Monday 6 June 2011

Contador advised not to enter Tour de France

 Yes, folks, it's true: news out today that David Howman, who is the boss of WADA (World Anti-Doping Agency as we all know) has advised Contador not to enter the TdF. This is due to the delay by CAS (Court of Arbitration for Sport, are we all following these initials?) in hearing Conti's case - as we know, they've now put it back to beyond the Tour.

David Howman says “Legally, he has every right (to ride). It’s up to him. I wouldn’t advise him to do it but I can’t tell him not to.”

Well, that's an interesting stance.

ASO, on the other hand - they're the bunch that run the TdF - are not able to ban him from entering. Their man in charge, Christian Prudhomme, "expressed hope that the case would be resolved prior to the July 2 start of the 2011 Tour".  Of course, he can't come right out and say "get thee hence from our race and never darken our podiums again: well, not unless you can prove that you are totally clean."  But it's clear that he hoped to have the case sorted out one way or the other before the Tour started.

He, and ASO, are hovering a bit nervously around this point, as they got a lot of stick for banning the entire Astana team back in 2008 -  we all remember that, don't we? Contador was on Astana then, and he'd won it in 2007 but nonetheless he was not allowed to enter in 2008 as the Astana team had "multiple doping positives in the team during the 2007 Tour."  We assume that Contador was not one of those positives...  ASO have the right to ban riders, if they break what they call "ethical rules", ie if they are caught cheating: but apparently the rules are that as the rider concerned is co-operating with the anti-doping authorities, and as he has served his ban up until it was overturned, they can't really turn him away.

On the other, other hand (the gripping hand, if you read the same books that I do)(two housepoints to the first person who knows that expression),  we have Unipublic who run the Vuelta, who are delighted to welcome Contador with open arms. It doesn't actually say "whether found guilty or not" but that is the general sub-text feeling of their comments.

So,  fascinating stuff all round.

Where do we all stand?

On my part, I've given it a huge amount of thought over the last many months, and I've come to this conclusion: I actually believe Conti, I think it was an accidental contamination rather than deliberate cheating.

If you're not interested in my views about this, scroll down now!

If you're not sure yourself and want some more info, here's why:

1) the one-of-only-four-labs-that-can-find-it found a tiny, tiny, amount.

2) Conti was told "carry on, mate, don't worry about it, we'll sort it" by the UCI. This indicates that they realised that it was not a doping offence but a contamination issue, either of the beef or of the sample.

3) it only came out because it was leaked by that employee of the lab in Koln, (sorry, English keyboard, no umlauts) and once it was out, it quickly became a big issue - not least because it appeared to be being dealt with in a slightly underhand way.

4) the UCI and WADA have only appealed the ban being overturned because they have to be seen to be stronger than what you might call "political opinion." You know, Conti was backed up by the President of Spain, for heaven's sake, it takes a lot of strength to insist on a ban when there is some doubt about it all, and you have a President booming "Let him off!" at you.

5) Also, of course, we were all saying that the Spanish authorities, being Spanish, would kinda want to let him off, wouldn't they? The cycling press was full of "oh, he only got off because it was partisanship, it's not right for a country to judge it's own nationals, there should be an unbiased international enquiry group". [Which is quite right, in my opinion: countries should not be allowed to "try" their own people, it stands to reason that they will be lenient if they possibly can!]

I'm discounting the whole plasticiser issue, that was only ever mentioned once, by some anonymous lab technician in "a testing laboratory" not necessarily the same one: and it was never substantiated, and in fact only appeared once, all the other reports were cut-and-paste copies of that one report. We saw this for ourselves (back in Schleckland days) because they'd all spelt plasticiser the same, american, way.

So personally, I believe that Conti didn't cheat, and I want the CAS to uphold the overturning of him ban asap so that Andy can kick Conti's bony little butt all the way round France.

(Oh, I could add: 6) Andy said "I believe Conti is innocent" so that ought to count for something, too.)

Of course, I'll be really, REALLY bogged off if Conti wins! But if he does, well (*shrugs shoulders*) that will just show that he is the strongest rider in the world right now. I hope he isn't, I want Andy to win, but of course I'm a bit biased on that point.

Actually, it would be nice for Frankie to win, Andy second, Conti 4th (I don't mind who comes third, we could vote for a deserving person, maybe Igor Anton? Sadly, it would be a bit unrealistic to vote for Johan Van Summeren just because he's an honorary Schlecklander...). Then next year, Andy can win, and "someone else" can come 2nd and 3rd. (*big sigh*)

Right, that's enough of the serious (!) stuff, let's get onto something a bit more frivolous. I know! Captions!

Here's the Leopard Trek car, getting a bit lost and having to take a short-cut in order to catch up with Andy:


And now, with thanks to Figgy for suggesting it, another Puppy Picture: OGL really will  do anything that these photographers tell him, won't he?

"Go and pick some of those yellow daisy things, would you?"  "Try not to sneeze, sweetie." "OK, just hold one up in front of you - oh, bless you. Right, drop that bare stalk, pick up another one and this time don't hold it quite so high - yes, that's it" *click*

And we have to love this little girly, I've awarded her honorary Schlecklander status:


Finally, the ever-fascinating world of Search Terms: in the last 24 hours, we've had people getting here from searching for:

"Andy Schleck girlfriend 2011"  Ah, it's you again, hello! (*waves*) You don't give up, do you!

"Johan van Summeren"   14 of them!  We're happy to have JVS as an honorary Schlecklander, although I would still like to know what's behind all this rolling up of the sleeves...

"coug andy"   What!!  I had to try that one out for myself, and golly, there we are on the first page, yay!

"coug andy schleck"  WHAT!!!  Even better, we have 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th and 6th places on the first page, yay! Go, Team Schleckland!

"musette team leopard"  hmmmm, people have apparently heard about my campaign to get myself a LT musette this year.

And on a linked subject, hello to the Andy Schleck fan in Basildon! Please say "hello", you've been very diligent at reading the older posts and keeping up to date with the newer ones, so come along, make a comment and join us!

21 comments:

  1. I apologize for the long comment! Also an opinion on Contador if anyone wants to pass. :)

    I still believe he doped, intentionally. There’s enough inconsistencies in his story over the last few months that I’m hard pressed to believe him even though I would like to. I may not be a fan, but I don’t hate the guy either. It would be nice if it was true. I’m also a bit conspiratorial about it. I suspect with the Armstrong case, the UCI doesn’t want another TDF winner proven guilty of doping. The test used in the original lab (correct me if I’m wrong) is supposed to be highly sophisticated. Advanced science has my vote. Let’s remember, for years Armstrong didn’t have a single positive test (I think with maybe one exception supposedly masked by the UCI). The phantom plasticizer test definitely cannot be considered, but we know blood doping happens in the sport and it's highly difficult to detect.

    Having said all of that, it’s impossible to prove intentional or accidental doping, but the threshold of tolerance is zero…so *shrugs* Other athletes have paid the price, so why is Contador an exception? Well, he’s a star! Honestly though, I’m not wounded by it. Let the man race. The TDF will be more exciting with both of them. Allez Andy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Onward to fun things!

    You're right Coug, Andy does seem like an agreeable model. lol D'aww <3

    I chatted with our honorary Schlecklander girl briefly. The total number of miles she drove is about the equivalent of Madrid to Moscow and back. Hardcore! I hope she had enough Special Andy Time.

    Coug, do you check search terms with a blogger app?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Coug!

    It's Bethan, From Basildon.
    I know, please ignore all stereotypes, some of us do have taste! and a brain...)
    I must say I truly adored Scheckland and enjoy reading Eisen Andy just as much! I am still in two minds about whether to join (and possibly start my own blog)but I really appreciate the fact that you have reached out! I must say I am a little disappointed! Where have all the brilliant conversations between Andy and Coug gone? I miss them. I would also like tho take to the oppurtunity to say I totally agree with your opinion on some scary Italian stalkers! Some people just take things too far. Saying that I would love to meet Andy just to think 'Wow!' and go all red faced and embarrassed and walk away. Looking forward to all you blogs in future, hope we can see the return of the amazing captions! And I hope you get your Leopard Musette
    Lots of appreciation,
    Bethan.
    P.S. Are you aware of a certain video where Andy is seen practicing a very european custom with said honourary schlecklander?

    ReplyDelete
  4. WADA Stormtroopers? So who's the Emperor Palpatine of cycling? I could see Phil Liggett, MBE, as a Jedi.

    Not that Andy picking daisies isn't interesting, but notice that his shirt reads "Angel" on one side, and "Devil" on the other. Fascinating stuff. Perhaps a comment on the dualistic nature of man? Or just another one of those crazily ambiguous shirts that makes me WONDER, I mean really wonder, what makes this guy tick...

    http://biggamefishingcuracao.punt.nl/upload/tourvisserfrank.JPG

    Bethan, is this the video you're referring to?

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7HpMG-jjgI

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Gnasher, I know, I know: I've been wavering back and forth for months - but I got to the point of wondering if I wanted Contador to be "done" just because I'm a big Andy fan.... so in the end, I'd rather hope that he's innocent of deliberate doping, as it's going to be such a blow for the sport if he turns out to be a doper.

    And I am confident that Our Andy can kick his bony little butt. ("Go, Andy!")

    The Armstrong thing is not straightforward - perhaps we'll have another discussion of that some other time! Again, I'm not a Lance fan or a Lance hater, but I don't want him found guilty of anything now: not now he's retired, not now it's all over, and not now, when the sport really doesn't need a major scandal.

    Yes, Contador was clearly guilty of having a banned substance in his body: his entire defense is the slightly lawyer-y one of "I didn't do it deliberately" which no-one else has been able to get away with. He got away with it because he had Big Bucks and his president behind him. This is undoubtably unfair. But if it gets the question out in the open - and there is no doubt that clenbuterol is indeed present in meat in many countries, see report about tourists from China being checked, something like 16 out of 24 of them tested positive? - and gets clenbuterol added to the "minimum threshold" list, then it could save any number of future cyclists from being banned for accidental ingestion.

    (*waves silver lining*)

    Wow, Gnasher, you met our Honorary Schlecklander! What a sweetie! (Both of you)And what a great poster, I didn't know if she got to meet him - was that her in the video? She's a lot taller (and older) standing up! Well done Bethan, no, I wasn't aware of that video, and well done Figgy as always for finding it!

    Oh, I check the search terms in the normal Blogger stats page. Nothing special. I do also have StatCounter, but I don't go and look at it every day...... but when I do, it's fascinating....

    Hey Bethan! (*waves*) thanks for your kind comments, we all miss Schleckland a bit (*sniffs*). And the fictional conversations.... perhaps I'll try to slip a few more in - without crossing "that line" and getting sent back to Andyhab!

    I imagine that now, I'd also be one of the "Goes Bright Red And Can't Speak" brigade. Or would I? (*ponders*). News Update on the passport saga, by the way: went out and got photos done, then my shotgun renewal form dropped through the letterbox. That's much more important than a mere passport, so the photos had to be diverted. Now I have to get another set of photos done..... sigh.

    But at least I won't need a passport to go to the Tour of Britain. Somehow I WILL get that Leopard musette, I WILL!

    Hey Figgy, thanks for the reminder of that great tee, "Can you help me undress" ha! ha!

    What a clown, does he seriously not know that most of his girly fans would happily help him without such a blatant invite? Is it his best pulling tee? Does he really not know how popular he is amoung us 14-year olds? (Yes, Barbara, before you say it, I know that none of us are really 14 years old) (well, some of you might be, but I'm certainly not!)

    I don't think there's anything deeply significant about it, I think it just shows he has a sense of humour.

    Although I'm not sure about the Claudia naked boobies one that he seems to be sharing with Jakob... that was a bit worrying. And a bit tasteless... especially with the local kiddies... let's not go there!

    Ooh, time for breakfast! Speak later, everyone¬

    Coug

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Cougs and co.
    I want to believe Conti is clean but not convinced. There can not be such a discrepancy between his good days and other top riders good days unless assisted by doping.I think however doping or not he is still an amazing rider to watch-body only. I'm not into his head(looks)

    Re that video of Andy and fan that Figgy has linked- well I'm no expert of body language or such but if you slow it down(yes I have to much free time at work at moment) then OGL does give her a very 'knowing look' as she coyly reciprocates his triple kiss. I would by analysis, say they seem to know each other quite well.
    However not sure of European etiqutte. I mean if guy/girl in my country have 'got it together' then to be greeted next day by kisses on cheek would probably result in a sharp slap to his face and mouthful of expletives.

    Also that naked lady shirt needs to go. Obviously now candyboy has lusciuos loulou he doesn't want to be seen in some tacky teeshirt.It needs to go into the bonfire with Fabs bad miami vice suits and that bad leather jacket modelled by Andy. Actually Andy has a few clothes that could go into the bonfire. They may as well throw in Jakobs brow waxing strips while they are at it.
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Naked Lady T-shirt made another appearance in a photo someone tweeted this past weekend! (sorry I forget who).

    ReplyDelete
  8. Alas, Emily is right. The Claudia shirt did make another appearance recently. I believe the photo was posted by Brian Nygaard:

    http://lockerz.com/s/108069166

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh no! I thought that t-shirt had left our lives for good! But apparently it's still part of the curious t-shirt collection of Andy Schleck. ;p Seriously, it's time for an intervention. Who can we tweet about this grave matter? Jakob? Joshi? lol

    ReplyDelete
  10. 14 or 41 or 82, does it really matters? We're all on the verge of (another) Andyhab, aren't we? But better we wait till the end of July.

    My wish: OGL wins it, his brother on the podium too and Mr. C. somewhere between second and tenth. Next year brother may win the race, but for now I'm afraid that OGL will be too depressed with being second again and even stop with it all. Would we survive that?

    ReplyDelete
  11. sorry, not matterS, but matter.

    ReplyDelete
  12. We know what you meant!

    It appears from Gnasher's observations of bottom-grabbing grannies that Andy appeals to a very wide range of ages.....

    I doubt that Andy would stop racing if he "only" came second again! He's not a nervy type (thinks of Contador, nervously, with lower lip wobbling, saying "if I get banned I won't race again", yeah, how did that work out for you, Alberto?) and I think he only got a little emotional after L-B-L because everyone expected him to win it. At TdF, "everyone" is expecting Conti to win, so coming second (or - gulps - lower) won't be such a drop.

    Besides, if he did stop racing, well, for a start he'd have lots of free time, so he'd be able to stop and talk to his fans: he speaks lots of languages so he could be a commentator (Bet we'd all listen in to him, ha! ha!)and he has said in interviews that when he stops racing he'd like to work for the Lux parks department. Aha! We'd be colleagues! We could go to botanical conferences together! I could let him look over my shoulder at my notes! We could share tips on pruning techniques! OK! Back to Andyhab I go!

    Coug

    PS and yes, time to burn a few of those shirts...

    Oh, Figgy, regarding the significance of the Angel/Devil shirt, do you read anything into the fact that "Devil" is the one over his heart?

    PS Cindy, do you know, I'm not sure the girl who gets the kisses is the same as the girl with the sign? But I agree that the girl who gets the kisses gets more than a casual greeting, I think he puts his arm out around her, too, and he kind of leans in to her...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Cougs- yes I meant the one who gets the kisses on the video(which I must say looks sweet and pretty and not some tacky tart.

    She is definately not the girl with the sign who I think I read didn't even get to meet Andy. Sign girl went to so much effort that Leopard should have made her a honorary member for the rest of the event.
    I mean what else does a girlfan have to do to meet him-lassoo him with some oversized knickers and take him hostage or push him off his bike and tie his hands up and force him to .......well lucky for OGL I'm to far away in OZ to get my hands on him. Actually I'm like many fans and would just mumble something pathetic whilst going beetroot if I met him.. Cindy/CeCe

    ReplyDelete
  14. I wonder more about the manufacturer of said Angel/Devil shirt for arranging the words that way. I bought a shirt that reads "Evil makes me sad", but what I really wanted was an "Evil keeps me young" shirt. :p

    Okay, must get back to studying airport maps, so I don't end up in Martinique, instead of France. Incidentally does anyone have any practical advice to offer about attending a stage of bicycling race, that DOES NOT involve grabbing a hapless cyclist's gluteus maximus? (Sigh. Am I really the only one that feels like there should be a minder for these cyclists, swatting the grabby hands away? *cracks whip*)

    Anyway, Fede suggested bringing a chair, and water. I am still chuckling at tripadvisor's advice to "befriend Belgians on the Champs Élysées", although I learned from Fede that Belgian fans are the most organized, and festal.

    Er, I'm going to stick to my plan of rooting for Ryder Hesjedal (Go Ryder!), and carrying several ketchup packets... the jig will be up, when a flock of ravenous wildlife maul me for said ketchup packets.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ah, you're supporting Ryder Hesjedal then? Not Mechanic Hesjedal? (*sniggers*) Honestly, that joke will never get stale.

    One person suggested (I think it was Fede again, actually) taking a radio so you can listen to the commentary and know when they are approaching.

    Hat, coat, brolly, sun tan lotion, water wings and flippers should complete the outfit. Camera. Fully charged and spare batteries! indelible pen for getting signatures or miniature portraits on the backs of your ears. Food. Flag to wave. Big bucket of happiness to spread around. There, you're all set!

    Coug

    PS Cindy, "lassoo him with some oversize knickers"??? (*wipes mouth and nose after minor spluttering incident*)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sorry Cougs it was a phrase I learnt from my lovely late nan when I had to take her to a Tom Jones concert some years ago. There was so many granny knickers being thrown on stage it was unbelievable....poor Tom - Some of the old grans are quite saucy...Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  17. Vill Gléck fir äre Gebuertsdag!

    I either just wrote a birthday greeting in Luxembourgish, or I've sworn a gypsy oath to curse the badgers of Luxembourg next winter. If it's the latter thing, I am really sorry!

    Good news for old fogeys like me: Yay he's 26!
    Bad news: I'm still 28. Damn! Why haven't I figured out time travel yet?!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh Cindy, you were FORCED to go to a Tom Jones concert were you - how dreadful for you! (*laughs*) When I grow up I plan to be one of those saucy grans, by the way, the sort that grab young cyclists' bottoms, heh heh heh heh

    And yes! Mappy Burpday to Undy, Hippy Whopday to Undy, Whippy FLURPDAY to Uuuuunnnnddddyyyyyyyyy - Yippee Merpday to yooooooo! Big kisses! (*fingers crossed that LLB will forgive me just this once*)

    28, ah, (*sighs gently*) I remember being 28.....

    Have a great birthday weekend everyone, see you next week,

    Coug

    ReplyDelete
  19. Figgy, time travel is all in your mind. I'm still in my mid to late 20's and I was born in 1980.

    I was at the Philly race this past weekend and stood right next to Alex Rasmussen. People were grabbing him left and right and I just didn't have the nerve. If I saw OGL at a race I'm afraid I'd run in the other direction and just admire from a safe distance.

    And I have something to confess. I actually like the Claudia t-shirt. I did find it a bit creepy in the company of children however.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Emily, I confess that I am, to quote Bender from Futurama,"A stupid, putrid coward." Ideally, I would watch Andy racing from a safe distance of a few furlongs, from the observation deck of whatever tallest structure is nearby. I wouldn't just run, I would disappear Road Runner--meep meep--style, leaving a trail of comedic smoke in my wake. If I had the hapless misfortune to run into him, I would have to pretend that I have a rare condition which prevents me from making direct eye contact, and causes my neck to swerve from side-to-side.

    Poor Alex. At least other cyclists have someone to commiserate with re: the legion of anonymous grabby hands.

    I always confuse Claudia Schiffer with Brigitte Bardot. I wouldn't mind the shirt so much, if it didn't seem like a tacit declaration of what they're looking for in a woman :P

    ReplyDelete
  21. Interesting point Figgy. Unfortunately/fortunately, Andy is so cute, he can get away with tragic t-shirts. lol Actually, I don't mind the shirt's existence, but think it's a bit gauche for a grown man, especially if you have a decent love life, is there a need to put your desire on display? Anyhoo, it's nothing a steady girl can't take care of one day. ;) *waits for flood of volunteers*

    It seems grabby hands are a common thing at these events. Like Jensi once said, they're treated like rock stars. And honestly, even though I'm not condoning that behavior (seriously, don't do it people), I don't think all of the guys minds. :p

    Ah Coug, last time I visited, I missed the nice thing you said about me (and Honorary Schlecklander). Thanks! <3

    ReplyDelete