Monday 26 March 2012

Criterium International

Owing to a slight mishap with the recorder not knowing about British Summer Time, we came in at 37kms to go, with a three-man break up the road, containing a Leopard. "Who is that?" said LLB. I rolled my eyes: I still haven't quite committed to RadioShack as a team, so I don't actually know all their riders off by heart at 50 paces.....

"No idea," said I, cheerfully and unrepentantly - look, I'm studying for a botany qualification at the moment, I'm on a schedule, and I only have a limited number of memory  modules available. They are currently stuffed with botany information, and I can't spare any for learning cycling facts, particularly when, as mentioned, I'm not yet entirely committed to the team. (NB: send me a RadioShack musette and cap, RadioShack team, and I may yet be converted.)

"I don't recognise him," said LLB, "he must be a Shack rider. You wouldn't know them, would you?"
"Nope," I replied, "It's probably someone like George Bennett, I'd never heard of him before checking the start list."

Guess who it was? Yes, George Bennett.  Who, incidentally, is nowhere near as old as you would expect a Shack rider to be - remember those rather harsh criticisms of Shack as being a team full of "old" riders? - and he appears to be trying to take the Steffandenneffall prize for mad hair. Check the website

Andy swims into view as the camera bike rolls slowly backwards through the peloton. "Hi, Andy!" I chirp. LLB raises eyebrows. "It's Frankie, isn't it?" he says. Oops. Just trying to prove that I'm completely cured of Andyholic-ness, see, I can't even spot the difference any more. Er hem.

This is the third section of the Crit, by the way: Eurosport only managed to get us coverage of the second day,  although it's possible that we missed the catch-up of the first day. And our commentators today are Carlton Kirby - who gets a lot of flack on the forums, but I like him, actually - and Rob Hayles, who I like very much. He has a really laid-back style, and that rather flat Essex-boy accent, but what he says is always interesting and accurate. Him and Magnus Backstedt are, I think, my favourites.

Rob gets a big thumbs up from me by referring to Lay-o-pard Trek, ha ha, instead of RadioShack - glad to see that the professional commentators are still calling them by the wrong name! Interestingly, I am sure that it's because the kit is so close to the Leopard kit. If they'd gone with just red and black, I'm sure we wouldn't be making that mistake.

The three-man break is still away, but I'm beginning to think that George "Who?" Bennett isn't pulling his weight, as I haven't seen him go through and take a turn at the front yet.  Just as I say this to LLB,  whoops, he's dropped! Bad luck, Who, but it was a brave effort.

At 12k to go we start the hill: oh look, there's Luke Rowe in the White Young Rider's jersey, he seems to be making heavy weather of it. In case you're wondering who Luke Rowe is (And God cried out to Luke, saying "Luke! Luke!" but Luke never luke-d and fell down a hole.) (Pun on looked/luke-ed, you have to say it in a northern accent for it to work.)  (Alternatively: And God cried out to Luke, saying "Come forth! Come forth!" but Luke came fifth and won a teapot.)

Sorry, where was I? Luke Rowe: young rider with Sky, we saw him making his track debut at Revolution recently (a big track event in the UK, saw it on LLB's TV when there was no other cycling to watch and we were desperate to see anything on two wheels without an engine) and he was really promising, and kinda cute. In a "put him on a keyring and take him home" sort of way. Now I don't want you to think that I have a "thing" for wee lads, but he was so enthusiastic about his first proper outing for Sky: it was very sweet. So I was pleased to see him on the road, and very pleased that he was wearing the White Jersey. Go, Luke!

At 9km to go, Frankie is suffering: he's not quite pedalling squares, but he's being dropped by the bunch, and Rob Hayles comments that he shouldn't ride with his jersey open all the time, it acts like a parachute and slows him down. Are you listening, Frankie? Zip up!

Sadly, no Leopards -oh, I beg their pardon, RAdIOshACk riders - made the podium, but Monfort made 6th in the GC overall, which is pretty good, and Sky did better to get 3rd and 8th.  Mind you, the podium was no big deal as the podium girl took "dress casual" to the denim limit, as she was wearing jeans with faded knees, and high heels. My dear, so "essex".  Good thing they weren't white stilettos, eh? She was also a very unenthusiastic kisser - even Carlton Kirby made a comment about her "giving him the cheek" when handing over the flowers.  LLB and I speculated that perhaps they hadn't managed to get a proper podium girl, or maybe the stomach bug struck again, so they had to rope in some local girl at the last minute?

8 comments:

  1. I'm really trying hard to not mention the ice game with the rocks and the brooms because that was four posts ago but, *dramatic sigh* even though I get most of the sports channels available to me in my area, that was ALL that was on TV! Okay, that’s an exaggeration as there were oodles of hockey games and a World Figure Skating Championship preview to watch, but cycling was sadly missing from the lineup. I’m being sarcastic when I say this but if you live on the Canadian west coast, you would think that the cycling season doesn’t begin until the Tour de France broadcasts start; and even that broadcast is picked up from the feeds of our neighbours to the south.

    It’s all kind of a mystery because we are the coast that can cycle pretty much all year round (*cough* and I swear that I would if I wasn’t so lazy and so old and liked cycling uphill and liked cycling in the rain) and are the region where Ryder Hesjedal (Garmin) and Christian Meier (Green Edge) grew up. Meanwhile, I’ve seen three tweets from NBCSportsNetwork announcing that “if you missed it” they are re-running the Criterium International coverage again. I live less than a mile from the US/Canadian border, can’t the TV providers just consider me an American for TV viewing purposes and hook me up? I’m sure that I could be a good little American from say March to July. Oh wait, it’s an Olympic year and I love US gymnastics … let’s extend that a little bit, say August maybe??

    I’m not sure how the European TV system works but I’m envious of you all being able to watch these races without internet feeds dropping and annoying pop up windows every 2 or 3 minutes. As for the Crit Int’l, I was only able to follow it on Twitter and was a little concerned when Frank was reported to have been dropped on a climb. Coug, I’m not sure if it was really as bad as I interpreted the tweet but do Andy and Frank seem to be on a different training schedule than in previous years? It just seems like they are not where they usually are at this point in their preparation for L-B-L. Would love to hear what you and others think about that. And if any other Canadian Schlecklanders have any helpful tips on where they follow the spring classics, would love some help there too!

    Take care. - Kat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Things are no better on the east coast Kat. My local cable provider does not offer NBC Sports. SportsNetOne carried the big 3 (Giro, TdF, Vuelta)last year and I hope will again this year. I saw something about 2 weeks after it ran, don't remember now what it was. The Quebec races were on one of the the French networks.
      I watch what I can on the internet, such as it is. Steephill TV has good links. Nothing to be done about the time difference, it would be even worse for you.
      Emjay

      Delete
    2. Thanks Emjay! Yeah, I guess our coverage is the product of the interest in the sport compared to the other sports. I'll check out Steephill TV and be super grateful for the great TdF coverage we get.
      Kat

      Delete
  2. Kat, you are not alone, here in the UK we get very patchy coverage: cycling really is considered a minority sport here.

    Worse, you might have heard of the north-south divide in the UK, this rather strange class thing whereby northerners are considered common and rough, and southern are considered rich, posh, soft and corrupt. OK that's a simplification but that's the root of it. Well, cycling is considered to be something that northerners do. So the rich southerners - ie London, parliament, and everything important - think of cycling as being a bit second class, and not a "proper" sport. Like football. *pulls indescribable face*

    Eurosport are now plugging themselves as being the Home Of Cycling, and are offering "more cycling coverage than ever before" so they are doing their best, but we still don't get a lot of race coverage, and we get practically nothing else: no documentaries, no "inside the team" specials. Cavendish is going a long way to change this, I have high hopes that his profile-raising is going to be the best thing for cycling in the UK, well, ever.

    Like you, I'm really envious of the north European Schlecklanders, who get so much more than we do: and I'm very grateful for you guys kindly providing links to documentaries and so on. I'm always happy to have something to share with the UK Schlecklanders, who might not otherwise have found it.

    Yes, Frankie was dropped: not that badly, as I said, he wasn't pedalling squares but he certainly wasn't whizzing up the hill. I'm not too worried: Frankie and Andy are rarely good this early in the season. L-B-L in 2009 was an exception - and looking at pics of Andy on the podium, I think he was more surprised than anyone else!

    I know that we all want him - both of them - to win races now! now! now! but we have to accept that for them, the Tour is the main goal of the year, and all else will be sacrificed before that.

    Yes, it's a shame that the parcours doesn't suit them more, but that's cycling, and the parcours changes every year: besides, if they get podium places in a race that doesn't suit them, well, how much better is that than winning a race that has been tailored for them to win? (Mentioning no names, Giro) (Whoops, I mentioned a name!)

    I can't comment on their training schedule as I didn't actually have any input to it, nor for last year's schedule, oddly enough: *snorts with laughter, only kidding* I would imagine that there would be some changes to their schedules, as they are now riding for a different team, with a very different DS, who has very much his own ideas about how to run a cyclist. This could be a good thing. Mr Bruyneel has been very successful in the past, and *grits teeth* his regime could be a good one. We will have to see.

    It is such a shame that Andy had to drop out of Catalunya before we really got a chance to see how his legs were looking *stoppit, I heard you* but I sort of think that we can look at Frankie and, to some extent, we can say "that's where Andy is, too." They do train together, work together, and share genes, so it's a valid comparison, I think. That would indicate that they don't have race legs yet, and that is what I would expect at this time of year, for someone who is concentrating on the Tour.

    And yes, *sigh* I would like them to win small races, too, but if winning races now means no chance for the Tour, ok, we'll wait.

    Coug

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't seen the Crit at all, been too busy this weekend, so thanks for the update! I have to admit that I was a bit surprised when I looked up the results and saw that Fränkie lost about 4 mins on the final day, but now I understand.

    I consider myself very lucky to live in NL when it comes to watching cycling. Many races are broadcasted live here, and if not, there's always the Belgian channel.
    But I understand you both. I am also a big All Blacks fan and it's basically impossible to watch their games here. Even the Rugby World Cup wasn't broadcasted until the quarter finals started.

    I too would love to see Fränk and Andy win more regularly during the season. I have to admit that I find it a little frustrating sometimes to see them drop back in races in which they could be doing good.

    On the other hand, it's their biggest wish to win the Tour one day. Andy talks about that in basically every interview he gives. That yellow jersey seems to motivate him, and after all it's him that, every day, has to go out training, stick to a diet etc, not me.

    And Andy might not win often, but when he does, he makes them spectacular.

    Inge

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really hope spectacular is what we see in July. I am certainly not seeing the "pop" and "vigor" that I'd like to see in the whole team frankly. Then again, yes, I know, it's early. Energetically, it feels like they are functioning under a blanket. Does that make any sense?
    I am not feeling the same thing with other teams, so I have a hard time believing it's just a seasonal thing...then again, what the heck do I know?
    I was also sad to see Frankie not do better - and frankly (tee-hee), I don't feel like I've seen Andy at all other than a moment in Catalunya where he should have been wearing a jacket like everyone else and wasn't - the day he abandoned...
    Watch and see, watch and see.

    BE

    ReplyDelete
  5. "Energetically, it feels like they are functioning under a blanket." Yes, BE, that does make sense to me. The only one that I’m not seeing any change in his race and fan/media interaction is Cancellara. The rest feel like they’ve been forced underground fan/media wise. But to be fair, this is Fabian’s prime season and as you pointed out, it’s not July yet. I’d also like to say that I’m not trying to look for trouble or be negative in any way here; I’m simply curious about what I perceive to be a change in behaviour and I sincerely hope that everything is well with our “Leopards”. Wins or no wins, I am a loyal fan of the boys but I'm still watching warily from the sidelines when it comes to the organization.

    *cheering up* Hey, did anyone else notice that Wouter’s name is listed in memory with the rest of the team on the RSNT bus?

    Kat

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Kat,
    Yes...this will be fascinating to watch as things unfold.
    BE

    ReplyDelete