Tuesday 29 November 2011

Sports Personality of the Year

Great news for cycling in the UK - Mark Cavendish, ex-HTC, now going to Sky, has been nominated for the UK Sports Personality of  the Year award!

This is a massive step forward for cycling, and shows how the popularity of the sport is increasing in leaps and bounds.

I don't think there has ever been a cyclist in the nominations before, so this is quite a thrill for all of us UK cycling fans, whether we are supporters of Mark or not.

Of course, he might not win, but even to be in the Top 10 is a tremendous boost to the sport.

He's up against Andy Murray (Leelu, I can hear you from here!) and some others that I don't know. For the full list, follow the link I gave above.

Best news, voting occurs on the night of the award, which is the 22nd December, and is a phone vote. Normally, in a phone vote, footballers win: but this year, not a single footballer made the top 10, yay! Sadly, not a single woman made the top 10 either, which is a bit odd.

So, yay for Sky, and go, Marky, go!

2 comments:

  1. I'm rather surprised I know who half of them are. I like to watch golf, so that's 3 right there, plus I know who Andy Murray is, and of course Cav.
    Emjay

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, well done, you! Apart from cycling, I'm not the least bit sporty. If you don't count pro bull riding, that is... or timber sports, although I don't know the names of the competitors, I just enjoy watching it... oh, and there's winter sports, I love 4-man bob, and Nordic skiing is pretty good, too....

    Coug Non Sporty Version

    ReplyDelete