Tuesday 15 November 2011

You know you're a diehard cycling fan when...

Earlier this year, LLB and I were proud to award ourselves Diehard ProCycling Fan badges (virtual, of course) because we:

1) Have been to a stage race, a TT, and a crit.
2) Have stayed watching a TT right to the end.
3) In the rain.
4) Have sat indoors and missed the few sunny days of summer, just to watch TdF on TV.

We thought that covered the more important points of fandom, but there are some more signs.

Fairly basic criteria are of course being able to name every team in the Pro-Team peloton, and you get extra points for being able to recognise most of the Continental teams, by their kit.

I get further points, as I have a team musette and bidon, left.

(Oh, yes, I'm still proud of that!)

And I get an extra point as I could have had another bidon that was thrown towards me during a race. (I gave it away - I'm good like that.)

More points are awarded for naming pets after cyclists: I have a fish called Bram Tankink.

Yes, I know he's Rabobank and has nothing to do with Leopard Trek or Andy Schleck, I just thought it was a good name. Overtones of Dracula, combined with tanking up and down, and living in a tank. It just felt right.

I have a small bear from New Zealand called Henderson, after Greg Henderson, (actually he's not even my bear, I'm looking after him for a friend. Do you know, [by the way, I'm looking after 20 or so of her second-league bears while she moved house] she hadn't even removed his tags? Or given him a name??!! So I named him Henderson. Heh heh heh...) and of course you all remember Johan Van Lobsteren - right - who is also only visiting, but who has already found out about the remote control....

Recently, Eva and I were tweeting, and it came to pass that she defined Easter this year as being during LBL, whereas next year it will be during PT.

So I suggested to her than another sign of being a diehard cycling fan was in describing events by the race which they interrupt....

...and by being prepared to watch Track events, strange as they are, in desperation, when there is no other cycling on......

...and she suggested that, as a Dutch person, knowing the English phrase "Polka Dot" was a pretty good sign, too!

I suppose that the most obvious sign of being a Diehard Cycling Fan is when you  plan your holidays around big Tours, (actually, we all do that, don't we?) but a real give-away is when you plan your family by using the Tour de France Testosterone Method: ie babies conceived during the season are going to be girls, as all the testosterone is being used up.

Honestly, it's a theory! Mark Cavendish says that he and Peta's baby is going to be a girl, for that reason.

[Thinks: perhaps we could ask Jensi if he'd be prepared to be used for market research of this hypothesis, as he has 6 children and if he would be kind enough to confirm which ones were conceived during the season.... surely that's enough for a good sample?  Go on, you ask him.]

So, if you can think of any other give-aways, do tell!

13 comments:

  1. Hi Coug, you need a pet Tarantula names Sven Tuft.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When your friends roll their eyes every time a cycling topic comes up (or is forced into) the conversation.
    BE

    ReplyDelete
  3. When you're being asked why you still visit cycling sites/blogs now that there's no cycling.

    Barbara.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with BE's suggestion. Also...

    When you're asked "what's new?" by friends and all you can think of is cycling gossip.

    When you refer to cyclists by first name only and expect everyone else to automatically know who you're talking about.

    When you wait for hours, shivering and wet, just to see 5 seconds of a race whizz by you.

    Lastly... when your husband commonly refers to your favourite cyclist as 'your boyfriend'.

    Leelu

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOL! Excellent!

    Teaneck Coolgirl, I'm not sure if I really want a pet tarantula *thinks about it* - No, I don't think so. And Svein Tuft is going to GreenEdge, anyway. Yay, Svein! If I get another fish, I might call him Svein...

    Rolling of eyes - check!

    Still visiting cycling sites - check!

    "What's new?" enquiry met by cycling gossip - check!

    LLB refers to OGL as "that Andy bloke" - check!

    Oh yes, we're definitely getting there...

    Coug

    ReplyDelete
  6. Since a year or 2 I stopped being confronted with rolling eyes from friends; just the weather stayed as an appropriate conversation item and that being so, gave me some credit about being a weather-expert on a lot of countries during specific times. -Only the dear friends didn't realise how I could be sometimes so exact :)-

    Lee, you are so right about husband's comments; mine calls him "my little boyfriend" LOL

    Barbara.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, I forgot:

    "Putting your team's logo on your t-shirts" Oops, guilty.

    Also, "choosing your wardrobe on the basis of your team's kit colour".

    Not that any of us did that, oh no, did we?

    Coug

    ReplyDelete
  8. Speaking of gossip, I mean news, did you see ODL has been fined for speeding? May lose his license for a month too.
    Um, is checking CyclingNews on Twitter 2 or 3 times a day a sign?
    emjay

    ReplyDelete
  9. Of course I meant OGL, not ODL. My finger slipped.
    emjay

    ReplyDelete
  10. Uh-oh....yep.......

    http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/andy-schleck-may-receive-one-month-driving-ban

    Tsk,tsk...
    BE

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wups! That will teach me to check comments before making a new post!

    Er - See New Post for Coug's Take On Andy Speeding!

    *blushes*

    Coug

    ReplyDelete
  12. To this list:
    when your boyfriend is waiting for you for 10 minutes (or more), but you still have some sites to check - because you've just found another interesting story, or a yet unknown cyclist.

    And then, you are too excited about the new informations, so you just speak about this rather than apologize.
    oh, no, I never did anything like that... :P

    Narce

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, Narce! *shocked face* What a terrible way to treat your boyfriend!

    I am quite sure that I have never kept LLB waiting in this way - oh wait, there was last Friday... and actually, the previous Sunday.... oops.

    Coug

    ReplyDelete