Wednesday 16 February 2011

Podium Outfits.... yum!

Hey Fangirls (and guys), I meant to make rude comments about this before, but I forgot: Tour Down Under (who is that sniggering? Leelu? Susanne? So many Bad Girls to choose from... and that was before Kara came back!!) what were they wearing???


No, not the cyclists, the Podium girls.

French maid outfits?

Something from La Senza via Disney?  (La Senza sell, er, tasteful lingerie in all colours from red, to black, including red and black. Lovely Lovely boyfriend bought me a pair of zebra-striped pyjamas from them once, and ever since then, they keep emailing him with pictures of girls in underwear. He's tried and tried to get them to stop, but he can't seem to get off their mailing list (*puzzled face*).)

I remember reading Podium Jen's thoughts on the horrendous Tour de France polka dot dress/lampshade outfit, so I know that the girls have no choice but to wear them. But honestly! Who dreams up these outfits?


The Tour of Qatar had much more subtle and tasteful outfits for their sole Podium Girl, but I do feel it's a bit of a shame they couldn't find a prettier girl.

Oh, yes, I know that different cultures have different ideas of beauty, but the beard?

Well done to Barbie Barbie, by the way, and in case you missed it, a dedicated and clever fan has made a whole series of The Adventures of Barbie Barbie , even featuring a How I Did It page which makes me realise the lengths that some people will go to in dedication to their hobbies. Perhaps I could spend just a little bit more time looking for new pictures of Andy researching for this blog...

...talking of which, another follower, yay! well done Kara, so I've decided to allow myself just one more photo of Our Glorious Leader, as you liked the last one so much:



Is it me, or did the sun just come out?

Oh, and as for Contador? Sick of the whole thing, nothing to say. Apart from wondering if Unndy is now saying "Phew! He didn't lie to me! I did the right thing in sticking by him!" or whether he is going to wait to see if the UCI are going to appeal, or not, before thinking "told you so" to all the critics.

11 comments:

  1. What on earth are you talking about Coug?! Those podium dresses reflect our sophistication and sense of style... Much like our Miss World Australia dress: http://resources0.news.com.au/images/2010/07/29/1225898/338800-jesinta-campbell.jpg :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lee,

    Your link doesn't work for me. I only found something about Uggs. But I can imagine that it sometimes (depending on the rider) would be very amusing to see some sturdy, large, overweight, older etc. podium girls in boots and jeans giving kisses to the winner...

    ReplyDelete
  3. well... she is wearing ugg boots ;)

    Leelu

    ReplyDelete
  4. LMAO!

    ROFL!!

    Hoots hysterically!!

    I want to see that on the podium!!! Hell, I think I even want to be a podium girl, if I'd get to wear a frock like that!!

    Coug

    PS Barbara, I don't wear jeans (no really, not ever) but I certainly qualify as Sturdy and Older, so I can go up on the podium and give out kisses? Should be safe, Conti only came 28th yesterday...

    ReplyDelete
  5. (For anyone who can't follow the link - you poor things, you don't know what you're missing - think Princess Leia (on the barge) doing Flamenco, with added Ghengis Khan fur-edged shoulder spikes.) (And Ugg boots, which are nothing more than bags of fabric with soles: no style, no structure, and the wearer's feet push them out of shape within days. Can't imagine what the kids see in them. They even come in a knitted version with - brace yourselves - buttons, ugh! Oh (*light bulb above head*) so that's why they're called Ugg boots, duh.)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I personally liked the polka dot dresses, they were fun :) Overall though I think the podium dresses are not very flattering. Those wishing to be a podium girl keep in mind they are not supposed to fraternize with the riders. (Although George Hincapie's wife is a former podium girl...)

    ReplyDelete
  7. OOOh oooh, but what about Podium Jen and Steve Cummings? Huh? And, and, er, I'm sure there was another one, wasn't there that rumour about Unndy and one of us Fangirls - or was that me day-dreaming again? Oh, that was just me....

    Actually, Emily, I agree, I found the polka dot dress/vase things quite funny, and actually they are nipped in quite nicely at the waist. I just wouldn't want to wear one myself. Actually I'm fibbing, I probably would wear one!

    Coug

    ReplyDelete
  8. Podium Jen and Steve Cummings? She's got around a bit. Wonder what Steven Cozza thinks of that?!

    I'm pretty sure Christophe Moreau married a podium girl too.

    Wonder how they enforce this no fraternisation rule? Do they knock on hotel doors at 6AM like the doping testers?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Maybe they knock only on doors when the doping testers won't. Up till now that would be between 11 PM - 6 AM

    ReplyDelete
  10. I wonder if the podium girls get to keep their outfits. I'm sure those King of the Mountains dresses would come in useful for something, someday?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oops! Of course, Steve Cozza, not Cummings, my mistake, sorry everyone.

    Kara, I am sure you are right (about the polka dot dresses having a use post-race) but I can't for the life of me think of one...

    Coug

    ReplyDelete