Friday 10 October 2014

The start of an era...

... and it's one without Andy in the peloton, but he says he'll still be around: he's not dead, you know, and he said in the post-conference interview that although he can't be a pro-rider, he still knows a massive amount about cycling, tactics etc.

*suppresses unworthy thought that if he's no longer cycling, he might actually be more accessible than he was before*

So he might be a coach, he might start the Schleck School of Cycling, he might be Frankie's soigneur, we might see him in the team car at races, he might be commentating - he does speak at least four and a half languages,  you know - and you can bet that the sponsors will still be interested in him, he'll be drawing crowds wherever he goes for years to come.

So it's not all gloom and doom, although of course we are all sad for him, he was visibly upset at the press conference, but what a man, eh? To stand up there in front of a million flash guns, with a wobble in his voice, and to bravely tell us all that he's retiring due to the knee - and a thousand curses on that stupid spectator (not the pink shirt bloke, although curses on him anyway, and on all spectators who impede the race) who knocked Sky's Garcia to the ground, which caused the fall involving Our Andy, as well as Simon Gerrans and a couple of others. They all got up and carried on, but as we know, Andy's knee was permanently damaged by that crash, so if that was you, it was YOUR fault. May you get punctures every single time you leave the house.

A lot of riders would have just issued a bulletin, but I really admire Andy for standing there in public and saying it.

He commented that the ligaments in his knee had recovered well, but not the cartilage: he said "there is hardly any cartilage left under my knee" and that there was a risk of permanent damage if he continued trying to train. "I've done everything..." he said, and you could hear the desperation and frustration in his voice.

I'm not medically trained, I don't know if cartilage can re-grow, or whether it can be surgically replaced, so there is still a chance (in my mind, at least!) that he might return - but it sounds as though, for now at least, he has accepted that this is the end of his pro-rider career.

I shall watch with interest to see what happens.

Meanwhile, somewhere in Luxembourg:

The phone rings.
TinkerJil: "I'll get it, don't get up, love,"
(she answers the phone)
Andy: "Who is it?"
TinkerJil: "It's Jensie, he says now that you are both retired, he has a suggestion....."

4 comments:

  1. "It's Jensie, he says now that you are both retired, he has a suggestion....." Oh I like this idea! : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Will miss our glorious leader. Maybe Frank can become the interim leader until a baby schleck grows up into a pro cyclist?

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sad to see Andy retire so young. I'm losing interest as my favourites retire and cycling seems to become more formulaic.
    What are you going to do about blogging? Will you start a new one on cycling in general? It would be a shame to lose your sense of humour and fun writing style from the blogosphere.
    emjay

    ReplyDelete
  4. I quite liked the idea of Jensie and Andy commentating together, that would be a hoot: and hey CeCe, nice idea but I'm sorry, I can't transfer to Frankie, and I can't wait 20 years before Teo hits the pro peloton.

    But I might carry on blogging for a bit - I've sort of got in the habit of it, over the years, and although it seems a bit disloyal to Andy to drop his name from the title, well, it's not as though he actually reads it, is it?

    LLB says that I should just do a general cycling blog, I'm not sure if there would be that many people actually interested in reading it, but I'll maybe give it a go and see what sort of viewing figures I get. *checks racing calendar* Hmm, I picked the wrong time to change direction, didn't I? *laughs*

    Figgy kindly suggested a great long list of names for the new title, and I quite like the Daily Musette, but if anyone can think of anything better, do feel free to suggest it. I nearly went with "Cycling Shorts" but LLB disapproved, he thought it would encourage the "wrong" sort of audience!!

    And EmJay, don't give up altogether: there should be a whole new generation coming through, and I will still be picking Schleckland pets and bringing them to your attention. There's one I saw in Europcar in Paris-Tours who I think will go far... more of that later.

    And of course I will always have the Andydar alert for any news of Our Glorious Leader.

    Coug

    ReplyDelete