Wednesday 2 May 2012

Cap'n Andy!

Just a thought - why does Luxembourg have a navy?  Or, to be more accurate, why does Luxembourg have an ensign, when it doesn't have a navy?

And why does Andy favour the ensign over the national flag?

What am I talking about?

OK, flags: in the UK we have what we have ALWAYS called the Union Jack (so don't listen to weirdos who try to tell you that it should be called the Union Flag, it has always been the Union Jack, and no-one will ever stop me calling it that.)

Here's the good old Union Jack, familiar to everyone the world over. Oh boy, I love being English!

It's a composite of three flags: we start with the St Andrew's cross of Scotland, which was blue with a white diagonal cross. On top of that goes the red diagonal St Patrick's cross of  Ireland, and on top of that goes the big red St George's cross of England.  Wales was already part of England at the time, so it doesn't get a "cross" of its own, and yes, the Welsh are probably "cross" about that.

It has a "right" way and a "wrong" way to be flown: the pic above shows the correct way, assuming the flag-pole is on the left. If in doubt (and if you actually care about this stuff), look at the white diagonal stripe where it meets the invisible flagpole on the left: it is fatter above the red diagonal, yes? Then that is correct.  Flying it upside down is a terrible sin in the UK, and will bring ridicule upon you.

Then we have our Navy flags: the most well-known being this little fella, the Red Ensign, which is flown by merchant ships, so it's seen quite a lot.

The other familiar one is the White Ensign, this chap on the left, and he is only flown by members of the Royal Navy *turns nose up snobbishly*, and as my father was in the Royal Navy, we were allowed to fly this one on his boat.

Yes, this could explain something about why I laughed so much at being called Captain Coug!

Anyway, are you all with me? Country flags are for general civil use, on land, and Ensign flags are for use on boats.

Now we turn to Luxembourg. We all know what we call the Lux flag, Andy's lovely light-blue-and-white stripey one, with the lion on it. As per my socks. But hang on, officially that's the Lux Ensign, not the Lux flag.

The Lux flag is this one, the less-than-exciting red white and blue stripes - although I have to say, on paper it sounds like a good colour combination, although the shade of blue is slightly odd: and of course the execution lets it down somewhat.

Also, it's a bit too close to too many other national flags.

No, this is the one that we associate with Andy: the Lux Ensign:


But why does he favour the Ensign, then? Was his daddy in the navy? Oh, hold on, Lux doesn't have a navy, on account of being what you might call land-locked. Although that is no excuse, Czechoslovakia (as it was) had a navy, and they only had a big lake.

What would the Lux Navy look like, I wonder? (right)

OK, I'm sniggering, but I put the phrase "Luxembourg navy" into google and looked at images, and this is what came up (below).

Honestly, no kidding, this collection is apparently the Luxembourg Navy. Well, in Paris it is. Presumably it's on a lake....




So there you have it, Andy favours the Lux Ensign - and who could blame him, it's a lot classier than the boring civil one - despite having no obvious connections to it. I'd be interested to hear from anyone who knows anything more on this topic.

And actually, I'd better promote Andy to Admiral, as I am already a Captain, and I think he'd probably be senior to me.

*pauses to think* Hang on, I bet I've been sailing more than he has. I was sailing before he was born, thinking about it... (started at a very, very early age). OK, we'll hold him at Captain for now, until we find out more about it.

And in the meantime, here's me, aboard the Schleckland Ship:

...and sharp-eyed viewers will spot that, as per the little figure above,  I now have very red hair! Although not, sadly, quite as red as it said on the box: although the sitting-around-with-hair-plastered-to-head stage was frighteningly bright orange, it dulled down over half an hour and, when dry, came out a very fetching but disappointingly subtle shade of dark red.Well, it's probably safer this way.

10 comments:

  1. The flag with the red lion on it is used in shipping and aviation to avoid confusion because the Lux flag with just the stripes looks a lot like the Dutch flag.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aha! So that's the reason!

    Er, but what ships, exactly, does a land-locked, harbour-less country actually have?

    I supppoe we'll let them off on the aviation side, as there's definitely an airport there - I have the web-cam footage to prove it!

    Coug

    ReplyDelete
  3. The flag question has also perplexed me, and with this prompting I did a bit of searching. All I can find is that the ensign is also used on aircraft and despite the fact there is no navy, boats (I think they're mostly pleasure craft) can use it. It seems the only purpose is to differentiate registered Lux planes and boats from those out of the Netherlands. Lots of places use it on signs, like the butcher shops and banks, probably for the same reason. Perhaps that is why he does too and because it's just more attractive. There's also the argument that the lion is from the coat of arms so the flag is more versatile.

    Then there's all the confusion about the multiple Luxembourgs around here. There's the Luxembourg region of Belgium and the Luxembourg Gardens in Paris (probably the home of that wee navy). If you say to someone from Belgium or Paris that you live in Luxembourg, they often don't think you're talking about the Grand Duchy.

    It's hard on the brain sometimes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You had me at Union Flag! AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The civil Lux flag looks very much alike the Dutch flag, only the Dutch blue is a bit darker. They don't share the same origin though, despite the fact that Luxembourg belonged to the Netherlands until the late 19th century.

    The Netherlands doesn't have an ensign, so the royal navy and all other boats use the civil vlag. When inland shipping increased, Dutch flags and Lux flags were often confused and that's when the Lux ensign was being used on Lux boats.

    There even have been official proposals in Lux to make the ensign into the civil flag, as the civil flag looks so much like the Dutch one, but thus far those proposals have been turned down by the government.

    So I think it's most likely used at cycling events (or any event) to differentiate from Dutch flags, which might come in very handy on stages such as to Alpe d'Huez. ;-)

    Inge

    ReplyDelete
  6. Coug, I suspect that the relationship Lux has with shipping is from the business financial and tax perspective which results in some ships being registered under the Lux flag.

    Interesting post. :)
    Kat

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very interesting. Thanks for the info. I wondered what the 2 Lux flags meant.
    And I always wondered what indicated right side up for the Union Jack. We always referred to it as the Union Jack too, when I was a kid and you saw a lot of them in Canada. The Red Ensign with a crest in the lower right quarter was our flag, until 1965 or so when we got our maple leaf flag.I think I have my facts right!
    emjay

    ReplyDelete
  8. The symbol of the red lion (De Roude Léiw) seems to be very important to the Lux people, but I don't think they have red lions in the country :). Maybe they only want to say ggrrrrrrrrrrrr and roar.

    Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  9. I had no idea that there was such a thing as ensigns. Nor did I know about the right-side up of the Union Jack (which is absolutely one of the coolest flags around). OR that there was a Luxembourg region in Belgium (I've been to the gardens in Paris where I loved watched the tennis players on the red clay courts). Thanks all!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Aha ha neighing! We are sooo much more than mere fangirls......

    Coug

    ReplyDelete