Saturday 6 June 2015

"First Class Cycling...."

"... with Alpecin, caffeine sham-pugh."

She keeps on saying it, whoever she is - I thought it was Mariella Frostrup at first, but now I am having my doubts. At first is used to annoy me, but now LLB and I chorus along with her every time, competing to get the exact way she pronounces sham-pew. Sham-puh. Nope, still not quite right.

Does anyone know whose voice is saying those words, in the UK ad for Alpecin?

And does anyone know how the stuff is supposed to work?

Caffeine is supposed to help you perk up, wake up, be more alert: how does that relate to hair, I wonder? I don't know about you, but I don't particularly want my hair rushing around like a mad thing saying "Comb me! Style me!"  and nagging me to go to a proper hairdresser for a proper cut for the first time since August 2008. (I cut it myself now - I hate hairdressers, all that faff and chat for what need only be a five-minute operation, snip snip there you are, done.) Hair is, after all, dead once it leaves your scalp (good thing too, imagine how painful it would be if your hair were alive, ergh) so nothing you apply to it can have any effect on the structure of the hair, other than removing dirt and smoothing the cuticles of the hair to make it feel silkier. *runs fingers through own tresses in satisfaction*

I seem to remember that when we first heard that Alpecin were coming into pro cycling as a sponsor, I looked them up and found out it was a hair restoring product - and they were linked with Trek at the time. Ah, how things change.

But it does seem odd that a product to restore men's hair should be sponsoring what is basically a young man's sport....






2 comments:

  1. Especially when Marcel Kittel is in the ad! Like he needs anymore hair.... Since the lovely Jakob wasn't at the Giro this year I found a new pet - Esteban Chaves, now he is just the cutest, I went to see one of the NZ riders Sam Bewley and as soon as I got my NZ flag out to take a photo with Sam, Esteban turns up wanting me to do the haka. Needless to say when I told him girls don't do the haka his little face dropped and he pouted, said we weren't "real NZers" this was all recorded on the Orica back stage pass, how embassing! Anyway he recognized me the next day and we kissed and made up (ok that bits not true but he's just so little and cute!)
    If you want really good access to riders and great stage viewing, the Giro is fantastic, not crazy like the TdF! I will go back again.

    Sorry for going a bit off topic here :)

    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good to know that you have a new pet!

    I'm getting quite fond of my pet Dark Lord, Luca Paolini, and I cheer for him every time he's spotted at the back of the peloton (all the way through the race except for the last 3k) or at the front (for the last 3k).

    I don't think LLB and I will ever get to the Giro, but we're quite captivated by the Nordic tours, on the rare occasions that we get tv coverage...

    Coug

    ReplyDelete