Friday 5 April 2013

Will Andy do the Tour this year?

What a good question.

He said, in Velonews yesterday that he was not likely to be on top form by July:

“I cannot dream about winning the Tour this year,”  he said.

When they asked if he thought that he could not win the race, he said:

“I don’t go as the leader of the race, no. I haven’t been there last year,”

Of course, there is always that famous "lost in translation" problem: to us, in English, that second quote implies that he is going to the Tour. But it might have been meant "If I were to go, it would not be as the leader".

There is a case to be made for his team management, who should not "waste" a place (sorry Andy, you know I don't mean it like that) on a rider who is not 100%: but as I said in my last post,  he's such a high-profile rider that I rather think the organisers would want him competing, even if he were not quite fit.

Personally - bearing in mind that I'm not a DS nor a sports psychologist and therefore don't know what I'm talking about - I would have thought it would be a huge pressure on Andy, to send him to the Tour in the knowledge that he's not fully fit (we are, of course, assuming that he won't make a miraculous return to form: which might yet happen!) and with everyone and his dog watching him closely. And no Frankie for support.

Actually, I say "and no Frankie" as though that were essential, but of course when Frankie crashed out with a broken collarbone, Andy not only continued without him, but finished on the podium, so that does rather prove that Andy is perfectly capable of racing without Frankie.

But of course that was in the Leopard year, when he had the full support of the team, the management, the other riders, etc: things are a little different these days, even without Mr Bruyneel looming over him in the background.

Regardless of the support issue, we all know that it's the biggest, longest, hardest stage race in cycling, and if a rider is not fully fit, he could easily fail to finish: and we can all imagine what that would do to anyone's confidence, let alone Andy's.

So personally, on balance, I'd rather see Andy give the Tour a miss this year, win the Giro, and start afresh (preferably in a new team, ha! ha!) next year.

But that's just my opinion.

What do you think?

6 comments:

  1. I agree with you, it's not like he's getting "over the hill" and this would be his last TdF, Andy has plenty more years left in those legs of his, so to miss a year wouldn't be a big deal.

    He's better off getting his race fitness back and getting a new team (preferably with Jakob in it too :) )and regaining his confidence in himself to win races.

    I know from experience how hard it is to get back on the bike let alone win races after crashes and injuries, I had shoulder surgery from crashing my bike 6 weeks ago and only just got back on my bike (be it indoor trainer)yesterday! It's going to be a long road back to race fitness!

    Anyway, I think we would make great sports psychologists, that way we could listen to all their problems and hug them while they have a little cry about how mean Mr Bruyneel is being to them, and make it all better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't see the problem of Andy going to the Tour as a domestique. Actually, I wonder who could be the leader (Horner? Kloden? Sorry, that would mean no chance of podium...). Maybe the Shacks will go there with a completely different team focused on winning stages and TTs and not the GC. Thus Andy will be free to attack in the mountains without the pressure of being a top contender and gain a lot of confidence winning a stage!

    Coug, I don't think he could be able to win the Giro - just because it comes too early. Maybe, he can ride the Tour as a built up for the Vuelta and go there with Frankie to win it.

    I'm also doubtful about the option of a new team. The old Shack riders are going to retire soon (maybe sooner than expected due to the Armstrong affair) and the young ones are not ready to lead the team. They have Andy - one of the best climbers in the world - and I guess they're not going to let him go so easily. And I can't imagine of another team in which Andy could have a new start. Which one(s) do you propose?

    Alice

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did I say "Giro"? I meant Vuelta, sorry! Alice, I think you are right, Shack are going to struggle to make any inroads on the GC, so stage wins are going to be their only real option. Wouldn't it be great to see Our Andy win a stage?

    Shack are going to be in all sorts of problems next season: not just the lack of sponsors (sound effect of rats leaving the sinking ship) but the ageing team - which had been identified as a problem two years ago. And it has been quite well publicised that Cancellara wishes to leave.

    Although we all know that Frankie and Andy have contracts that run until 2014, I would have thought that contracts would mean nothing, if the team folds, or loses the main sponsor.

    Must admit, I was somewhat surprised that the long contracts were "carried over" to RadioShambles: if I were their lawyer/agent, I would have said that the long contract was with Leopard Trek, and that anyone taking them over should re-negotiate contracts. Oh well, I guess not. Maybe they were thankful to have long contracts? Who knows.

    Hey Michelle, six weeks off the bike, huh? Poor you, that must have hurt. Glad to hear that you getting back into training.

    Coug

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And 6 weeks off work, so it's not all bad...lol though I'm not sure which hurt worse - the initial falling off my bike or the surgery. Either way I don't want to do it AGAIN! Funny now when I watch riders crash, it nearly makes me feel sick because I know how much it hurts, and I can't believe some of the actually get on their bikes again and carry on!

      Just watched the Paris-Roubaix today (all 5 hours of it!) Awesome to see Fabian win again, I really hope they can all stay as a team, it would be really strange to not see Fabian on the same team as the Schlecks.

      Delete
  4. Looks like Andy will be riding the Tour this year: http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/schleck-takes-on-amstel-gold-race

    It sounds like he's in a positive/realistic headspace at the moment, judging by his comments about building his form, which I think bodes well. Hopefully the media and the critics will take it a bit easier in terms of criticising his form!

    We believe in you Andy! And we'll be cheering on whilst watching Amstel, even if it's on late at night (for some of us, anyway).

    Bris. Gal (who finally has a decent internet connection)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This literally just "popped up" on my computer...I take it as a dign and so I'm posting it...it's old, but it's pretty wonderful!
    To the future!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6GkzZqQaS0

    ReplyDelete