Monday 8 June 2015

Dauphine - sleeves, road markings and bad spectators

Day one of the Dauphine, and we are nearly treated to another spectator-caused career-ending crash, as a silly bloke runs out into the road after the leader, waving and grinning at the moto, not realising that the second rider in the break is RIGHT BEHIND him.

I won't add a photo of him doing it, as I don't want to give ar**holes like that any additional publicity, but I was encouraged to see him being pushed off the road by a Police official: I live in hope that he'll be reprimanded or, better still, fined for that stupid action.

Moving on...  nice to see Johan Van Summeren....


 .... with his sleeves tucked up again.

There he is on the far right of the picture, leading out the AG2R train, with his sleeved tucked up.

I would so love to know why he does it!

Coug: "So, JVS, why do you always  tuck your sleeves up?"
JVS (in Dutch) "Er, sorry? I don't speak English."
Coug (makes gesture to biceps): "Sleeves?"
JVS (in Dutch): "What? My arms? Yes, they are a bit skinny, but I have very long bones, it's not like I'm a weakling or anything, I'm perfectly strong, it's just a proportion thing."
Coug (confused): "Oh. Thank you." 


The other thing that made me laugh was the road markings on the final circuit - we get accustomed to seeing things written on the road, and sometimes there are logos, but this one baffled me first time round (right).

Was it an advert for Pommi Bears?

Was it a rather obscure graphic indicating the turn-off lane for the diving pool?

After seeing it a few more times, LLB and I decided that two of them were indicating places where pedestrians could cross, and the other two were, er, possibly either indicating that the whole area was safe for pedestrians - which seems a bit odd, as there is clearly a pavement on the left - or the man who drove the marking machine got a bit carried away and plopped them down wherever he felt like it.

The day ended in triumph for Peter KenYack (Kennaugh) or Sweet-Little-Pete as he's known (well, that's what Fran Millar, sister of David Millar, calls him) as he peeled off the front with nearly 2k to go, stormed away, and made it over the line to take the first stage, and the first yellow/blue leader's jersey of the race.

Well done, SLP!

No comments:

Post a Comment