Tuesday 17 May 2011

Contador - not innocent until proven guilty AT ALL!!!

Miss FeeDee made an interesting point on her blog the other day: she comments on the way Contador simply flew up Mount Etna when all around him were panting and collapsing.

This had led her to a crisis of conscience on the theme of "I should give him the courtesy of saying he's innocent until proven guilty, but blimey, the way he shot up that hill like a rocket makes me think that he must be on something - oh, confusion!"

Well, here's my two-penn'th, as we say in England in the late 1950s:

The phrase "innocent until proven guilty" relates to English law.

Now, Contador is a cyclist, and his ruling body is the UCI, who are based in Switzerland - not in England - and they have Rules, but they don't make laws.

If you break a UCI rule, you get penalised by them, but you don't go to jail.

The worst that can happen is things  like fines, bans, and having past wins taken away from you. A cyclist who breaks UCI rules (not laws, rules) may never be able to cycle professionally at that level again, but he doesn't go to jail, and he won't have a criminal record for the rest of his life.

So, "innocent until proven guilty" doesn't apply. Especially as Contador has already been proven guilty - the lab results showed that on several days he had Clenbuterol in his system. He can't deny that, but he is trying to prove that that he didn't do it deliberately.

Not quite the same thing!

So we don't have to worry about being fair to Conti, we just have to wait for CAS to get their act together and decide what they are going to do about it.

In the meantime, blimey, he flew up Mount Etna like a rocket, was he on something???!!

As several people have said on Miss FeeDee's blog, we all want Conti to be clean, we all want cycling to be clean, but really? To drop everyone else like that?

On the one hand, I can't imagine anyone being stupid enough to use PEDs when in Conti's position, ie the eyes of the world upon him and the likelihood of testing being about 100%.

But on the other hand, he went up that hill like a rocket!

And this is someone who spent months under suspension and suspicion, who was frequently seen nearly in tears, who didn't have a relaxing winter break like everyone else, who was stressed to a severe degree, who didn't have a proper training regime, and who allegedly only had 30 days' warning before his first race this season.  And who already has four stage wins and two overall wins.

It reminds me so much of one of my early Tours de France, when a young rider shot past everyone else on the hill, and LLB explained to me that he was looking so surprised because no-one should be able to ride uphill like that, at that stage in a race. Yup, it was Floyd Landis.

Sigh.

And another sigh - I haven't seen any footage of the Amgen Tour of California yet, it's all sitting on LLB's recorder, waiting for the weekend.  Apparently the first stage was cancelled due to snow:



So, in order to present the usual cheerful face to my fellow fangirls, here is a picture that I thought might amuse you/us/me.

Here are Anders Lund and a highly-muffled Andy Schleck talking to the Sky car:


"So, Andy, why don't you make life easier for Cougar Girl and join us here at Sky? You could come and live in England, which would be nice for Coug, Kara, Eli, Original Kara, and all your other UK fans: and it means that Coug wouldn't have to support two teams."

Andy: "Smmmmfff mmfffffff nkkk mmmfffff."

"Well, you already speak very good English, you'd feel right at home here."

Andy "Hffff mffff mmf-mfffnfffff?"

"Yes, we have McDonalds."

Andy: (*pauses to think*) "Mffffff -"

At that moment Brian Nygaard appeared with a big stick and the interview was over.

8 comments:

  1. I actually wonder why an athlete facing a possible suspension, is even competing at all. How does that work? Does it nullify his recent results, if it's determined by the CAS (WADA and the UCI are filing separate appeals, apparently) that he should face disciplinary action?

    There just seems to be a lot of "sitting on hands" in the cycling bureaucracy--well, that's good, it's at least a properly useless governing body then--, and I wish these people would just make a decision either way. All this dithering creates uncertainty, and when you watch a competition, in any sport, you hope you're watching a display of skill, and not a pharmaceutical experiment :(

    Worth mentioning: The company Road ID have produced a Wouter Weylandt wristband, the proceeds of which will go towards the memorial fund Leopard Trek have set up in his name.

    http://www.roadid.com/Wouter/

    Also, it might be a bit late across the pond, but the Radioshack Tour Tracker has been providing fabulous live streams of the Tour of California, usually starting around 1:45-2PM PDT. So about 10PM in Britain, and 11PM for central Europe.

    http://tracker.amgentourofcalifornia.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are you sure Coug that in that muffled interview of Andy's, that he didnt say something about how he is really looking forward to coming to Australia and spending some valuable time with his bff.. aka ME! ;)Cause I'm pretty fluent in muffled talk and I think that’s what he meant when he said- "Hffff mffff mmf-mfffnfffff". What do you think?

    And as for Contador, well everyone has an opinion about him, that’s for sure- but you should have seen him go up Mount Etna- the only guy on the day to show how to REALLY climb that mountain! And with the world (well more like the cycling world) pretty much watching him 24/7 its hard to believe he would have banned substances circulating in his system- I mean why risk it all?? Just for the glory of claiming a victory in a grand tour but then to have it stripped off you?!...hmmmm the topic sure does raise a lot of questions & not many answers.

    Anyways got to get back to studying for the lovely thing called exams that are coming up- hope Andy doesnt get here too early and distract me! ;). Hope you've been well Coug.
    Xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Figgy, it's weird, isn't it, for him to be allowed to compete. I suppose the theory goes "if he's innocent, and this further investigation is just a politically-motivated enquiry in order to reassure everyone that there was no dodgy business, then he ought to be riding in the meantime."

    But my concern - along with everybody else, by the sounds of things - is that if he's later found guilty, then ALL those races, ALL those wins, are nullified, which is just so unfair on everyone else who then gets moved up a place, but who doesn't have the glory on the day.

    But, but, if it were Andy who was under investigation, I would be 100% certain of his innocence, and I would be furious at the suggestion that he should waste a precious year of racing, during his peak years, just because of administration and committees faffing about.

    Wouldn't we all?

    I'm sure the Conti fans (all five of them)(ooh, that was catty, sorry) are utterly convinced of his innocence and are equally furious at these long-drawn out investigations, when he is obviously on top form.

    As I often say - if there were an easy answer, someone would have thought of it by now.

    And hey Nim, I'd forgotten about the time-share arrangement: you get him in your pyjamas, don't you, and someone else (was it Eva?) gets him during the day. Although now that Eva has touched his arm.... well, I think maybe she's had her fair share? And good luck with those exams, just remember not to answer "schleck" or "luxembour" to any of the questions....

    Coug

    ReplyDelete
  4. Umm... I'm going to play the black sheep here...

    Yes, Contador flew up that hill, but don't forget that some other dude managed to stay on his wheel for most of it.

    Also, as far as I'm concerned and as it is, he's been cleared. Why should he sit around on his bony behind waiting to see what the UCI and CAS come up with for the appeal? It's probably difficult for him not knowing what is actually going to happen - he's got a reputation that's now been dragged through the mud and his cycling career is in jeopardy. If racing and enjoying what he loves gets him by in the meantime, then I'm fine with that.

    I'm not saying I like Contador. I don't really. Although I will recognise that my opinion of him has softened somewhat from late last year. But I enjoy watching him race and I'm comfortable sitting on my fence here. As far as the 'flying up the hill' bit. I'll liken it to the world of tennis. Take an in-form Federer or Nadal (or perhaps let's go with Djokovic given his incredible form right now!). They can be playing a match, all nice and friendly and it looks quite even. And then, all of a sudden, they kick it up an extra gear. It's just that they are *that* much better than everyone else. Perhaps this is what happened on Etna?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think the problem is that the Spanish Federation had a lot of non-cycling elements whispering in their ear, including the Prime Minister, Jose Luis Rodriguez Zapatero, who publicly urged the Federation to clear Contador--what the government has to do with cycling, in any country, is beyond me. I just think it's terribly unfair to his competitors if the CAS should decide to overturn the Spanish Federation's decision.

    I was impressed Scarponi lasted as long as he did on Contador's wheel. It reminded me of what the Brazilian tennis player, Thomaz Belucci, almost accomplished in Madrid--nearly ending Novak Djokovic's (boo-urns!) winning streak. I'm sorry, I just can't bring myself to like this guy, maybe it's because he looks like he's about to morph into a fire-breathing dragon when he's exultant:

    http://www.europaplus.tv/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/Novak-Djokovic.jpg

    Sigh, pre-mononucleosis / Nadal neurosis Federer was sublime, and a joy to watch. :( I don't think I've cried so hard as when Roger lost to Rafa in Wimbledon 2008. There's just something about watching Roger lose that is so demoralizing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I want to believe Contador is clean.
    I want to believe the Clenbuterol was an accident.
    Am I just being naive?
    I believed Landis was innocent too, right up until he confessed and went kinda nuts, mostly because I didn't think anyone would be so determined to prove their innocence while knowing they were guilty. Definitely naive.
    I just think it is a shame for the rider and the sport when someone has a fantastic day or fantastic career (Lance!) and the first thing everyone thinks, is "what is he on?"
    I started watching cycling by accident when I came across the Tour on TV and got fascinated trying to figure out how a big pack of guys riding together across France constituted a race. Since then, I've come to appreciate things like the beauty of the ebb and flow of the peloton around the traffic circles, the hope and glory of the breakaway that won't survive, the strategy and teamwork of the sprinters, the dedication of the domestiques, and the emotion of the tribute ride to Weylandt.
    I think I'd rather stay naive and enjoy the sport.
    emjay

    ReplyDelete
  7. MJ, you are quite right, it is a shame when "what is he on?" is the first question that crosses our minds.

    I think I'm just so tired of the whole Conti mess that I just want it to be over one way or the other, and I know that it won't be: whichever way the decision goes, there will be speculation, re-hashing of "facts", and more mud-slinging.

    I do love the ebb and flow (or brownian motion) of the peloton, it was better when the kit colour were more solid and differentiated, but it's still fascinating to see the teams grouping and moving around the peloton.

    Yay for the weekend and a chance to catch up on the ToC footage!

    Coug

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sorry to catch up with the discussion just now, but I didn't have time to comment earlier :P

    I just wanted to point out that I wrote my post about Contador on Sunday, right after he had climbed up Etna like a rocket. I wrote it especially for myself, because my mind was a complete chaos and I wanted to put order between my thoughts. I actually had some doubts about publishing the post or not, because at first it was meant to be a 'personal thing' to clarify my own thoughts.

    Almost a week after that stage, however, I realise I've been too much impulsive - and also a bit mean when I wrote that thing. In fact now I agree with the points that you've made in your posts/comments.

    I pretty like Contador as a person, but I think that my main problem about him is that I'm not very happy about the fact that he's racing in the Giro. Perhaps that's why I'm a bit mean to him :P
    I'm not happy that the Spaniard's taking part in the Corsa Rosa mainly for three reasons: firstly, because I like watching races where the results come from the roads and not from a tribunal. Secondly, a rider like Pellizotti (who had strange blood values in his biological passport) lost one year and a half of his career because he refused to race under investigation, although then a tribunal said he actually hadn't broken any rule (now Franco has actually abandoned cycling because another tribunal has proved him guilty and banned him for 2 years). Thirdly, I don't want another Valverde.

    I've also got one last thing to say :P In fact, I'd like to point out that "What is he on?" doesn't appear in the list of 'most frequently asked' question that I ask myself while watching cycling races (the FAQ n.1 in fact is: 'why is Euskaltel pulling?!?') :P
    In fact, in spite of all the times I've burnt my hand in the past, I still manage to enjoy this wonderful sport - otherwise, I would have already stopped following it already a long time ago.

    ReplyDelete