Friday 22 May 2015

Team Boss Of The Year.... not.

Not exactly breaking news, but time that Schleckland made a comment on it, for the sake of the lovely Jakob, if for nothing else.

"What is he on?!" comes to mind.

 Ass-t'na's owner, the unlovely Mr Tinkoff, already has a reputation for being a sexist, racist, homophobic oik, after several quite nasty episodes on Twitter.

Then, recently, he was openly telling journalists that he thought Peter "Jammy Dodger" Sagan was not earning his salary, as he'd failed to win anything in the early part of this season.

Now, he's given an interview to Gazzetta dello Sport in which he states quite openly that he is looking for legal ways to reduce Sagan's salary, despite giving him a contract specifying that salary.

How to motivate your team - "not" !!!!

This man really is a complete idiot. He appears to be cut from the same cloth as Mr Becca, the so-called family friend behind the ill-fated Leopard-Trek episode, mister "oh yes I'll back you for four years" Becca who then ran out on them after less than two years, having not realised that sponsorship IS NOT INVESTMENT!! golly, how many times will I have to say that: when you invest, you expect to get your money back and you hope to make a big profit.  When you sponsor, you GIVE AWAY the money,  and you hope to get publicity and respect - but you certainly don't your money back, let alone make a profit.

Tinkoff even has the nerve to describe his team as his toy, and hints strongly that he is getting bored with his toy, and will throw it away one day soon.

Poor Jakob.

We all worried about the doping thing when he went to Ass-t'na: we worried about Mr EPO-Removed-My-Eyebrows Vinokourov having an undue influence over him; we worried about him having to work for Nibali and Contador and never having a chance to ride for himself - but we didn't realise he'd be riding for a team owned and managed by a childish man who thinks he can throw away the careers of 28-odd riders just like that *snaps fingers*.

We all know that when riders change teams, they rarely win anything for the first year. It's almost a tradition: have a great year, win tons of races, get offered lots of huge contracts, take the best one, move teams, ignominious quiet season. Look at Philly Gilly going to BMC, not a win in his first year. Thor Hushovd, ditto.

Yet Tinkoff will happily suggest that he'll throw away the team, putting all those riders through the misery of finding a new team and having to settle in again. Just because he can.

Anyone would have put money on Sagan having a quiet year this year - anyone who knows anything about pro cycling, that is, and it does rather appear that although Mr Tinkoff is a big fan of cycling, and rides a bike himself, he doesn't actually know a great deal about it.

This is all contriving to make Uncle Bjarne look like a much better manager: you only have to look at how he handled Contador, buying him only to have a ban fall upon him (which seems, in retrospect, more and more unfair as clenbuterol is now being found in meat quite regularly) yet he kept the rider on, despite not getting any races out of him, and then easing him back into racing. Now he is being rewarded, with Contador back onto winning form despite broken legs, dislocated shoulders and goodness knows what else. And yet Tinkoff gave him the sack. *shakes head*

Tinkoff, on the other hand, is publicly telling Sagan that he's not worth the money, and saying he is going to find a way to reduce the salary. I bet that poor old Sagan is wishing it was only a 2-year contract!

The only sensible thing to come from Mr Tinkoff's mouth is the concept that there needs to be a new way of paying riders, although I'd take that further and say there needs to be a new way of funding the teams altogether.  It's ridiculous for an "open" non-stadium sport to be run in the same way as sports who have ticket-income. It puts the teams at the mercy of the sponsors who may run out of funds or lose interest *dark look* at any moment, it creates horrendous instability and it must make the sport even harder to organise, when you don't know for sure how many pro teams you are going to have, from year to year.

However, Mr Tinkoff doesn't care about all that, he just wants to get results. I'm not a huge Contador fan *grinds teeth and mutters "39 seconds" under breath* but I hope and pray that he wins the damned Giro, just to keep Tinkoff happy.

Sorry, Richie!

8 comments:

  1. I'm confused. Does Oleg own Astana too? Jakob rides for the baby blues with Nibali and Bertie and Sagan ride for Stinkoff in fluro yellow - with Bjarne the ex sporting director. Seems Oleg has so much $$$ that he could own the whole peloton, but I don't think he does.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhaahahaha neighing! Sorry, I keep on doing this: I have a complete mental block when typing blog articles, and I always get those two teams confused!

    OF COURSE you are correct, the lovely Jakob is riding with the pyjama boys in blue, supporting Nibbles.

    Stinkoff in the horrible yellow have Conti and Saggy Sagan.... and nasty Oleg and "poor" Uncle Bjarne, who is now starting to get a bit more sympathy here in Schleckland.

    Sorry!

    Sorry!

    I would edit the post, but then the comments won't make sense, so I shall leave them in order for the whole of Schleckland and the rest of the Cycloverse to know what a complete dillon I am.

    It shows, incidentally, a terribly sad side-effect of being sent to Andyhab - it's clearly affecting my memory badly. Please send postcards to LLB telling him that I should be excused from Andyhab in future.

    Auntie Coug
    Suffering from memory loss, due to loss of Andy. Probably. Or possibly just the normal ageing process.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're forgiven. Please feel free to take down the whole post and start again if you want. Just finished watching the latest Giro stage, complete with obligitory crash. Aru now in pink (terrible colour combo with baby blue) and poor Ritchie nowhere to be seen. Poor kid can't get a break this race. At least he has a dry & warm motor home to go back to tonight. I wonder if the theory behind Andyhab is it takes approx 6 months for every year of following him to ween yourself off him? I started really getting into racing in 2010 (oh that fateful tour...) and am almost cured. No doubt it will take longer for you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. *laughs* No, I must learn to stop making this particular mistake.

    I can't believe I was typing this, while Richie was being flung to the tarmac just .2kms short of the 3km cut-off point.... I haven't seen the coverage yet, that treat awaits me after tea tonight, if LLB's faithful HD recorder has done its job.

    When we watch it, I shall avert my eyes at the sight of Aru - who I maintain looks just like Eddie, the Mad Flatmate from Friends - with a pink jersey over his baby blue shorts. *shudders*

    Interesting theory about Andyhab: I, too, have been a fan since that fateful 2010 tour, from the Stage 15 "Stomach of Anger" moment, to be precise. I've been watching the racing for years, but was never really "into" it before that moment. I used to enjoy the interplay of colours in the peloton, but not much more. It was either watch the Tour,or not see LLB for the month of July, that's the only reason I used to watch it.

    Until there was Andy... *sigh*. My heart went bompity bomp when I watched that fateful interview. He was so restrained! So angry, but so polite about it. Any other athlete, in any other sport, would have been effing and blinding but not Our Andy: no, he just has a stomach full of anger. "I would not have ridden like that" he said.

    And the rest is history. First there was Schleckland, then there was Scary Italian Stalker Bitch, then Schleckland was dismantled, then there was outcry on Twitter (d'aaw, you guys were so sweet!) so then there was Eisen Andy. And now Andy is retired, but technically I am still following him, so your Andyhab theory is a good one but presumably the weaning process won't start until I actually stop following him?

    Don't forget, Schlecklanders: "a true fan is not one who was there at the beginning, a true fan is one who was there at the end."

    And I was there, in London, at the end. *sobs* I breathed the same air that he breathed. Didn't manage to see his boat, unfortunately, curse it, but I did see Fabs, and Kittel... hmmm, not much of a consolation prize, really.

    Coug

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ohhhhh who's the scary Italian Stalker Bitch? Did I miss something?
    Actually I was just talking about the idiot Stinkoff (like the idiot Baines in Waiting for God) today and hoping sometime from Stinkoff will win something to stop him tossing his toys and firing everyone like a spoilt little boy, I think he needs a jolly got smacking and put in time out!

    On a more exciting note I'm in Italy at the moment and heading for the TT tomorrow for a bit of stalking😉 oops I mean perving, no no no I mean fan support....truely I do! Look out if see the Idiot Stinkoff!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, I thought you were into Andy way before then. Rookie mistake. I have another theory then, this time it's proximity. I'm in Australia, hence a bloody long way from Lux & never been to a race that Andy was actually in - my three 'pets' are Bling, Ritchie & Mark Renshaw, all of whom I've seen race 'for real'.
    Yes, the stomach of anger quote will always be remembered... I hope he's enjoying life and his gorgeous little family brings him much happiness.
    Keep writing, I drop by every now & then for a giggle at your observations...!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Bikegirl, how have you missed the story of the SISB? I'll tell it again, some time... meanwhile, have a great time at the TT, throw a brick at the Idiot Stinkoff if you happen to see him, and don't get arrested.

    Allyson - no, I am a latecomer to the Andy Party, but I think I threw myself into it a bit more than most people my age!! You could be on to something with the proximity suggestion: I am, after all, only 453 miles away from him (7 hrs 25mins to drive there). Err, according to google maps, that is. Not that I've checked. Just a figure out of the air, a rough guess. And estimate. Shutting up now.

    Coug

    PS "didn't manage to see his boat" = "didn't manage to see his face", with apologies to non-Londoners.
    ("boat race" = "face")

    ReplyDelete
  8. Tinkoff is a typical Russian oligarch. This is business as usual in that circle. Westerners have a very difficult time with it as it just doesn't mesh with how we do business. For us, a contract is a contract. For them, a contract means nothing, unless YOU are the one who wants out.

    ReplyDelete