Tuesday 24 May 2011

Will the Giro ever end?

Sigh... I've almost had enough of the Giro this year.

What with losing Wouter Weylandt, which was awful: then Leopard Trek leaving (which was understandable) then with Contador having a suspiciously good day up Mount Etna which started the rumours again (which are getting on everyone's nerves by the sound of it) and what with the booing (what was all that about?) and then we have press revelations about Armstrong.... then poor Tondo being killed in while getting ready to go training....and meanwhile the Giro seems to have been going on forever.


It's annoying, (if understandable and I suppose, a good thing) that the press can't make up their minds about Contador either.

THIS report from the Sydney Morning Herald is headlined "Stakes Rise as unflappable Contador's climb goes on."

The reporter repeatedly mentions how calm Contador is, how the pressure of the CAS doesn't seem to be affecting him, how Armstrong could never break him (?) etc.

But we all remember the fragile, sniffling Contador making big tearful puppy-dog eyes at the camera, don't we? What happened to "I'll never race again"? What happened to "I'm so upset at these allegations that I can't sleep and my hair is falling out"?

I suppose we could say that Contador's confidence indicates that he knows that the CAS enquiry is going to find in his favour.

I have already come to the conclusion that the CAS enquiry is fueled far more by politics than by he's-doing-drugs-let's-flatten-him. WADA and the UCI seem to feel that they have to make a stand against the blatant use of the Spanish president etc to get the ban squashed - and so they should. Bans should only be squashed if it's the right thing to do, not because some big-wig says that you must.

Incidentally, going back to the Giro, what was all that booing about?

I watched the Monte Zoncolan stage over the weekend, and I was staggered to hear the booing! I mean, I know we all dislike him for the Chaingate thing, but booing him in a different race, when Our Andy isn't even in it? Oh, it wasn't for that reason, apparently.  What was it then? He gave away the stage the day before, didn't he, and wasn't that a good thing to do? Oh, apparently he did it in a patronising way. It's not considered good form to make a hand gesture in front of everyone: "one" is supposed to pretend to be tired out, to make it look as though the other person is genuinely winning. Well, now I know.

But was that enough to be booed? Apparently the predominantly Italian fans felt that Contador was somehow single-handedly responsible for the cancellation of the mad Monte Crostis downhill plunge that would quite possibly have given Nibali a bit of an advantage, seeing as he is able to descend as though he was hang-gliding.... oh, and the way Conti rounded up some Spaniards to work in his group didn't endear him to the Italian fans either.

I must admit (*looks guiltily over shoulder in case anyone is listening*) that I did laugh as he rounded the last corner, getting his smile in place ready for the cameras, then he heard the boos and his face fell - just like it did on the podium at TdF last year.  But then within seconds I was indignantly asking "why are they booing?"

The Giro seems to be ill-fated this year...  as is Blogger, come to think of it - I started this post yesterday then I wasn't able to access it again until a short time ago. Ooer, perhaps I've used up all my allocation?

10 comments:

  1. I'm with you, Coug, on most parts of this. I was so excited to watch my first Giro (yup, Giro Virgin) but, well, with WW's death and the other things you mentioned as well as just the lack of suspense, I am ready for it to be over.

    But, the boos, I get. I mean, I wouldn't do it, but I think there's some cultural difference. The second change to that Giro stage, the change made apparently while the riders were on the road, really must have disappointed the heck out of those tifosi. I don't know enough to understand the pressures put on the organizers to make the change but it seems to be likely that Saxo/Reis/Contador benefited from the change. So, I can understand booing in the heat of the moment.

    Is it July yet?

    PeeDee

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey PeeDee, yup, me too. And no, it's not quite July yet. Soon, my dear, soon.

    Apparently that last-minute change of route was because the planned route was actually being blocked by protestors. (I don't quite understand why they couldn't just get a car or a bulldozer/backhoe to frighten them out of the way...)

    The organisers deserve some credit for finding an alternative route and getting the roads cleared, while our boys were cycling closer and closer! Can you imagine the panic back in the control room....

    And now dear old Tondo (I used to call him Tonto, sigh) has died. And that wretched 60 minutes programme. And how do we think Stomach of Anger are feeling? They go to all the trouble of making a special Weylandt fundraising tee shirt: what do they do now? Should they do one for Tondo? If they don't, will they be criticised for favouritism? Will Wouter's widow now start feeling bad that people are raising money for her, but not for Tondo? But if they do, will people not start talking about charity fatigue? (*tears hair out*)

    I'm glad I'm not in charge of things!

    Coug

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a cool blog Cougar Girl!
    Came across it while surfing andyisms...
    I am a fan of Andy (obviously) and Jakob, though not necessary in that order :)
    I'm actually going to the TdF this year and Andy and Jakob are first on my list to hunt down and possibly have a photo with - though I would probably just stare and drool when I do actually see them - god I hope I don't say something stupid or drool!
    Keep the awesome pictures coming! Love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey BikeGirl, welcome to Schleckland, we're pretty keen on Jakob too (could you tell?) and no-one minds who is "first" or "second" in your affections!

    Wow, you're going to TdF (seethes with envy) that's great - have you found Banana About Bikes yet? If not, check it out, and maybe you'll write a report after the TdF telling us how you met Andy and Jakob and how nice they were about providing towels to mop up the drool.... I'm sure they're used to it. Eva met Andy and - (*big eyes*) touched his arm, oooh! Let's hope that you are lucky enough to do that, too. And if you are, tell us aaaaaaallll about it!

    I would say "feel free to go back and read some of the old posts" but I can see that you've donea pretty thorough job already! Hope you enjoyed it all.

    Coug

    ReplyDelete
  5. BikeGirl - if you like Jakob, check out justfuglen.tumblr.com *cough-selfpromo-cough* ;)

    The only reason I'm watching the Giro now is so I can spot yummy Alex Rasmussen!! Also it's on v. late for us over here, so I mostly just watch the highlights every day. Coug, have you decided to get your passport organised to come to TDF yet??

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Leelu,

    Errrr, still can't find the photos, will have to have new photos done, have just cut hair, am forced by insane "I in't pritty but I am compelled to make the best of what I have" philosophy to wait another week or two until it grows in just a little bit. Oh, and I have a big mark on my nose (whacked in the face with the branch of a tree, lovely) so I'm waiting until that goes down.

    Then I will get the photos done, and then I will send off for the new passport.

    Honest.

    Wups, forget to give BikeGirl the link to Best Jakob Blog In Blogdom - sorry!

    Coug

    ReplyDelete
  7. "Best Jakob Blog In Blogdom" hahaha I like!! :D

    Oh, maybe you match Andy with his scratch on the forehead now?? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nah, it's on the end of my nose.... nice idea, though.

    On second thoughts, I'm not THAT demented a fan!

    Coug
    (Are you impressed, Blogging and Tweeting at the same time? I'm warning you, one of them will break!)

    ReplyDelete
  9. very impressed!! you're so talented!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. And so modest! Seriously, look, I broke Twitter again, didn't I? It's now failing to refresh automatically, and doing weird things when I do it manually. Oh! Did Blogger hear me? Will the blog crack under the strain again? (*rushes to finish post...*)

    Coug

    ReplyDelete