Monday 7 February 2011

This is why we don't have an English Procycling team...

...that trains in England full-time, that is.

Remember I made that remark about finding it hard to picture the Sky team pounding up and down the M60?


Well, this is why! Today, police had to close the M60 when a lorry was blown over earlier today.

Blown over! A lorry! What do you think that could do to our Pro-cyclists!!!

And they think they're having it tough in Qatar...

Talking of which, Qatar - pronounced Katarr with no inflection, which is news to me as I've been pronouncing it Kwa'tARR for years.... -anyway, Qatar, Tour of, has started.  Over here in the UK we have hardly any coverage at all, but good old Eurosport managed to squeeze in a bit on Sunday, despite the ski-ing over-running by 25 minutes.. gggrrrrrr....

So Lovely Lovely Boyfriend and I watched the end of the Time Trial/Prologue, which was very short but moderately exciting, as the course was set around the "City of Zombies". OK, really it was called the Cultural Village or something equally daft, but it was almost completely deserted, and surrounded by desert. Not exactly what our ProTeams are accustomed to... three blokes and a dog at the finish line, and what appeared to be someone with an iPod playing Lady Gaga.

The important aspects from our point of view included a) the entire route was cobbled, b) in different styles of cobbles, c) with masses of road furniture hanging out over the course: d) it was as twisty and turny as, well, a city centre, despite being some sort of ring road: and e) despite being some sort of ring road and therefore about a mile wide, they had restricted it with cones and barriers as though specifically to make it as dangerous as possible. Luckily each outing only lasted 3 minutes, somewhat weird for a TT but there you go.

And Cavendish managed to fall off.

And the race organisers, ASO, managed not to have any TV coverage of it.

Despite having a camera bike behind every rider, and despite Cav being second to last to go, and therefore - you would have thought - one of those who you'd want to have coverage of.

Here he is afterwards, well bandaged: apparently his front wheel collapsed and he bunnyhopped over the speedbump. Don't look at me like that, that's what the BBC said! Yes, there was a speedbump.

ASO also managed not to have any coverage whatsoever until the ski-ing finally, finally, finished. Not even a ticker! Not even anyone on that wretched Twitter!

Oh, and there was a building that appeared to have a monstrous beetroot on it's roof. All very strange.

This is what the cultural village was supposed to look like, but don't be fooled: in real life it was all bendy skyscrapers and brown, brown, brown.

Not one inch of green anywhere.

Very grim.

And apparently there weren't any spectators as there "wasn't any interest in cycling" in the area.

Thanks, Qatar, do you seriously expect us to come back?

Fabian, below is saying to Kim "Pffft, all zis sand, ees ruining my hair, and my tanline, eet vill be rideeeculous. Le'ss go home. Come on, le'ss go home."


Photo: Cycling News
You'll notice that the official vehicle - they all had white Mitsubishi pick-ups - does not say Leeopard Trek on the side... I wonder why?

Stage 1 has taken place today, but I won't be seeing any of it until Wednesday, and by then hopefully LLB will have taped the coverage so I can catch up on it. I can see that Cancellara is ok, above:  but Brian, mate, what jersey is Fabu wearing now? Where's "the name on the collar" gone?  You are going to have to redesign those jerseys......

...I mean, where are Team Schlux in this picture?

Photo: Graham Watson via Cycling News

Can YOU pick them out? Coz I sure as hell can't!

Sartorial complaints aside, we're doing ok so far, so fingers crossed for Team Schlux and for Team Sky - yes, I have two teams to support now, plus Igor Anton from Euskaltel as my Favourite Underdog.



Now, briefly, other items: I promised a picture of the Peak District for those Schlecklanders who have no idea where it is. Here's the panoramic view early one morning. Yup, that's it: the occasional huge tree (Ash), lots of fields, rolling hills, sheep, fields, sheep, dry-stone walls between fields, fields, oh, and did I mention the occasional sheep?

It's glorious... and at this time of year, practically deserted: most days, we met only three or four other walkers. This is our idea of a good holiday! Yesterday I heard that Cavendish had been up there training last week - drat, we missed him.


And if you lean way, way back from your screen, you can just see my ghostly reflection, taking the photo.

It was a super modernised barn, with underfloor heating ooooh, lovely.

Here's Itsy and Bitsy (or technically, Bitsy and Itsy as they are sitting the wrong way round)  hanging on to the Jaffa cakes for me.

TipTop!

FeeDee, they're asking if Hippi and Hoppi are out of the washing machine, yet?

More local news, tonight the sky caught fire outside the back of my house:


Dramatic, huh?

Best news of today, though, is that we have another Schlecklander, so welcome to Nimani, all we know so far is that Nimani loves Andy. Well, who wouldn't, he's adorable.  Oh, wait, are you "Nim" ? Leelu's Nim? If so, welcome with open arms and a big Schlecklander hug all round! If not, welcome anyway!

Cos that means I am allowed another photo of Unndy! (With thanks to Mr Kemp at photo.lu for permission.)



Aaaaaaw....! You're Our Boy!

22 comments:

  1. I'm very upset that Markee boy crashed. :( Expect woe on my LJ tonight honey. M60 was VERY windy as I was on it on Friday night and my little VW nearly got blown away.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Tiz, we were flabbergasted, poor Cav, and he had the new aerodynamic face fungus as well! I'm just so enraged that there's no footage of it. One minute we were watching the previous guy roll in past the spectator, next thing there was Cav with big 'oles in his lycra.

    Take care on that M60!!!! Put some sandbags in the boot - er, the front - to weigh you down!

    Coug

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, and hey! More Schlecklanders!

    Welcome Marleen, glad that you joined us, and hello to Emily B (you sound a bit like a four-mast schooner... or possibly a rap artist)

    Do feel free to say "hi", guys,

    Coug

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think Fabian is wearing his Qatar winner's shirt from last year or maybe the equivalent of the green jersey. Let's wait what he'll be wearing tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fabian was wearing the 'silver' points jersey for Stage 1 of Qatar. And yes, that's "my Nim" :) I told everyone who reads my blog that they must come follow yours. Purely selfish of course - I just want to see more pictures of Andy ;P

    Race updates: Wagner and Nizzolo came 8th and 9th in the second stage, respectively. Andy waltzed in 30 seconds behind the leader. Fabian is 3rd overall in Qatar.

    Leelu

    ReplyDelete
  6. No No No girls- Fabian and the short shorts :)

    Hah Coug- I'll try to procure some sandbags, god knows where everyone has probably had the same idea- don't know what it is like with you but lampposts are wobbling here.

    The gospel according to miss elizabeth has decided that Cav will win sometime this week. :( I found some pictures of beard which didn't look that bad, well not after I have got over the initial shock anyway

    Eli x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Eli,

    "Fabian and the short shorts"? Interesting mental image... although don't you think it sounds slightly like a 50s doo-wop band?

    I liked Cav with his little goatee, I have to say: I didn't see him with the hairy sideburns, though - I don't think I would have liked that.

    As you know, I can't make my mind up about Cav: one minute he's a whiney brat, the next minute he's mature and sensible, giving all the credit to his team. But I was very sorry to see him with his shorts all ripped to shreds at Qatar, not least because no-one else fell off.

    @Barbara, Leelu, thank you ladies, I didn't know about the silver jersey. I haven't ever seen this race before! I also admit that I'm having a hard time keeping up with all the different jerseys - it's bad enough having to learn all the new team kits, then they throw all these "prize" jerseys on.

    Leelu, yay! Nim! And thank you very much for encouraging your bloggers to come here - I have just checked my stats, and 23 of them came here for a look in the last 24 hours!! Fantastic!

    Welcome to Barbara Noob (another Barbara, or is that you?) and Figbash, great name! do please feel free to add comments if you wish.

    Right, I'mm off to work, see you all later,

    Coug

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hahahaha, CG, weren't you supposed to be a "Recovering Andyholic"? I don't see much progress, here ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Peak District seems such a lovely, calm and relaxing place! It must be great to have a holiday there :)

    Oh, smiling Andy! Too much cuteness in just one picture ;)

    Hippo and Hippi would like to tell Itsy and Bitsy that they've just ended their Tour of the Washing Machine and that they send them a lot of hugs. Moreover, they ask if they can have a little Jaffa cake (they'll send Itsy and Bitsy some cookies in change) ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes!!!! I'm a follower now. Thanks ladies for your kind advices. It finally worked. Although I couldn't remove the "noob" thing, I'm still the old Barbara.
    @Fede in a few days I'll try to follow your blog too :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Marie - shhhhhh, I didn't think anyone noticed that I slipped a photo in there......

    You must all go over to Mis Fede's blog at http://fede-myblog92.blogspot.com/ to see pics of the hippo slippers - they're great! So clean!

    And hello to Anne, lovely of you to join us!

    No time for more, I'm in a mad rush...

    Coug

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hello again, nice that you´re back!!I am a feeling a little stupid when i hummingal on a song with a cat,hmm,hug Lotte(UNFORTUNATELY not the Lotte who has kissed with acertain verybeautiful bike rider,
    sorry for my bad english,,,

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hello Lotte, nice to hear from you again! Your bad english is not so bad.... don't worry. We are still all very sorry that you are not the Lotte who did the kissing, but who knows, one day you might get a chance?

    For your information, I sing the song with the cat all the time, and sometimes I even sing in a funny high-pitched voice, like the cat does..... I have no shame. Lovely Lovely Boyfriend thinks I am completely bonkers. You think he would already have known that!

    Lalouque, hello and welcome to Schleckland, I have no idea where you are from, but thank you for joining, and do feel free to make comments if you wish.

    Coug

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hello Mrs

    Sorry I have been stuck in track obsession for the last few days. And Fabian and the short shorts doesn't get filmed nearly enough by the cameras in Qatar. Hoping for better in Oman.

    I just adore Cav and it is very hard defending him against fiance, who like Thor but just because I don't.

    Still very windy here, but then again it's grin oop north...

    And also @Lotte- Your english is good, honestly. I'm english *shudders* and not many english people understand me so you're doing lots of things right :)

    Eli x

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hey Eli (I'll start calling you Madam if you don't stop calling me Missus!)

    Hang on, I've been watching Qatar and I haven't seen Fabian in any short shorts, just the usual black ones with blue Hold-up elastic. Am I missing something?

    Poor Cav, he's a misunderstood bunny.... I'm still trying to get hold of a copy of his book from a charity shop (not prepared to pay money for it, ha! ha!) to hear his side of his story. Have to admit that if his trip to the Peak District had coincided with ours, then yes, I would have said "hello" to him.

    So, it's "grin" oop north, is it? (*grins widely*) Yeah, I know you meant "grim" really!

    Coug

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hah- It's a northern thing. (Did I not tell you my fiance wears a flat cap and smokes woodbines. No sorry, only joking, x)

    Last year in Qatar/Oman it was very hot and there is a picture floating round on the net with him sans jersey, bibs down and shorts rolled up applying sunscreen.

    Erm.. I have the first edition and the paperback edit where he's broken up with Melissa. Try Amazon they'll have it cheap.

    Ah yes, I was at work posting that- and no we don't do a lot of grinning.

    E x

    ReplyDelete
  17. Now THAT is a nice photo of Andy!

    I hope you realise every time I see Fabian alongside a team car in future I'll be imagining him saying "Come on, le'ss go home, le'ss go home!" Hahaha!

    I like Cav! I met him away from the cycling 'scene' and he was fab. I can understand why he sometimes rubs people up the wrong way (ooer) though.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Incidently, speaking of cycling & England have you seen the Olympic race route and how they missed a golden opportunity to cross the M25 over your favourite stubby pencil bridge?!

    ReplyDelete
  19. What!! They're missing my pencil bridge!!! (*breaks down and sobs in memory of a lovely post about wonderful bridges, hmm, must check out the Howald Tunnel webcam tomorrow...*)

    I shall complain immediately.

    Wow, you met Cav (*impressed*). What is the protocol on such occasions - do you catch his eye and say "excuse me Mr Cavendish..." or did you fall drunkenly into his lap, shouting "Cav, baby, gi'us a kiss!" No, ignore that last bit, naughty of me! ...Or did you say "hello Mark"?

    I mean, we all know his name, but it seems a bit forward to say "Mark" and a bit stilted to say "Mr Cavendish".

    I'd love to know ....

    Coug
    (*huffs "huh! They're missing my bridge!" *)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Haha! Luckily for me it was a kind of work situation and there was a third party to make the introductions so I didn't have to make the first move. (I've been lucky enough to meet a few riders over the years).

    If I just happened to see one of my faves away from "cycling duty" I'm not sure I'd approach them. I really wouldn't know what to say! Has it ever happened to anyone here?

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi Hi this is Leelu's Nim ;) hehe, yeap she let everyone over on tumblr land know about your blog and well, when I saw it and it was dedicated to, the one the only Andy Schleck- it was a pretty easy decision-FOLLOW STRAIGHT AWAY :). I love your blog entries, they always put a smile on my face. I guess you can tell I LOVE Andy, especially his gorgeous lips (along with Em, who loves those lips as well:P). So ive finally got around to saying my official hello, will be waiting eagerly for your next post xx
    x

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hey Nim, glad to hear from you! And I'm very happy to be putting a smile on your lips, I will try to do so on a regular basis!

    Talking of which, isn't it funny that Andy and Frankie look so similar, but Frankie has a rounded nose whereas Andy's is nice and straight (with handy sunglasses notch) and Andy has much fuller lips than Frankie.

    I always think of that when you see them talking: (no, on videos, not personally, huh, I should be so lucky) Frankie always looks as though he has only just enough mouth to get his words out, whereas Andy, bless him, has a nice generous mouth.

    And I love the way he puffs his cheeks out when speaking English or French! Not that I spend a long time watching him talking, nooo, of course not...

    Anyway, welcome to Schleckland, feel free to chip in whenever you want to!

    Coug

    ReplyDelete