Wednesday 9 May 2012

Transfer News: Early Predictions

There's been a bit of a stink in the cycling news this week (apart from the ongoing Ferrari + ditch = "serves him right"): Roberto Armadio, Team Manager, announced that Vincenzo Nibali would be leaving Liquigas at the end of the season.

He was quoted as saying that Liquigas "offered him a large contract, but has not received a response, and says that this means he will not return. Our offer was made (1.8 million Euros per year), we gave the boy time to properly evaluate our proposal, but we have not received any response. For us the matter is closed.”

Now this made me wonder if they had sent him the "large contract" through the post, or perhaps by courier, but that Nibali hadn't actually seen it. I mean, if you've been with a team for a while, you're doing well for them, they send you a contract - well, even if you want to get out, you'd still respond to it, wouldn't you? You wouldn't just ignore it.

In which case, imagine his horror on reading it in the cycling news that morning.

"Contract? What contract?" he calls out to his wife. (I have no idea if Mr Nibali has a Mrs Nibali, but for the sake of this post, we will assume that he has.)

"Amore Mio? Have you seen a large envelope for me, in the last few days?"  *frantic searching sounds*

Mrs Nibali responds : "No, kara - maybe it was mis-filed by the cleaner?"

"Maria! Mariiiiaaaaa! What have you done with the post?"

"Scusi Signor, post? What post?"

"Big envelope, Maria," *gestures with hands* "with team name on it?"

"Ah! Yes, Signor, on hall-stand with all the others!"

Nibali rushes off to the hall-stand, frantic scuffing sounds as though digging through huge pile of fan-mail...

The next day, we get a new report: Oh, no, says Liquigas's management, we have never even discussed a move.  Nibali's manager chips in to say that even if they were going to talk about it, they would not do so *pious look* until 1st August, the start of the transfer season.

How interesting. Presumably Mr Armadio is now either packing his bags, or grovelling to the boss about how didn't mean to blab to the news reporter, and he was very sorry, and please could he have another chance?

So for the rest of the season, Nibali's team will be looking sideways at him, and every time he talks to another rider in the peloton, other riders will sidle over to him, to try to overhear what's going on.

Which leads on to my early predictions for the end-of-season transfers.

And, predictably, I am mostly interested in OGL and his cohorts. We all know our brave Leopards are not happy about being the subject of a hostile takeover by Mr Bruyneel. And they have learned that sponsors are buggers (that is a technical term) who cannot be trusted, and that it's  not an easy job being the team manager and having to deal with them.

So, perhaps they will make a mass departure from Radioshack, and will go back to SaxoBank?

This is not as outrageous as it sounds: they have all had time to appreciate each other. Bjarne would be grovellingly grateful to get them back, and would have to acknowledge that they are all grown-ups now, who will not be dictated to. No more boot camps! I think he's learned that lesson....  And as for the riders, they would be grovellingly grateful to get back to some sensible team management and realistic expectations, and would have a deep and lasting understanding that sponsors are not easy to deal with, and that Bjarne is actually very, very good at dealing with them: I can't imagine another team manager who would keep a "wobbling" sponsor on board when his one-and-only, "we'll sponsor you if you get him" guy gets banned for a drug offence.

There does seem to be a trickle of suggestions that Jakob is seriously considering going back:and if he can, well, why not the rest of the Leopards?

Bjarne would regain UCI points and be able to continue at Pro-Team level with no problems: I am assuming, of course, that SaxoBank the sponsor don't throw another wobbler -but that is a bit unlikely, after all this time, I think. And I am sure that he would be/has been working hard in the background to line up another sponsor, just in case.

And what of Contador? Well, with no UCI points for two years, you could say that he's not a lot of use to a pro-team. Bjarne and Saxo have stuck by him amazingly, but can he really expect them to fund him for another 2 years with no points? Perhaps he'd be better moving to another team: this would also remove the awkwardness between him and the returning Leopard boys.

Mind you, I say that, but what awkwardness, really? Conti and Andy used to be very good friends. If they were working together, I can see them dominating the podium for any race they were both in. Of course, there might be problems with both of them wanting to do the Tour: I'd leave Bjarne to sort that one out.

Could Bjarne afford to keep Conti - rumoured at the time he joined SaxoBank to be one of the most expensive contracts - as well as to buy the Leopards back?  Logically, Conti's

And of course he's not a complete right-off as far as points go: although he can't earn any UCI points for finishing, he CAN earn what I call "kudos points" for the team: this is the other half of the UCI calculations as to who becomes a Pro-Team and who doesn't - they don't just work it out on the straightforward UCI points gained for wins, it's also based on the number of times a team has held the jersey, the number of times they have held on to it, the number of times they have regained it: combatative rider points, etc. He could still be an asset.

So far, Conti is suggesting that he'd be happy to go back to SaxoBank, but if he didn't - well, any Spanish team would no doubt snap him up like that *snaps fingers* and for that matter, even RadioShack might be interested, if the Leopards all jump ship. If they do, the Shack is going to be - again - full of sponsors but lacking in riders, so maybe he could go there: he's worked with Mr Bruyneel before, I am sure he can do it again.  *pulls dubious face*

Right, problem solved. Leopards; best paw forward, quick march!

No, it's not that simple, of course: but it's going to be very interesting to see what develops later in the year.

7 comments:

  1. The switches will certainly be most interesting. I think the TdF will show us, one way or the other, if Leopards will remain with Shack.

    I do like Bjarne much more than Johan......

    As to the Giro today. Heartbroken for Taylor. He is so sad feeling he's disappointed BMC. And he is so graceful about stage 3. He could really be a bugger about it all. Ferrari basicly screwed Taylor big time. Then again, "that's racin"......and Tay is young. I am sensitive to this as I wracked my foot in 2007, and after a month it looked about like Taylor's foot today. I was in a boot for 4 months. AND it still bothers me to this day. so, I hope he doesn't have long term damage. Foot injuries, ankle injuries....they can be debilitating. I hope Ferrari's actions haven't cost this young man his career. More needs to be tossed than bidons in my view. Then again, I am not a rider.
    BE

    ReplyDelete
  2. Strange, I do like Johan much more than BR. Why? Difficult to explain, must have to do with the look in their eyes.
    If I imagine myself sitting quietely in a nice park and JB (not knowing who he was) should come and sit beside me I would like to have a nice chat with him, share some cookies and have a little laugh.
    If BR (also not knowing who he was) should come and also sit beside me, I would feel very nervous and anxious to find a very plausible excuse to go away as fast as possible.

    About Saxo bank I only want to remark that they weren't interested in sponsoring the team any longer in 2010 till Conti was signed.
    Ohh banks are so nice and doing their best for the people. I really should love them and give them my support and especially my money.

    Barbara.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Huh, if I were sitting on a park bench and either of them came and sat down, I would run a mile! Bjarne, because he (sorry, Mr Riis) looks a bit scary, and Mr Bruyneel because he is incredibly opinionated, full of himself, and egotistical, and I cannot imagine having any sort of conversation other than one dominated entirely by him, and I certainly can't imagine there being any laughing in it!

    Barbara, you are quite right about SaxoBank and their sponsorship: that was exactly my point. Bjarne was on the verge of losing his sponsor, he had lost a third of his team (and let's be honest, all the good ones) and yet he still managed to get a star rider to come and ride for him, he got that sponsor back on board, and even got them to stick with him when the star rider was done for doping.

    Like him or not, that was an impressive performance.

    Coug

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bjarne used to really bother me too. I sort of felt (sorry Bjarne) a kind of pedophile energy. Maybe it was all the the romancing recruitment of young boys? And the measured "calming" vocal tones?

    Johan on the other hand - is someone I don't believe you can have a real conversation with.
    Most management are narcissists...frustrated ones too. Then again, so are many, many riders (which is what makes them good at what they do - if only to protect their image of how good they must feel about themselves in order to win.)

    Ah....the mind......such an amazing place.

    BE

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad I'm not the only one who gets the creeps of a certain person...

    About Saxo bank I meant that they anounced to stop the sponsoring before the riders made public that there would be Leopard. If I remember correctly it was even a great part of the motivation to form the new team.
    Whatever, the truth is out there.... somewhere.

    Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really can't see Bjarne taking the Schlecks or Cancellara back. That said, I guess none of us really know what will happen. Jakob is lucky that Bajrne considers taking him back, given his comments around the time of his leaving Saxo didn't go down too well with both the (Danish) public and I'm assuming, Bjarne. But I do REALLY hope Jakob goes back to Saxo. I feel like there's been a pause in the development of a lot of the riders who did go to LT, including Andy and Jakob. You can see it in the riders who left LT at the end of last year. For example, Anders Lund has really been going great-guns since his return to Saxo and Will Clarke had a great start to the season with the Australian Nationals and the TDU!

    I think Contador will definitely go back to Saxo. And Bjarne is going to fight hard for his points to count towards their application for a licence for next year. I hope for the TEAM's sake that he is successful, because I think they still deserve to be pro. (Meanwhile I hope everyone is pleasantly surprised by how well they've done so far in the Giro without any "big name"!);)

    Lastly, I think because I've seen BR probably a bit more relaxed that what we see on tv (in person, in his hometown environment), he's not that scary to me. On the other hand, I'd probably punch JB in the eye... he looks so smug and sleazy!

    Leelu

    ReplyDelete
  7. I forgot to say, I think it will certainly be interesting to see who goes where and what happens since the Schlecks signed a 4 year contract with LT... and presumably that contract still holds with RSNT?

    Leelu

    ReplyDelete