfortunately punctured, just 15kms from the end. However, his own DS Franz Maassen, said "Bauke's already small chances of victory are now completely gone." Well, that doesn't exactly make it sound as though they really thought he could make it to the podium, does it?

Then in Velonation, we get "Mollema Pledges Revenge!" Well, we can't really argue with that, as OGL did say last year that he would take his revenge, so revenge is perfectly acceptable. "We won't forget this when it comes to the Tour de France," Mollema vowed, comparing his puncture with the major crash in the TdF last year when "the Leopard guys [then riding for Saxo Bank] neutralised the race when some of their guys had crashed".  "Some of their guys" yes, including a large number of other riders, too. Not exactly a comparable incident, actually.


But leaving that aside, here is my take on the Stage.

Firstly, all was sweetness and light as they were pedalling along:  there was time to eat, drink and be merry.

Here is OGL having another troublesome toffee moment.

Frankie, Jensi, and another rider were all laughing at him, while Fabian was pedalling away very seriously just in front.

I often wonder what goes through their minds during flat, non-eventful sections, when they aren't actually talking to one another, but are apparently day-dreaming. I'm sure they are NOT day-dreaming, except possibly about making it onto the podium: I expect they are reviewing tactics, trying to remember the route, worrying about injuries, trying to ignore the nagging pain in their left shin, or trying to decide whether it's worth the bother of trying to get leg-warmers off over their shoes.

I saw that done, by the way, recently, and it was quite impressive. If you've ever tried to remove a pair of tights, ladies, you'll appreciate the complexities of the movement, and to do it on a bike... well! It seems the accepted practice is to get a team-mate to steady you, while you roll one leg down, unclip your foot, peel the legging off over the shoe, wobble crazily at the last moment when it gets stuck over the heel, then re-clip the foot, and repeat with the other side.  Not to be attempted while descending.

 Talking of removing clothing, I have noticed that many of the teams allow their riders to peel off unwanted items as they warm up, and fling them away into the crowd.

(Cries of "Ooh, mummy, look! A sweaty leg-warmer!" from a small child in the crowd. "Very nice dear," says the proud Mamma, trying not to wrinkle up her nose, "now go and see if you can find the other one...")

But Euskaltel never do that - they always stuff them up their jerseys, forming strange aero-dynamic humps. Hey, maybe they should try this for TTs? They could remove the need for the silly helmets by making a hump further back. Hmmm. OK, maybe not.

Presumably "some teams" have bigger budgets and can afford to throw their stuff out, and the rest of the teams with perhaps smaller budgets have to be a little more careful.

Talking of budgets, we spotted the Europcar Team Bus along the way (left).

We were quite impressed with the number of team buses that Europcar have, actually: they were popping up all over the place!

(Ok, ok, I know that these are not the posh team buses but are hire vans, I was trying to be funny..)

Now, all this time, we'd been looking out for the Mollema Incident, and were beginning to think that we'd missed it, when we heard Carlton Kirby , one of the two Eurosport commentators, say that they had just noticed that Mollema was not in the lead group, and they were speculating as to what had happened to him. He said that it "Never came across on Race Radio that he'd had a mechanical or anything." and there hadn't been any footage of him.

So, Leopard  Trek weren't told that he'd had a flat.

Don't forget that at this point, Garmin Cervelo were at the front, pulling hard.

Leopard Trek have Frankie in the GC, and they knew that the peloton had split, so it would make sense for them to pull along with Garmin simply in order to get Frankie a little more time against much of the rest of the field. We all know that TT is not Frankie's strongest point...

Shortly afterwards, the other commentator, Brian Smithy, clearly said "We don't know why Mollema didn't make it over the top with the first group" and these are the commentators, they get all the race radio, the car radios, etc. so they would be expected to know pretty much all that was going on. There was no footage of a puncture either: generally whenever anything happens, you get a quick "catch up" repeat, but we didn't ever see anything of it.

It is entirely possible that one of the L-T cars saw the puncture and radioed to the boys "Go! Go! Go!" without telling them why.

But it's pretty clear that the front group would not have known that Mollema had punctured.

The footage for Stage 9, the TT, started with Carlton Kirby saying "overnight we heard Mollema punctured at 15kms, lots of fingers pointed overnight at unsportsmanlike behaviour".

This, coupled with the somewhat odd Leopard-Trek report for the race, makes me think that it was indeed someone in a car who knew, and told the team to go, and didn't want to admit that he'd known about the puncture. But it is pretty mean of the L-T website to imply that Mollema just wasn't strong enough to make it over the top with the first group, and I can understand why the Rabobank fans were frothing at the mouth.

After all, an apology costs nothing: and (Contador) doesn't even have to be sincere to be accepted. It would not have hurt Leopard Trek to say on their website that their attack unfortunately coincided with Mollema's puncture, "about which they were not informed" or something similar, and some sort of apology to him.

On a personal level, I find that the sportsmanship of pro-cycling is one of the main attractions, and I would not like to see a cut-throat, win-at-all-costs mentality arising.

Right! Back to the TT. Frankie had nothing down his front this time. Carlton Kirby made a comment about the lack of chest humps: and a little later on, when a viewer Tweeted a question about it, he said that camelbacks had been "quickly banned".  I have to say, I've looked, and I can't find any mention of it in the UCI news or rules.

Instead, I have some comments about water bottles -  I know, I get distracted by the strangest things.

I remember learning last year about aero water bottles, and the fact that a TT bike without the water bottle in the carrier is less aerodynamic than with it in place.

The question arose during one of those short TTs, when it was asked why they carried bottles for such a short race. The answer was as above, with the comment that they didn't necessarily have any water in the bottles, so they weren't carrying any extra weight, but they needed the bottle to maintain aero flow.

So during this race, which was long enough for water to be required, I was particularly intrigued by the different bottle positions.

This is Rabobank, and this rider has gone for the "between the wrists" position.

It's actually quite a good one, as it's really easy to pick it up and swig from it, as I saw one of the guys doing.

It also fills in the gap between the wrists, when seen from the front, so that might possibly add to the aero effect, I'm not sure.

And when empty, it can easily be thrown out.

This one, however, (left)  is not quite so simple: how on earth do you reach round and get that without disturbing your aero position?

I spotted only one of these rear carriers, but at least two of the wrist-height ones, so I am guessing that riders are allowed to pick what suits them.

And what do our favourite team do? Well, I didn't look at all their bikes (sorry!) but  I did notice that Jakob had a funny grey wodgy thing instead of the usual bidon, can you see it?

The UCI rules state that integrated bottles are banned, those are the ones where they are moulded into the frame, and apparently Cervelo Test Team were caught out last year, having spent a lot of money designing the moulds for them.

Leopard have got round it by making a squashed, frame-filling thing which is not integral.

Ugly, isn't it? You would have thought that they would have made it in team colours: even if it were a prototype, they could have put some blue tape round it to make a stripe!

Final observation: why do the holders of the jerseys have to wear plain black shorts?


Most unflattering, and most annoying for the sponsors, wasting that big, top-money, most-sought-after across-the-bottom position.

Finally finally, (honest) there was some discussion about riders wearing skin suits for normal road races. The commentators said that it had been done in the past, and was a growing trend. Really? Can't say I'd noticed anyone riding a road race in a skin suit. How would you have a natural break? Brian Smith said that "if you could persuade a manufacturer to put three pockets on the back" it might catch on. And a flap in the front, perhaps! (No, don't go there.) (Barbara, this means you...) (Thank heavens we don't have Original Kara! And I never thought I'd say that...)

25 comments:

  1. Front flap!!! hahahaha Interesting addition, but perhaps maybe not be very aerodynamic...

    Skinsuits in normal races would be "interesting" you can't hide much in those suits! I would probably pay more attention to the race if they did.

    I do know most elite MTB races they wear skinsuits all the time, but then again they aren't out there for 5-6 hours.

    ReplyDelete
  2. (Hi Bethan! *waves*)

    Careful, you are about to be sent to the naughty corner!

    Apparently skinsuits don't have as much venting or breathable panels as normal bibshorts and jerseys do, so they wouldn't be comfy for long rides....

    Coug

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Coug? Er, how do you I'm here? Is there a CCTV camera in my house?!

    *Twilight Zone music plays*

    ReplyDelete
  4. YES! A-ha-ha neighing with maniacal overtones.

    Actually, I was just checking my Statcounter pages, while having this blog open as I was doing a bit more work on a post about transfers.

    Thought I'd spook you a bit! (Hi to the person from Salisbury, as well. Do say Hello.)

    Coug The All Seeing

    ReplyDelete
  5. PS even more spooky, I'm also up on Twitter at the mo (I am so multi-tasking today) and Eva has just said "YES we zitten weer met webcams in de koers :D" which clearly has something to do with webcams and CCTV in your house....

    Coug

    ReplyDelete
  6. Haha! This is why I just read and don't post now!

    I still enjoy your blog Coug.

    'original kara'

    ReplyDelete
  7. *gets back from checking the house for surveillance equipment*

    You gave me quite a fright there!

    But hey, talking in delayed real time is kind of fun! *Wonders if this is what twitter is like*

    Well my apologies for the dodgy pajamas if you can see me :P

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kara! (*wide open arms, big hug*) We missed you!

    Can you believe that current Schlecklanders (Figgy, this means you) are reading in their dodgy pyjamas? What are things coming to....

    Figgy, you have pug hairs all over your pjs, how disgraceful. Barbara would be shamed to be your twin! (Only joking)

    Twitter is faster than this, but a great deal more ill-mannered, as you can only make short statements, abbreviations are obviously rife - and you knooooow how much I hate that - and you quickly end up carrying on multiple conversations at once, which actually feels quite disrespecful. (*thinks: blimey, I am odd, aren't I?)

    Perhaps, Figgy my dear, you should try it? (*crooks finger invitingly,*) If you don't, perhaps I'll make another account in your name and Say Things, pretending to be you, mwaaaah haaa haaaaa!

    Coug

    ReplyDelete
  9. I used to think that I was pretty paranoid about shielding my identity etc: there's someone reading us now who has spoofed themselves through an anonymous proxy!

    Really not necessary.....

    Coug

    ReplyDelete
  10. Coug, tell LLB that I take exception to being part of an en masse arrest, on derrière-grabbing related charges! I would totally be sent to an asylum for trying to pluck Andy's hair, and placing a sample in a petri dish!

    I like my dodgy pajamas, they're very christmassy.
    I didn't even know I had Schlecklander status. I'm rather chuffed to contribute to this decline in quality of citizenry though :p

    What's the word / character limit on twitter again? 10 words, and 2 punctuation marks or summat? *said in a Hagrid / Cracker voice*

    Oooh, I'd rather like to see someone else's take on what I'm like :P

    ReplyDelete
  11. Don't tempt me! I'm "bad" enough already....

    And what do you mean, you didn't think you were a Schlecklander? (*Harumphs indignantly*) You were upgraded to Full Membership ages ago!

    If nothing else, your superb work on the Schlick-Schleck clock would have qualified you....

    Coug
    In Charge of Decline in Citizentry Quality

    ReplyDelete
  12. I thought Schlecklanders were the old guard, people who were reading this blog before it was Eisen Andy, not stragglers like me :)

    *thinks about what a Schlecklander passport might look like*

    Okay, I'm off to run some errands, but this delayed real time conversation has been fun!

    ReplyDelete
  13. OK, now wait a minute! What have you done with the Real Coug?! I know that I'm not around much anymore but I thought we were clear that black shorts are always preferable. Or do I misremember from the old days? Did we just take a collective stand against white shorts? No, I don't think so. I think we agreed black was the thing.

    If they don't have a rule that the special jersey wearers have to wear black shorts, we will end up with the hideous combinations that appear sometimes - imagine the green jersey worn with Lampre shorts, for instance. My Eyes!!!

    PeeDee

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hey PeeDee! No, no, it's definitely me, sorry, I didn't express myself clearly enough: I was surprised that they seem to be forcing the jersey winners to wear "plain" black shorts with no sponsor or team names on them.

    Black shorts in general are still very much preferable! (Or at least, a black "front" panel...)

    Yes, there are some hideous combinations of jerseys and team shorts, the Rabobank shorts with a pale green jersey comes to mind: Lampre shorts with any jersey - ugh! - and NetApp (blue shorts) with the green jersey were particularly tasteless. BMC with a pink jersey? A-ha-ha neighing!

    White shorts! EEEoww!

    So ok, we'll say that the Schlecklanders approve of the idea of having jersey holders wear plain black shorts with a go-faster white stripe, but we'd like them to have their team name across their bottoms, please.

    Oh, and Figgy, when I say "Schlecklanders" I mean all followers, back in the day, or following this blog. All of us! There are no grades of membership! (*throws arms out to embrace all Schlecklanders past and present*)

    And future, she said optimistically. Still hoping to get to 50 followers, but as Blogger seems to have eaten my "followers" box it's a bit hard to tell. It's climbing towards the 30 mark now, but without the box showing them, it's a bit much to expect new ones to join!

    Coug

    ReplyDelete
  15. I believe Chris Horner wore a skin suit during AToC (and he won).

    I think black needs to be more than just the front of the shorts. Review the images and video of Andy climbing in white at the Tdf 2010 if you think white is ok for the backside. It's not pretty. And when they just cover the 'important' parts with black, it kind of looks like superhero underwear on the outside. But maybe that's a good thing...

    ReplyDelete
  16. Dear Coug,

    I've spent the last hour on Twitter, trying to appreciate its epigrammatic format. I am hating it. Also, there's another Susan Rivera on there, mugging for the camera on her profile--it isn't me, if I had a schnoz like that, I would have it exorcised. Yes, I'm being mean--what can I say, word limits fill my stomach with anger.

    I believe I am "following" you, as per twitter parlance. Admittedly, it has been fun kvetching, and thinking up horrible, gruesome things that I prefer to twitter. :P

    On the subject of bike shorts: My mum thought that the Astana kit from last year's Tour was ugly, because to paraphrase her, "You can see their balls. It's like there's a codpiece in there."

    Sigh. Am I really the only one who doesn't look down there?

    ReplyDelete
  17. I was thinking about black shorts with a zipper.
    (Those boys shave, don't they?)

    Coug, please don't send me to the naughty corner. I didn't use any bad words and there's a lot of work waiting for me the next coming days.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Emily, you have a point, I must admit that there are some whitish-with-black-front-panel shorts out there that do fulfill the modesty requirement, ie they have the black front section, but they do look as though they were wearing nappies. Or, as you say, superhero knickers-on-the-outside. Saxo last year being a very good example....

    But without a sponsor name or logo, those TdS shorts are just so plaaaaaiiin! (*whiney voice like a 14-year-old*)

    Figgy, give it a chance, I hated it at first, it gets to be fun when one or more of your "tweeps" or twitter-peeps are online, then you can have real-time conversation.

    I find it strangely thrilling to chat with Leelu when I know she is round the other side of the world! OK she's in London at the moment, but you know what I mean.

    Coug

    ReplyDelete
  19. "(Those boys shave, don't they?)"
    Barbara I think you are trying to push the limits of what you can get away with commenting without getting sent to the naughty corner. Have you seen "Something About Mary"? We don't want them to have to worry about zipping their "franks and beans" while racing.

    Figgy you might be the only one not looking, my husband comments more on that than anything. And how can you possibly see past the Astana codpieces? (looking forward to more of your twitter/anit-twitter post)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Emily, I'm still scandalised by things like the inadvertent mooning by Baden Cooke at the Amgen. I ascribe this squeamishness, in part, to the nuns who ran the first elementary school I attended in Canada--where they really did try to mortify the silliness out of our your soul. Our French teacher was a cassock-wearing termagant, who hit students with a ruler when they couldn't enunciate properly.

    Let's put it this way, when she was involved in a car accident that precipitated her early retirement, even the other staff rejoiced.

    I think I've written more for this comment, than what I've been permitted to write on Twitter in the last 48 hours.

    ReplyDelete
  21. "permitted to write", oh, poor Figgy! All repressed and chained by the conventions of Twitter...

    We'll have to find a timezone when we are both around, then we can make un-abbreviated comments to each other!

    Regarding the revealed bottom, yes it is somehow shocking to see naked buttocks being pedalled down the road in front of crowds of people. I have known for some years that they don't wear undies, but it still takes me aback every time I see it.

    I thought a termagant was a sort of cormorant?

    Coug

    ReplyDelete
  22. Aww Coug, I don't so much feel repressed, as like a pet bat on a harness, and leash! I definitely want to fly about, but keep getting reined in.

    Oh, and while the following isn't the RTL team presentation from earlier today, here's video that was posted over on Fede's blog by A from Oz:

    http://www.dr.dk/Sporten/Dokumentar/AndySchleck/SchleckBonus/181201.htm

    Andy cooks, and he has one of those roomba, robotic vacuum cleaners! How like him to have a toy vacuum. So unlike Stefan Denifl, who recently wrote that he got an enormous sense of satisfaction from tidying up his apartment.

    Listen for: "But then you can come to Mondorf, and you can eat with me". *imagines a stampede of girls, beating each other senseless with loaves of bread, as they vie for who's to ring the doorbell first*

    ReplyDelete
  23. Figgy, thank you so much for posting that link, it's lovely! What a splendid, light, airy, spacious apartment he has. Quite different from the one I was watching on RTL yesterday evening (I was looking for a replay of the TdF presentation which I missed, and which featured Jakob with a shaven head and Andy shaving in his undies, apparently) (er, Andy shaving 'while wearing his undies' that should be. Not shaving within his undies. *thinks: "stop now, Coug, stop now!"*)

    These little videos are always so funny and staged, aren't they? No camera crew would find my kitchen that clean if they turned up unexpectedly. Or, maybe they would if I had a cleaner, and was away from the flat about 80% of the time.

    Love the way Andy casually mentions he did, what was it, "one hundred, fifty k today" and Karsten looks affronted and says "today?" in a querying manner. So, there is one-upmanship among friends, too!

    And did you see how he is taunting me with the Leopard-Trek cabin bag left lying casually on the floor: darn, I want one of those!

    Did I miss-hear it, or was he cooking pasta having just eaten pizza? Or do we think he meant to say pasta? We also presume that he puts on the spaghetti, then nips into the shower, as he managed a superman-like change of clothing from one section to another.

    Ah, so "500" is the amount of pasta for one Schleck, is it. File that info away, ladies, in case he ever drops in for a quick nose-bag.

    Just to show that I have watched it properly, I will also comment that he has a pot plant in the corner, and what looks like a bonsai plant on the desk. And what a strange, out-of-character piece of furniture that is, the one the robot hoover goes round: not quite as contemporary as the rest of the pad, eh?

    Coug

    ReplyDelete
  24. Yes, that is an anomalous piece of furniture, in an otherwise minimalistic apartment. Could Andy be into Antiquing, or eclecticism? Somehow, I can see him attending a taping of the Antiques Roadshow ...with his girlfriend :P

    ReplyDelete