Tuesday 6 March 2012

Paris-Nice

Well, shock horror for me, I am waiting in for someone to come and collect some stuff, thought I'd fill the time with a quick Blog post, and was just looking for a pic of OGL storming around the TT course, only to be greeted on the RadioShack site with the news that he's withdrawn from the race with gastric problems.

*shoulders slump dejectedly*  We've waited so long to see him race again....

Oh well, never mind, what are my thoughts on the race so far? Well, LLB and I have only watched Stage 1, the not-quite-a-prologue individual TT. By the way, did you know that to be called a Prologue, it has to be 8km or less? This one was 9.5km, apparently, which is why it has been called Stage 1. There, don't say I never tell you anything.

Right, the Time Trial.  Lots and lots of TV coverage on Eurosport for us, so Yay! for Eurosport. Much better coverage than in the Tour of Quatar, where they showed the riders bracing up to leave the ramp - leaving the ramp - and then on to the next one waiting on the ramp. We didn't see any of the racing at all, and not all of the finishes! Bizarre....

Anyway, we saw lots of riders coming off the ramp, we critiqued their style (as you do) until finally, Andy! Andy! I nearly didn't recognise him in the silly TT button-mushroom hat. Is his face filling out a little bit? Or is it where those wisdom teeth were removed? No, that would make his face narrower, not wider, wouldn't it?

(Pause for Figgy to make allegations about there not really being any wisdom tooth removal during that untimely but imperative dental operation. There, feel better? Good, then we will continue.)

Andy did a storming take-off from the ramp, he showed real determination. Luckily he couldn't hear the somewhat sarcastic commentary from David Harmon, who referred to him as "Andy Schleck, the famous non-time-triallist". Well, actually, MISTER Harmon *sneer in voice* he had a nice position, he was looking good, he was taking the corners well, his lines were good, so there.

Eleven minutes later: oh dear. One minute down on an 11-minute TT is not very good. Nor is coming 103rd (at the time) out of 180 or so riders.  Oh well, it's early in the season - and at least he got a huge amount of screen time! Luckily the other riders on the road were not particularly interesting, if they will forgive me for saying so, so it was Andy, Andy, Andy nearly all the way. Sadly, a lot of it was helicopter shots, but at least that way we could see that he has indeed improved his road lines, and was showing a much smoother course.

Frankie had his turn a little later, and guess what! He came in within 7 seconds of Andy's time, putting him (at that time) 102nd.

Now, this pleases me hugely: it proves that neither of them have been on drugs over the winter, neither of them have been subject to any torture or "special fitness" regimes from Mr Bruyneel: if either or both of them had shown a greatly improved performance, don't you think that Things would have been Said? No, the season is still young, I am happy with their performances.

In the meantime, Bradley Wiggins of Sky (my second team) did a storming performance to come second, just barely missing the top slot - but he went round in the rain! Nice one, Wiggo. We are allowed to call  him that - you might have heard me praising Sky's decision to put the rider name on the side of the jersey, oriented so that we can read it when they are riding. Here's a quick montage so that you know that I am not kidding:


...and if you look again,you can see that Wiggins' suit says WIGGO, with the O being in Union Jack colours of red, white and blue.  So that proves that we are allowed to call him Wiggo. Just thought you'd like to know that.

At the end of the TT, we had Irizar in 8th position, so at least one Radioshack rider in the top 10, that's a good start.

Had to laugh at the podium experience: not quite as slick as some other, larger races... Gustav Larsson won, (beating Bradley by just one second: have to rub that in a little!) so he went up on the podium to collect his stage winner's award of a tasteful transparent plastic medallion. Lovely. The solitary podium girl managed to give him the flowers, and the obligatory kisses. Kiss! Kiss! Turn away - oh, you wanted a third kiss? Ok, Kiss! No, not awkward at all, really. No-one noticed.

She then held her hand out behind her back and was handed the yellow stuffed lion thing. (Momentary pause - we're not in TdF yet, are we? Oh, same jersey sponsor. That's all right, then.) She started to bring the stuffed toy out to give to him. But wait! He's not wearing the yellow jersey yet! Oh no, panic! She hides the lion behind her bag, waving it frantically at her colleague, while maintaining a fixed lovely smile, until it was taken from her hand and whisked away until Larsson re-appeared to collect the yellow jersey.

I love moments like that. They just make me laugh and laugh. Not to mention the podium outfit of, er, cream coloured slacks: and an anorak. Nice. (NB use of the word "slacks" is deliberate and malicious: it implies that the leg-wear in question is frumpily out of date, possibly from the late 50s or early 60s, and is probably made of crimplene

So, that was the first day, then. Today, Stage 4, we hear that Andy has had to retire due to an unseemly but imperative stomach disorder, which is such a shame. Never mind, I will continue to cheer for the rest of the boys, and for Sky, and for one or two particular "pets" I  may have among the other riders. Like Barbie Barbie - the confusingly named Australian, Heinrich Hausler; Egor Anton, my favourite Carrot (Euskaltel); and of course, Bum-fluff himself, TJ Van Garderen.

15 comments:

  1. Humm...they are calling today's stage in Paris-Nice Stage 3...

    Removing wisdom teeth can actually widen the jaw because of the "closer clench" after removal - yes, I have seen that his face is changing. He's also growing up.

    I'm sad he's out - but he is very clear that this race wasn't any goal. Sure is getting a rough rap though.

    I just keep telling people he is keeping his talents and improvements close to his chest. No rider wants to go through what Fabu went through when no one would let him get an inch and all eyes on him. Better to be a shadow right now.

    BE

    ReplyDelete
  2. That stomach bug must be flying around at Paris-Nice! This morning, Bakelandts, Posthuma and Phinney are out as well :(

    Nice to read you report on Andy's TT, a huge relief after reading all the bashing on other sites. Of course his time wasn't that good, but it seems to me as though he has improved his skills. He's not wobbling anymore, his shoulders have broadened and as you said, his road lines are much better.

    Wiggo really did great. If it hadn't been raining, he might have won by 20 secs.

    Inge

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Inge,

    Oh dear, more riders retiring with the stomach bug? It does seem to be quite a common problem, doesn't it? I suspect that maintaining your body ("one's body" that is) at such a high peak of fitness and such a low amount of body fat must make it harder to fight off these infections and ailments.

    Good to know that staying unfit and a bit overweight is actually improving my general fitness levels, isn't it? *laughs*

    And yes, I really thought that Andy's bike position and road positioning were much improved. LLB said the same, and he doesn't even like "that Andy bloke" as he calls him!

    Having watched a large number of the earlier riders, some of which were good TTers, we were in quite a good position to make those comments, I thought: we could compare Andy's road positioning in particular, with other riders - and then shortly afterwards, with the top TTers. And in my opinion, he was shaving the corners as he should, he was not wasting time and energy weaving from one side of the road to the other, other than when lining up for the next bend.

    And I agree, he was not wobbling in himself, and his head position was better, with less ducking of the head: although I do think that RadioSchack ought to change to rounded smurf helmets, as Sky have.

    I did see one criticism of his position, a photo which was - I think - posted on Twitter by Greg Henderson, it showed Andypants and Bradley with coloured lines illustrating their spine positions.

    Brad's back was parallel with the ground, very much "Russian academy" style, and yes, you could have "eaten your tea off his back" it was that flat. Andy's, by comparison, was no-where near as flat. We are not all built the same. Andy is doing the best he can with the spine that he has!

    And as we all know - don't we, Schlecklanders - he has one leg half an inch shorter than the other, and (like Frankie)he can't even touch his toes. There is only so far you can bend him!

    (Chorus of "Hand him over, we'll see how bendy he is!" from certain Schlecklander elements. I will ignore it.)

    So overall, yes, I am happy with his performance, and Frankie's too: as mentioned, I would be quite unhappy to see a major improvement by either of them, as it might be seen as suspicious. Let's hope they continue to improve gradually throughout this season.

    And yes, Wiggo would have been a dramatically stronger winner, had it stayed dry!

    Coug

    ReplyDelete
  4. PS of Andy's withdrawal "This morning Andy felt better, but in the bus he got stomach problems and high temperature again."

    Spare a thought for everyone else in the bus at the time... and whoever had to clean up afterwards!

    Coug

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hadn't thought of that yet, but it must have been quite smelly on the bus indeed...

    I've seen that picture too, and it seems to me as though Andy's upper arms are much longer than his forearms. I can only imagine that making it impossible for him to get into that aerodynamic position like guys like Wiggo or Leipheimer can. And he really is tall, so that won't help as well.

    And I agree, it would have been very strange if he'd suddenly finished in the top 10. Moreover it's only March. He will never be like Fabian in the TT, but he has showed several times he can finish top 20. (and he has other qualities, like his climbing)

    Inge

    ReplyDelete
  6. lol ... "(Chorus of "Hand him over, we'll see how bendy he is!" from certain Schlecklander elements. I will ignore it.)" This is just classic Schlecklander blog commentary!

    And how could I have been a fan since 2008 and not know that OGL could not touch his toes and has one leg a half inch longer than the other??!! Because I didn't know about Schleckland back then. I'm such a newbie! ;)

    Kat

    ReplyDelete
  7. Actually, most people have leg length differences. Just like very few people have identical halves (sides) of faces.....

    But...sure looks like there is tension in his (OGL's) hips and pelvis, it will inhibit the "flat back" goal...so it is certainly something that can be worked on. He has a wide pelvic girdle as well and most of the really great TT guys are slim hips, Andy isn't. Watching vids of him walking (from the last few years)I am really curious what bodywork he is getting, because it sure looks like there could be more fluid motion with a release of something that is holding really strongly. Frank is more narrow also.
    Anyhow, I hope he's feeling better. This bug running through the peloton is a bummer. I've been sick too, so I have extra sympathy.

    BE

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sending sympathy your way too! Hope that you are on the mend. - Kat

      Delete
    2. Also wanted to mention that I appreciate the insight into the physiology of the TT position. Thanks BE!

      *hand to forehead in a damsel in distress moment* Slightly crushed to realize that due to genetics, I won't be the TT queen of the local "over 50's" cycling group that I'm not allowed to join because I'm not in my 50's. (giggle) But I'm not bitter ... nooooo.

      Well, all that PLUS I don't ride my bike enough to be a TT queen and I don't even look like a TT queen. But I think that I dislike riding up hills enough to be a TT queen! ;)
      - Kat

      Delete
  8. Thanks Kat! I'm climbing back up. Hope the boyz are as well.

    BE

    ReplyDelete
  9. Jens rocks! Just a wheel width away from victory in Stage 6 Paris-Nice!
    BE

    ReplyDelete
  10. You’re right BE, Jens totally rocks! I’ll bet that the competitor in him is super annoyed (I suspect that he’d use stronger language!) that he didn’t win the stage and I have to admit to feeling a little crushed for him at first when I read that I didn’t. But then I switched my perspective because given where he is in his cycling career, the accomplishment of today is simply awesome.

    Has anyone been reading about this breakaway cycling league that Johan Bruyneel has reportedly committed RSNT to? I know that we are just getting snippets of information that don’t paint the full picture, but I have to admit to feeling upset about this when I read the story from Cyclingnews on my way into work this morning.

    According to the article, this league would focus on ten, four-day races per season. I can’t see how the UCI would allow the teams of the breakaway league to also participate in World-Tour races so I’m assuming that the teams & riders of this league would not be able to participate in the TdF. If my assumption were to become reality, can you imagine Andy not being able to participate in the TdF because he signed a long-term deal with a team that was taken over by a new management company mid-contract, whose personal interests are taking the team in this direction? I can’t imagine that Cancellara would be happy if he wasn't able to participate in the spring classics, either.

    I don’t have enough information but I can already feel myself winding up like a top over just the idea of this. It may also be part of a tactic to put more pressure on the UCI & race organizers over revenue sharing. Either way, as a fan, I'm not happy about what I am reading.
    - Kat

    ReplyDelete
  11. I had the same feelings Kat. The only thing that stopped me from spinning was the idea that UCI will shoot themselves in the foot if they don't find a way to work this out with this new group. Sadly, they've not been terribly cooperative in the past...but this could blow the doors off of their power and control. It's also not supposed to get underway until 2014 I believe....and so many things can happen with riders between now and then that maybe...it would be a nice addition to the cycling calender. Also wouldn't break my heart if this group pushed UCI up against a wall and McQuaid had to step down and allow UCI to enter into nice agreements of cooperation for the betterment of cycling in general.
    This is going to be interesting to watch.
    UCI is really doing some questionable things - the Global Promotion group (McQuaid a member) is a huge conflict of interest waiting to happen....
    The bottom line is the riders and teams as well as cycling fans will suffer as this process unfolds. Not to dis-similar to what is going on in virtually every country right now...politically.
    "Absolute Power Corrupts Absolutely"
    We are the living witnesses of this process...all over the globe.
    BE

    ReplyDelete
  12. OK....Wiggins just rocks! That's all there is to it. He has a new fan.
    BE

    ReplyDelete
  13. I agree that the UCI needs to be held more accountable and am very interested to see what CAS will do with the Rasmussen case where the UCI didn't follow their own rules on notifying the athelete within 10 days of a whereabouts violation. The Global Promotion Group is a really good example of a conflict of interest in action.

    BE, your point about the UCI shooting itself in the foot if they don't find a way to work with this group is also a good one. I wish that I could be confident that egos won't get in the way of a win-win solution. Fingers crossed.

    Kat

    ReplyDelete