Wednesday 8 February 2012

Oh Saxo Bank, where were you, back then?

In a good-but-at-the-same-time-maddening way, Saxo Bank have publicly stated that they are continuing to support Bjarne's team, and Conti, even though his UCI ban means that, by their own rules, he has been sacked from the team.

Bjarne confirmed in an interview yesterday that although Conti's contract had been ended, he was eligible to return to the team as soon as the suspension finished, which is Aug 5th.

And SaxoBank - the bank, not the team - confirmed that they will continue to support Conti and Bjarne.

Excuse me while I beat my head against the wall - where were you, two years ago, you swines! Remember the second half of 2010? SaxoBank said "Naaah, lost interest, not gonna sponsor you no more" while curling their lips in disdain, which lead directly to the whole half-the-team-have-left  problem. Grrr. If they had been a bit more steadfast in those days, we might not have had the whole Leopard fiasco.

It's also interesting to note that SaxoBank will lose all Conti's UCI points, of course, but there is another implication - he won't be able to win any points for a further two years after the ban ends.

Which leads to the obvious question: how can a one-pony team like Saxo (no offence to Chris Anker-Sorensen and the other boys, but come on, be honest) survive as a pro-team with their main points winner unable to claim points for two whole seasons? Unless Bjarne can quickly buy in someone very point-worthy, that team is going to be in whole lot of trouble for the next couple of years.

The team were 9th in the UCI rankings last year - yes, only 9th, even with all those wins, Leopard were 3rd, please note - with 696 points, 471 of which were Conti's, leaving them with just 225  points. That puts them bottom of the league, way below Vacansoleil who sat at the bottom with 369  points. On paper, this should mean that this will lead to Saxo being demoted from the ProTeam league,  but I can't quite see how this can be done, administratively, unless they run the ProTeam league with only 17 teams this year?  I mean, you can't take a Pro-Continental team and shove them without warning up into the ProTeam league, surely? Yes, of course a team would be delighted to be suddenly promoted, but on the other hand, there must be huge costs associated with the ProTeam which sponsors might struggle to adjust to, at such short notice.

Anyone remember which ProTeam only just didn't make it? I'm thinking Europcar, but I'm not sure.

According to the UCI site ("My soul! My soul!") they have asked their "Licence Commission" to make a ruling on the subject.  Don't you just hate the UCI?  Instead of just saying "We will make a decision" they pass the buck onto a mythical Licence Commission, which is presumably some kind of sub-committee, so that in a couple of days (during which we assume this committee will graze the internet, check all the forums, read my blog [ha ha] judge what the common reaction is, establish what the overall consensus of public opinion is, then ignore it) they can say that "the Licence Commission" have decided blah blah blah, with the subtext of "don't blame us for this decision, not our choice, we just did what we were told to do." Pffff. *disgusted face*.

This further supports my idea - see next post, which I have already written but has been queue-jumped by this one - that the UCI should look again at the way they allocate the points: cycling is a team effort, and all members of the squad should benefit from the leader's win. If the points were shared amongst the squad, then Saxo would still have at least some of their points, and for the next 2 years they would at least be able to gain some points.

Which leads to another idea, that of Conti being a SuperSonicDomestique for the next two years. Can you imagine him having to drag the rest of the team along, then push them across the start-line ahead of  himself, in order to get points assigned to the team, and not just to himself.

This could be the start of a whole new style of racing....

Mind you, poor old Conti might find himself having to wash out the drinks bottles and clean the bikes after the race to get a bit of pocket money, as he's likely to have a huge fine to pay, as well as having to give back all the prize money.  Apparently the UCI rules say that they get 70% of the rider's back income as a penalty for doping, although according to a report on Velonation yesterday,  they might waive some of that fine, as he didn't deliberately dope. But I'm pretty sure he will have to hand back the prize money, as that will have to be given to the newly-promoted better-placed-than-they-thought people.

What a nightmare.



And to finish, a couple of frivolous items, as I do enjoy a quick frivvle after all this serious stuff: search terms. Ah yes, I love my search terms. These blogs show us how people came here: in effect, what they typed into Google to get a list of sites, one of which lead here.

Now, yesterday my page viewing figures nearly doubled, for no particular reason: nothing to do with the number of comments, by the way,  as it only counts each user once, no matter how many pages you look at. And what was the most popular search terms, used by over 30% of visitors? "Andy Schleck Girlfriend". Well, there's a surprise.

But nearly 10% of people got here from "La Senza Maid" which seems ridiculously precise for multiple people to have found the site, doesn't it? (I think it was my comments about some podium girls last season, the ones wearing black frocks with white aprons.)

And of course nearly 30% arrived from combinations of Andy/Jil/Jill/Delvaux. And there was me, just yesterday, beaming proudly at having the most intelligent fangirls on the internet! I do wonder, sometimes. Of course, these are mostly the one-time visitors: they pop in, read a bit (or just look at the pictures, possibly) then disappear. Not like you lovely loyal regular, or irregular, Schleckland Deckmates, who sail the Schleckland Ship with me... ah, yes, perhaps I should mention that there was a bit of frivolity on Twitter yesterday, I was promoted to Captain Coug of the Schleckland Ship, and I regret to confirm that there was indeed a bit of yo-ho-hoing and a few passing references to scurvy dogs and splicing mainbraces.

Now, one word of warning for all of you - my computer has picked up a bug of some kind, and I have had the Blue Screen Of Death twice in the last two days. There is every chance that I might be forced off-line for a while, if it needs to be sorted out. So don't worry if I suddenly "disappear", it's nothing serious, and I will be back! Honest! 

And as a final aside, when I write a post, the final job is to run the spell-checker, in case I missed any speeling eroorrrrs... always good for a giggle, as it doesn't recognise any of the cycling terms or names, and of course it hates my slang and abbreviations.

All that is to be expected.

But why does a spell-checker on a Blogging site not recognise the word "internet"? Or "Google"?

14 comments:

  1. First of all, congratulations on your promotion! Thinking of getting a few golden teeth? :P

    I too don't understand Saxo's move. Like you say, two years ago they were nowhere to be seen until Contador signed up, and now that he's suspended they stay.
    I do think though that there would have been an exodus at Saxo anyway. That Luxembourgish team was coming up, so of course Fränk and Andy left for that. And Fabian and Bjarne couldn't take much from each other anymore (which started very early on in 2010), so he was leaving anyway as well. And I think that Bjarne sort of dug his own grave when he signed up Contador. That is why guys like Jens and Stuey left, they didn't want to ride for the guy that had always been their rival (which I understand from both sides, Bjarne needed a big GC contender, and Jens's and Stuey's decision is very understandable as well) But most likely a lot of the staff and many other riders would have stayed, knowing that there'd still be a sponsor.

    And it would be cruel indeed if now the entire team is going to get in major trouble. Contador wasn't even on the team when he tested positive! None of those riders deserve that.
    This will put a lot of pressure on guys like Kroon, Porte, Nuyens to do really, really well in the upcoming weeks.
    Like I said before, it's also unfair towards others to strip him off the 2011 results.

    The UCI has to man up actually. They should step up now and deal with it.

    The idea of Contador being a super-super domestic sounds very interesting. He probably won't do that in the Tour, but in other races he might not have a choice, in order to keep his team alive.

    Inge

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whoa...I hadn't heard that AC will not make points for the next 2 years! I don't understand the logic of that. Potentially, it could mean a rider "serves" his sanction - but is re-sanctioned unfairly if they can't bring points to a team they join after the sanctioning.
    Double jeapardy or something..??
    BE

    ReplyDelete
  3. Truly, it's a UCI rule. *pause* Damn, I've just spent 20 minutes reading the UCI rules ("My soul! My soul! Heeeelp! I can feel it being sucked out!") and I can't find it. I know I read it somewhere.

    I've found references to it in other forums and blogs, but I can't find the source. Ooer, I hope I didn't dream it? (If I did, everyone else is copying from this blog, ha ha!)

    I thought at the time that it was a daft idea - I am pretty sure it pre-dates the current UCI point scheme, so back then it would not have mattered as much, the rider would still get prize money and glory. I can only assume it was meant to show that they were "on probation" in some way.

    "Unfair" is definitely the word of the day: poor old Team Saxo, shouldn't Astana be contributing to some of these costs? Conti was riding for them at the time...

    Inge, I suspect you are right, that the Lux project was already on the go, and some of the Saxo boys were looking for a change, but I really don't think there would have been such a wholesale clear-out of 12 riders plus staff, soigneurs, mechanics, masseurs etc if it had been clear that Team Saxo would have been continuing. I'm pretty sure that most of the support staff would have stayed, had they thought their sponsor was solid.

    It's harsh to say it, but Saxo the Bank have only themselves to blame: they let their team down by telling them they would withdraw funding, and only went crawling back when Bjarne produced Conti. And look how that worked out. Still, they've had lots and lots and LOTS of publicity from it....

    Coug
    "Gold teeth"? Go to a dentist voluntarily? Me? Are you MAD????!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha, no, I'm not mad! Only joking ;-)

    Inge

    ReplyDelete
  5. I remembered the UCI rule being discussed when Valverde returned to competition. Cyclingnews wrote an article on the topic in which it says, "The UCI took the decision to disqualify riders who are returning from bans from scoring points toward the team rankings for two years following their return from a anti-doping rule violation. The rule was ratified by the Pro Cycling Council in Copenhagen last autumn." (http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/valverdes-success-will-not-benefit-movistar)

    I'm wondering if this rule change was prompted from the Ricco situation (he returned to competition after serving his initial ban and now there is a second incident where he is being investigated for allegedly transfusing stored blood) as I remember some chat at the time about Ricco's point potential. I found the article that I was thinking about (http://inrng.com/2011/02/vacansoleils-licence-is-safe/). Interesting that at the time, it was Vacansoleil's license that was being reviewed.

    - Kat

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think I must be in trauma after the last um...6 daze of...whatever the heck this is going on in the cycling world right now. I've met a lot of new friends though and learned so much! One day - I was up a 7:30 and the next thing I knew - it was 5:00...wasn't working that day obviously - all day on the computer - research, twitter, here - as you sadly witnessed - and FB & friends who come to me with questions.
    So....gimme a reality check please Schlecklanders.....check this out

    http://velonews.competitor.com/2012/02/no-spoil/the-world-from-pat%E2%80%99s-chair-part-iii_205976

    This is the first time I've read anything McQuaid has said that I appreciated and understood - and frankly, I am mortified to admit, I didn't know he was a rider in his youth - and now I understand where he is coming from. He was there years back and his furror is about what he knew and saw and probably experienced first hand....I have empathy.
    I've never felt compassion for this man before. Never!
    I almost feel like I've chatted with him and had the big ah-ha's!

    What do you think? This is part 3 and I did read 1&2 and eh - but cop to the reality that it may have been my state of mind...but this one hit me. It felt like a voice - with personal experience.
    So again - what do you think?

    My only other comment would be that UCI needs better administrative staff so they can develope a timely, seamless process. Unless, of course it's the "big boyz" who sit on things and create the problems. Been there as well - if so, my heart goes out to that business' administrative staff!

    BE

    ReplyDelete
  7. I said it in my comments from the other day, but it is really unfair to punish the whole Saxo Bank team, if it comes to the Licence Commission ruling that they can no longer be a ProTeam. Especially when this whole shemozzle started when Contador wasn't even on their team!

    I think it was Project 1T4i that just missed out on a ProTeam licence. And Saxo DO have good riders, but a lot of them are still developing. They may no longer have a big name GT rider, but they could easily go for stage wins and one-day races with the team they have. Jonathan Cantwell (new Aussie recruit) has consistently finished in the top 10 of most, if not all, the sprints he's contested already. Give him some time riding in the pro-peloton and he may just end up winning a few races :)

    Saxo the Bank are probably in that old mindset of any publicity is good publicity. Guess which bank's name (and no, it's not the Commonwealth Bank... that was just for the Aussie Schlecklanders :P)is splashed all over the internets and in the papers right now? Despite my cynicism there, I'm glad. Saxo Bank is Saxo Bank. I like that the team will still be called that :)

    Saxo Bank the team seems really tight-knit to me and I wouldn't be surprised if this whole thing sees them pull together and show us what they're made of. And when he's back, I honestly do not think Contador will have an issue riding as a super-domestique for this team.

    Also... Bjarne probably should have paid out Jakob's contract with LT after all.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Coug - here is the 2 yr no points rule...

    Zero comma zero zero zero
    These ranking points are crucial but there is a new rule from the UCI for riders returning from a ban. Here is the proposal submitted last spring to the UCI:

    a proposal aiming to prevent any rider returning to competition after a suspension of at least two years for violation of the Anti-Doping Regulation to contribute to the establishment of his team’s sporting value during the registration procedure. If the UCI Management Committee approves, this measure, which means that during a period of two years these riders’ points would not be taken into account, will take effect from this year

    This was ratified by the UCI Management Committee last September during its meeting on the margins of the world championships in Copenhagen, cyclingnews.com explains more.

    Can you believe about Jan? Wow, CAS is going crazy!
    BE

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looky, looky at what I found!

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFzHQnAiXiI

    Andy Song!

    BE

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh Ellie, *shakes head humourously* where have you been? Check out the Pages tab, next to Home: the one titled "The Song".

    It's been there nearly as long as this blog has been going!

    However, two Schlecklander Points for effort, and for an excuse to make everyone look at it again. To anyone not word-perfect on The Song, go to my Page, as mentioned, you'll find the words in Lux and an English version.

    I expect you all to be singing along, now!

    Cap'n Coug
    (Taking my responsibilities as Captain vewy, vewy, seriously)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It must have been a momentary lapse - because...I knew that.....
      So...hum...YES, it was all just a ploy to get you all to watch it again! Yeah, that's it! *blushes*
      BE

      Delete
    2. I'm still in therapy over "Cap'n Coug"! ;)
      Kat

      Delete
  11. PS In the interview with Pat McQuaid, link kindly supplied by BE, above, he describes pro-cycling as "a money-intensive sport".

    Hello? Real World calling McQuaid: cost of sponsoring a cycling team: from 6.5 million Euros to 15 million Euros.

    Cost of sponsoring F1 racing: Red Bull, probably one of the biggest sponsors: 250 million Euros, plus 90million Euros for their junior team.

    250 v 15.

    Cycling is a cheap, cheap sport! The towns along the route compete to be allowed to host it, the locals provide their own bunting, the caravan is supplied by a variety of sponsors, ie Haribo supply the sweeties to be thrown out: and the UCI & WADA, to whom the teams all subscribe, arrange the dope testing.

    Once again, Mr Mcquaid demonstrates his lack of touch with reality!

    (Yes, Ellie, all right, his heart is in the right place, he wants to stamp out doping, but between you and me, he's still a pompous prat.)

    Coug

    ReplyDelete
  12. My son actually sat next to him on a flight....apparently...agreed.
    Ah well - compassion is good. I'll just tuck it away.
    BE

    ReplyDelete