Sunday 3 June 2012

Is it me, or is cycling getting nasty?

Over the past few weeks, we have all raised our eyebrows at the appalling lack of management skills of Mr Bruyneel, who has been criticising his riders - in particular Andy and Frankie - for their lack of performance.

I don't need to run through the details again, but he made himself very plain, *bites tongue to resist obvious joke* not privately, but in the media. He even defended his decision to make these comments public. We all had our own views on How To Manage A Cycling Team,  but we all agreed that telling riders off in public, threatening them with loss of trainers, loss of Tour places etc was not the way to motivate them.

He even suggested that Frankie was lying about his shoulder injury, the one that forced him to withdraw from the Giro, the race he'd be thrown into at five days' notice, with no proper preparation. And yet Frankie was perceptibly improving: he had done everything right - taking it easy for the first week, staying safely in the peloton out of trouble, not losing any time, getting his race legs on: he was finishing in the top 12 or 10, was it, which shows that he was indeed coming back into form, so why on earth would he want to throw all that "just because" or "just to show Mr Bruyneel that he couldn't be bossed about."  I just don't believe that a professional athlete would do that.

I strongly believe that a top athlete could easily suffer from lack of confidence and therefore poor performance if he is demotivated, depressed and generally unhappy, as I have said before. But not that the athlete would deliberately drop out of a race for no good reason.

But Mr Bruyneel saw fit to criticise the whole team (except Fabu) and to tell the media that none of them had a place at the Tour guaranteed. Not even the bloke who is a consistent Top Two finisher.

Then, a couple of days ago, we get this charming little piece of criticism from the boss of Androni, talking about Rujano (who I think is a Ferengi in his spare time) who also dropped out of the Giro: "It's a good thing his contract ends this season", he told reporters at the Giro, "there are no second chances".  Well, yar boo sucks to you, matey, it turns out that Rujano has mononucleosis, or Glandular Fever as it used to be known.

Now we get this news article about Stijn Devolder, in which his manager says "Based on the results we cannot possibly be satisfied" and goes on to say "And for that reason he might not qualify for the Tour.."

What is going one?

Why are team managers suddenly of the opinion that telling the press how unhappy they are with the performance of riders is acceptable?

What happened to "not washing your dirty linen in public"? (Old English expression, meaning that one should not air one's differences in front of other people, one should sort them out in private then tell the world once an agreement has been reached.)

How can it possibly help, in any given situation, to tell the press about it before discussing it with your rider?

How can any team manager come out of this well Do they seriously think that they will get sympathy from us, the fans? Do they fondly imagine that we are reading what they say and thinking "ah, poor man, those beastly riders are just not trying hard enough" and that we will then stand by the route shouting "Frankie? Put your back into it, you lazy lump, and do what that nice Mr Bruyneel tells you to."

If they do, then News Flash: you are presenting yourselves as bullies, trying to use the power (?) of the press to oppress your riders, trying to get public opinion on your side, as you have clearly failed to influence these riders using your own personality and management skills.

Please stop: let's go back to proper management, kept within the team.

Thank you.

8 comments:

  1. Oooh! This was interesting! You ROCK Andy! This is a piece of why I will always like this guy! He is HONEST and Forthright.
    http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/andy-schleck-has-a-dig-at-bruyneel-at-dauphine-prologue?ns_campaign=news&ns_mchannel=rss&ns_source=cyclingnews&ns_linkname=0&ns_fee=0

    Andy darlin...awesomeness!

    Big ride today in Boulder for Davis Phinney Foundation. Taylor riding. Timmy Duggan also. Was hoping to go be an "oggler" - but a job ($) got in the way (and on a Sunday too!) No days off in America anymore if an opportunity should arise. Hope it was successful!

    So happy for the RSNT riders for Lux!

    BE

    ReplyDelete
  2. In most sports, when a team is underperforming, it is the manager who gets fired. Perhaps someone should mention this to Mr. Bruyneel.
    emjay

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Emjay. I've seen countless coaches get the sack when the team hasn't performed well. I've always been under the belief that good leaders accept responsibility for any failings of their team, just as they accept responsibility for any successes the team achieves. Sadly, it looks like we'll have another two years of Mr Bruyneel: http://www.velonation.com/News/ID/12025/Bruyneel-confirms-he-and-the-Schlecks-are-bound-to-the-same-team-for-two-and-a-half-years.aspx.

    Bris. Gal

    ReplyDelete
  4. OK..here's my thought...picture it:
    Johan and Schlecks discussion regarding 2012. Johan says he knows they'll be crap up until the TdF, and so instead of going with that - let's create some drama! Even "bad" press...is press! So, I'll spout off about how disappointed I am - you guys can each fire back (your fans will love it!) They'll hate me, and that's ok. You can abandon races and we'll watch the fans alternately hate and love you! You will gain in popularity even if you aren't winning races right now. And - this will encourage the other teams to think you are as worthless as I will say you are - and we will kick ass in TdF when least expected! And win! We're stuck for 2.5 yrs - lets have a go at this tactic. It is, after all - all about social media and the press, coverage and fans right now. Let's give them the drama that keeps us in the headlines if we aren't winning!

    Hummm Johan may be smarter than any of us are giving him credit for. One of the greatest skills is using your limitations or shortcomings to your advantage - rather than trying to "beat" them - at least in the short term - and that's all this is.

    I finally got to see Andy today in Dauphine. His form looks good. Looks better than I expected - short of one very slow corner...his face looked very strained - but.....I'm not sure it looked real to me. He had a very different expression when he ripped up the mountain last year - this looked like "forced pained expression"...and I know he could have taken that corner in a different way - I've seen him do that. So - In short (or long I guess) I think they are holding back. I think there is a plan. I don't think any of them are as non functional as we may think they are.

    OK - that's my story and I'm gonna just watch this unfold....

    BE

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting. I'm not sure about the dramatics part (I suspect that the rift is real) but do you remember the Tour de Suisse (was it last year?) when Andy appeared to be "playing" on the climb in the Queen's stage while riding for Frank? I had that deja vu moment while reading the race tweets this morning but then disregarded it and thought that if he annoys Bruyneel enough he'll miss the tour all together. I do take your point, that what is happening on the road may all be about tactics, seriously BE (especially because you do have an experienced eye for form and performance indicators). As a fan, I just find Garmin's approach to racing far more respectable.

      Also playing in the back of my mind as I voice my displeasure is that I wonder what the cycling world (and I) will be saying at the end of the Tour. More of the same or will I/we be applauding brilliantly executed tactics?

      Interesting indeed.
      Kat

      Delete
    2. Ellie, the same thing crossed my mind, but I'm still afraid it goes as well down to wishfull-thinking on our part.
      I believe everything and I don't believe anyone...
      Kat, you're right, let's us wait and see till the end of July.

      Barbara

      Delete
  5. And once again, Gold Star to Emjay for spotting the obvious point that I completely missed - sack the manager! yay!

    Unfortunately that seems to be the one and only contract that won't be broken - Mr Bruyneel is clinging on like a limpet, and has said today that he has tenure until 2014, so it does indeed look as though we are stuck with him.

    Drat!

    Coug

    ReplyDelete
  6. All I have to say is: "Well, yar boo sucks to you" and "Ferengi in his spare time" (is it geeky that I immediately thought of the words "gold pressed latinum"?) *laughs uproariously*

    ReplyDelete