Thursday 26 May 2011

Contador: still hanging on that hook

News from Reuters today that Contador's CAS (Court of Arbitration for Sport, but you already knew that, didn't you?) hearing has been delayed, and now won't be carried out until AFTER the Tour, instead of being safely out of the way before it.

CAS won't say if Conti's lot wanted the change of date, or the UCI: either way, it means that Conti will be racing in the Tour.

Which is all well and good unless CAS uphold his ban, in which case it will be a whole waste of time for everyone else participating in it.

What, exactly, are they playing at? How can it take a year to sort this thing out?

There's been some suggestions on Twitter - yes, I know, I know, I keep saying "never again" but then Auntie Leelu comes along and lures me back there.... - which are worth repeating.

David Harmon (my favourite commentator) asked the question:


I'm not sure about "keeping a name in the TdF", blimey, we have the Schlecks, what more do they want? OK, I might be slightly biased.. but there's Jakob as well, Jensi if his hand heals in time, probably Fab, maybe Little Fab ... not to mention guys from other teams. (*sniffle, no Tondo - glum face*)

Why would ASO be working out how to exclude him? Unless of course they secretly think he's going to be found guilty of taking it knowingly, and therefore likely to be stripped of any title? (I like the way we assume that if Contador took part, he'd win it!) I can barely imagine the headache that the admin department will have if Conti is banned, having to reallocate all those points and prizes, and positions, and money, and stuff.

In fact, it's entirely possible that ASO and RCS (Giro organisers) are now desperately hoping that the ban won't be upheld, don't you think? Just to avoid the admin problems!

And now better news - the Schleck Fanclub have a new flag!!  But alas for Figgy, they don't do it in a "car" version yet...


I love the way they've printed the names below their faces.... as if we can't tell the difference....and hey look, Frankie's eyes follow you round the room.. but what is Undy looking at?

4 comments:

  1. I haven't commented on your blog for aaaages, Coug, it's a disgrace!

    Now I don't know if I want Andy to win the Tour this year. Andy wins but number two is found guilty for doping? I'm forced to hope that Bertie is cleared so Andy can kick his butt properly.

    And I'm sorry but I don't think they count Jakob as a "name" - they should, though :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do think this is miserable for the sport. I saw a suggestion (yes, on Twitter) today that if AC is found guilty (after this year's TdF) then he should lose his result for 2010, of course, and whatever ban is imposed should start at time of guilt being found. In other words, other results in the meantime would stand. I actually think this makes sense. But, making sense doesn't always seem to be the thing in cycling, is it?

    PeeDee

    ReplyDelete
  3. *Mock-indignation* No new flag pour voiture? Well there go my plans to ambush the diplomatic envoys’ limousines, and replacing the little flags of whatever country they’re from hanging from the wing / side mirror, with the drapeau Frank & Andy. Foiled again in my hopes of promoting the creation of the pan-European, confederated states of LAY-oh-pard Trek! I had such lovely plans for the mint to produce coinages in the shape of Andy’s nose as well… it would have been a numismatic work of art.

    About the CAS: You mean they’re still sitting on their hands, instead of dealing with Contador’s case, before arguably the most high-profile event in the sport? Why, so that the results can be a muddle all over again?

    Also, regarding your last post Coug. I do remember reading that Alberto was in some distress over his provisional suspension. There was even a rally organised in his hometown to boost his morale. Didn’t Alberto say that, whatever the Spanish federation decided, he felt that his reputation was ruined irreparably, and he wasn’t sure he wanted to compete anymore? Now I’m reading that he has ambitions of winning both the Giro, and the Tour, back-to-back. Well, I guess it’s good that he got his mojo back as it were, good in the way that an anti-Hepatitis vaccine is good, and good like having an abscessed appendix removed is good…

    I think Andy can win the Tour outright, Bertie, or no Bertie. So bring on July then. Rrroaaaar.

    Oh, and eyes that follow you around the room? Doesn't that put anyone else in mind of those Kit Kat Clocks? See:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_fvoR51xTM

    Ho ho, there could be a market for that. Just try to focus with a Schleck clock following your every move, tick tick tick...
    --

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Susanne, nice to hear from you again! What was that? Jakob doesn't count as a "name"? Huh! (*indignant snorts*)

    I love your philosophy and have adopted it as mine: "I am forced to hope that Conti is cleared so Unndy can kick his bony little butt properly." Yay!

    PeeDee, I'll have to read that again: if guilty, he loses TdF 2010 win, as that's when the offence occurred - but then he keeps everything he won up to the date the ban starts? Uh? That can't be fair. Mind you, it would be a lot easier to administrate it.... ok I can see the point.

    But technically, he was banned, er, towards the end of August, wasn't it? It's more likely that they'll say (if he's found guilty) that the original ban stands, he loses the wins from this year so far, but is clear to ride TdF by that ridiculous margin of 6 hours or whatever it was.

    Whatever happens, I am forced to hope that Conti is cleared so that Our Glorious Leader can kick his bony little butt..... Figgy, I like the Rroaaar, I'll join you in that (*makes vampire fang face*) (*mirrors crack all around*).

    That clock comment is far too good to pass up.....

    Coug

    ReplyDelete